Birdseed007's Avatar Member

Need more middle of the road music

I've been playing Rocksmith for around a year and love it but I do find a lot of the music offcially released is pretty heavy/.grungy for my taste. I know I'm an old fart (46) but there does seem to be a real shortage of middle of the road stuff to download - I'm thinking about bands like Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, JJ Cale, ELO, the Beatles, James Taylor, Status Quo, Del Amitri - kind of MOR if you like, the stuff that's played and loved by middle aged folks! Melodic rock I guess you could call it! There's also pretty melodic stuff by relatively unknown bands like The La's 'There She goes' too that I know would be easier to licence than stuff by the big names.

I just wonder if this is deliberate by Ubisoft or Is it that people who listen to more extreme/grunge type music are younger, more web savvy and more likely to request songs and thus they are the ones that get released?

It strikes me that there's a huge market out there for mellower more middle of the road bands than much of what has been officially released and there's generally a much broader and wider audience for middle of the road stuff than there is for more discordant stuff from the left field. If you don't believe me look at the biggest selling artists in recorded history and they are predominantly middle of the road acts - heck even the Rolling Stones are melodic by the standards of slipnot, Deathlok, Slayer etc.

Are Ubi making a big marketing mistake here? Is the studio run my a bunch of metalheads/grunge fiends? Not being insulting - just curious and would welcome views? It's just that everytime there's a bunch of new stuff released I keep hoping for stuff that's more middle of the road to buy and it seems it rarely happens.

Birdseed007

My whole take on the thing over the years is that certain genres lead people to want to play guitar. And the biggest genre for that is Heavy Metal. So much so that I think if you had a 10 pack of Metallica songs, and sold it for $30, no singles, no discounts, it would still be the biggest selling DLC pack by a landslide. As for the middle of the road, you really need an icon to be relevant such as Brian May of Queen. To that reasoning, I believe Ubi might actually be going out of it's way to please you and me, who don't necessarily care for Metal. And that middle of the road really means Guns and Roses, or something just shy of full on Metal.

Originally Posted by Birdseed007 Go to original post
    I've been playing Rocksmith for around a year and love it but I do find a lot of the music offcially released is pretty heavy/.grungy for my taste. I know I'm an old fart (46) but there does seem to be a real shortage of middle of the road stuff to download - I'm thinking about bands like Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, JJ Cale, ELO, the Beatles, James Taylor, Status Quo, Del Amitri - kind of MOR if you like, the stuff that's played and loved by middle aged folks! Melodic rock I guess you could call it! There's also pretty melodic stuff by relatively unknown bands like The La's 'There She goes' too that I know would be easier to licence than stuff by the big names.

I just wonder if this is deliberate by Ubisoft or Is it that people who listen to more extreme/grunge type music are younger, more web savvy and more likely to request songs and thus they are the ones that get released?

It strikes me that there's a huge market out there for mellower more middle of the road bands than much of what has been officially released and there's generally a much broader and wider audience for middle of the road stuff than there is for more discordant stuff from the left field. If you don't believe me look at the biggest selling artists in recorded history and they are predominantly middle of the road acts - heck even the Rolling Stones are melodic by the standards of slipnot, Deathlok, Slayer etc.

Are Ubi making a big marketing mistake here? Is the studio run my a bunch of metalheads/grunge fiends? Not being insulting - just curious and would welcome views? It's just that everytime there's a bunch of new stuff released I keep hoping for stuff that's more middle of the road to buy and it seems it rarely happens.

Birdseed007
    +1 completely agree ...DLC that's better known, from the Top40 on request app would be much better than a lot of recent dlc. I'm glad they got Cars & Jimi, Rush, Police, the Who...more top classic rock/pop from WELL Known bands like that, for those of us in our 40s/50s would be so much better than grunge/recent bs dlc. Look at the rock band 2,000+ track dlc.

Danny-Ramone's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by oldgeezer99 Go to original post
    +1 completely agree ...DLC that's better known, from the Top40 on request app would be much better than a lot of recent dlc. I'm glad they got Cars & Jimi, Rush, Police, the Who...more top classic rock/pop from WELL Known bands like that, for those of us in our 40s/50s would be so much better than grunge/recent bs dlc. Look at the rock band 2,000+ track dlc.
    The top 40 requests is full of metal. I guess, as intimated above, this is what attracts many people to the guitar.

Still, I think we can't complain (personally I can't stand Metal, and I own a total of 2 CDs by artists from the Top 40), as we've recently seen a bit more Rootsy (Country, Blues) stuff coming through. Mostly though, there's little point in complaining. Ubi will release what they think will sell, and that appears to be heavy on Metal and Grunge.

I'd guess it is down to licensing, those big bands from our childhood have been monetising their back catalogs for decades now, I'm guessing they don't come cheap.

They are also likely very brand conscious and may feel that association with a video game somehow would tarnish their musicians credibility. Younger bands who grew up with video games, iPhones and the internet would likely have a very different view on having their work appear in a "video game".

All just pure speculation of course, I'd love to have many, many more songs from the artists on your list.

People have different ideas what middle of the road is. For a lot of folks you are describing classic rock, which we have a lot of.

Comes down to requests, licenses, and apparently also their staffing.

I suggested once on here that everyone go and request certain songs from U2 and was told that wasn't allowed in the forum, so all I will suggest is you request the tunes you want and wait.

I requested Rancid and we got 'em, so who knows!

Birdseed007's Avatar Member
    Good to hear you guys feel much the same way as I do which at least shows that there is popular support for my views! I suppose the solution is for us all to pop in more requests for the sort of stuff we want and hope that eventually that will translate into new dlc. I have put some requests in and urge the rest of you to do the same. I think it would also be interesting to get a view from a Ubi representative on here at least to answer my comment.

Brg,

Birdseed007

good points....re licensing though look at Rock Band & Guitar Hero, over 2,000 licensed songs. At least RS isn't a plastic guitar game tho lol

Minky's Avatar Member
    I’m pretty sure Ubisoft are not shunning the bands you mention out a bias towards newer bands. I suspect it’s more to do with licensing. Several of those bands are big-names and I guess Ubisoft would welcome them onto Rocksmith with open arms.

Of course it’s also possible that older bands my not be receptive to having their songs converted into use for what they may see as a frivolous game, where as younger bands may regard it more positively. But that’s just a guess on my part, and it probably has more to with management and rights going back decades that make it harder to licence old material.

Personally given all the hassle and work involved in getting songs licensed and into the game I think they’ve done a pretty good job – for what is after all a pretty niche game – and in the process I have been introduced to some bands I’d never heard of before (or not paid much attention too), which is always a good thing. If fact since buying Rocksmith my music purchases increased considerably.

As for MOR being loved by middle aged folk, I’m in my late 40’s and spent much of early years licensing to metal and grunge – Nirvana’s ‘Nevermind’ came out in 1991 after all.

JarredMcAdams's Avatar Ubisoft SF Game Designer
    The fact of the matter is that on any given week, most players are going to be disappointed with the DLC. Even with slam dunk releases that do way better than average, more people are against it than for it. There's no reservoir of universally beloved music that we just haven't thought of yet. So given that on a GREAT week, maybe 40% of our customers will be into what we offer, all we can do is try to spread the love around and try to please different parts of our audience each week.

What this means from your perspective is that there might be a few weeks between you getting the kind of music you like the most. So we do put out things like the Cars, and the Doors, and Fleetwood Mac, and Bob Dylan, and Bill Withers, and Santana, and CCR, and Kansas, and Queen, and Boston, and Blondie, and Pat Benatar, and Bon Jovi, and Billy Idol, and Foreigner, and Survivor, Rick Springfield,, and Duran Duran, and and Foghat and lots of other "middle-of-the-road" type stuff... all stuff I think you'd like. But if we only did that, there'd be a huge segment of players who are into metal, or indie rock, or punk, or blues, or 90s alternative political funk, or whatever who are just left out. So we mix it up as much as we can.

There's a lot of people out there who like a lot of different kinds of music, and we want them all to play the guitar. And for what it's worth, from a music pedagogy perspective, playing different kinds of music is good for you. But we're not looking to make anybody play anything they don't like... just understand that there are a lot of people out there with strong feelings about what music should be in the game, but they don't all agree on what it should be. On any given week, a lot people might be unhappy with the release, but over time, everybody will get their turn.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►