Hi,
    I've been trying throughout 5 days to solve that puzzle by using the sliders (counting them). I've got the keys from the books and sequence as written there. I don't dare to write here the key numbers from piano, because it will be like a spoiler/walkthrough, but in one of the messages I've seen the confirmation to the key numbers.
    At first I've been trying to count from zero (down level of the slider), then I thought maybe I should count from one.

I know I have to copy the notes to the sliders so they sound exactly the same and click on the level, but no matter how many times I tried I couldn't get the results.
    In fact, I have few questions:

1. From which number do I have to count moving sliders: 0 or 1 ?
    2. Do I have to move the slider upwards or downwards?
    3. To solve the puzzle and get the book is it enough to move sliders to correct positions? Do I have to play on piano or reinitialize the puzzle? Or maybe do I have to turn the switch on the ladder outside the spaceship (just nearby the spaceship there is a ladder to the switch). If I have already access to inside of the spaceship I don't have to turn that switch also.

Thanks in advance,
    Eduard.

Answers,

1- from one. ==> From the bottom position, and from the left count up: 8, 20,23,13,6
    (your hand needs to be very steady, needs a reliable mouse and you could check (slow down) the mouse/cursor speed from your computer control panel)

2- upward.

3- To solve the puzzle and get the book is it enough to move sliders to correct positions?
    -yes

Do I have to play on piano or reinitialize the puzzle?
    -no (only played by those who have extreme good hearing and who are very musically inclined)

Do I have to turn the switch on the ladder outside the spaceship (just nearby the spaceship there is a ladder to the switch)
    -No, unless you set the voltage too high in the generator room. Then the breaker would trip.

If I have already access to inside of the spaceship I don't have to turn that switch also.
    -yes, that is right

Hi,
    I has gotten
    exactly the same key combination and counted from 1 upward - still nothing worked out. I will try this puzzle later. I admit I have tried for maybe hundred of times. Nothing helped.

Thanks,
    Eduard.

It might be a fun idea to ask a friend to have a go at those sliders.

Turning up the audio a bit more to hear the half tones/differences, which also count as one notch, might help.

wstrohm's Avatar Senior Member
    I always have trouble with the tone changing slightly (a half-tone) when I let go of the mouse button. Then I have to go back and reset it slightly.

Something is wrong with piano puzzle. No matter how many times I try to use these sliders to solve the puzzle (by the same key combination that was previously mentioned) - nothing happens. I am desperate! I think the only way for me to get to the end of the game is to get from somebody a saved game with that puzzle solved (enough only that puzzle solved, because I SOLVED ALL THREE AGES ALREADY)!
    It is funny but I solved almost all ages besides Selentic ages and anything that prevents me from ending the game successfully is to solve that piano-puzzle that only gets me on my nerves.

If somebody can upload a saved myst game to the mail: edmalikin@gmail.com - I would be mostly greatful.

Thanks, Eduard.

Can you not hear the different tones?

If you can't, can you get someone who can? To me this puzzle was one of the easiest. I know how to read music and match tones fairly well.

If there is a glitch... hmm... what could possibly cause it I wonder? Why would that glitch be present in your game but not in mine? I don't get computers sometimes.

EDIT

I would get you a savegame, but the game won't run on my machine at the moment.

Hi, Gyp

Of corse, I'm not deaf, I can see when tone change while moving the sliders. I know the position of notes to move sliders to. Still, after having tried maybe hundred of times with no solution solved it only makes me believe that something is wrong there.

The problem in this puzzle, is as you move the sliders to the positions you never know which position it is if you miscount the tones. If I move the slider and hear another tone I add 1 to the counter of the position.

PC, which position has slider on his bottom position? 0 or 1? Because the bottom position of slider produces sounds/tone too!

Thanks,
    Eduard.

Assuming that you're running Win XP, do the following in the order shown.

1. Reset your mouse sensitivity. Write down your original sensitivity settings, so that you can go back to them later.
    -- a. Log into Windows with full Administrator privileges, and close all open applications. Do NOT boot up with the Myst DVD in the drive.
    -- b. Click on Start > Control Panel > Mouse.
    -- c. Click on the Pointer Options tab.
    ----- 1. Under "Motion", move the Select a pointer speed: slider fully to the left (Slow).
    ----- 2. Under "Motion", click on the Enhance pointer precision box to put a check in it.
    -- d. Click on Apply > OK.
    -- e. Close Control Panel back to the Desktop.

2. Start Myst.
    -- a. Insert the Myst DVD into the drive, and allow it to spin up to speed.
    -- b. Click on the Myst icon to start the game.

3. Set the Spaceship tone sliders, and go to the Selenitic Age.
    -- a. Slider numbering:
    ----- 1. The slider positions are numbered from left to right, slider 1 being the left-most and slider 5 being the right-most.
    ----- 2. The bottom position of each slider is tone 1, the first tone up is tone 2, the second tone up is tone 3, etc.
    -- b. When moving a slider, do so slowly. Be careful that you:
    ----- 1. Do not count two tones/slider notches as only one.
    ----- 2. Do not skip a tone/notch by moving the mouse too rapidly.
    -- c. If you are not completely certain that you have moved a slider the proper number of tones/notches (like if you think you may have miscounted), move the slider back to its bottom position, and then move it up again. Do NOT, for example, "add 1 to the counter of the position".
    -- d. Be careful that releasing the mouse button does not move the slider.
    ----- 1. Watch closely, and do not allow your hand to move the mouse when you release the button.
    ----- 2. The slider *must* remain in its proper position after you release the mouse button!
    -- e. The proper slider positions are:
    ----- Slider 1 = 8 tones up (7 moves/notches of the slider)
    ----- Slicer 2 = 20 tones up (19 moves/notches of the slider)
    ----- Slider 3 = 23 tones up (22 moves/notches of the slider)
    ----- Slider 4 = 13 tones up (12 moves/notches of the slider)
    ----- Slider 5 = 6 tones s up (5 moves/notches of the slider)
    -- f. Pull the handle on the mechanism. If you did the slider setting properly, the notes play, a light comes on, and the transport book appears on the screen.
    -- g. Click on the book to go to the Selenitic Age.
    -- h. Save your game progress at this point, and quit Myst. Do NOT Alt-Tab back to the Desktop!

4. Reset your mouse pointer sensitivity, and continue the game.
    -- a. Set your mouse sensitivity back to where it started by reversing the changes you made above.
    -- b. Restart Myst, load your saved progress, and continue the game.

Originally posted by adikm2007:
    Hi, Gyp

Of corse, I'm not deaf, I can see when tone change while moving the sliders. I know the position of notes to move sliders to. Still, after having tried maybe hundred of times with no solution solved it only makes me believe that something is wrong there.

The problem in this puzzle, is as you move the sliders to the positions you never know which position it is if you miscount the tones. If I move the slider and hear another tone I add 1 to the counter of the position.

PC, which position has slider on his bottom position? 0 or 1? Because the bottom position of slider produces sounds/tone too!

Thanks,
    Eduard.
    How does the puzzle involve counting? I never counted anything when I did this puzzle...