🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The Rocksmith forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game
    keep in mind Ubi has years of data on what DLC sells and which does not. I am sure this has a large impact on what is selected. If they release Band A and it Band B and Band B outsells Band A by 50-60% they are going to try for more artists that are similar to Band B than Band A.

As for Rockband having 2000+ songs, first that has been around much longer. Second there are actually artists out there who would license for a game like that, and then refuse something like Rocksmith because Rockband does not actually teach you to play well Rocksmith does.

Mr_Scrogger's Avatar Member
    I never thought Rocksmith was too heavy into metal. Pretty sure for every metal/thrash/speed song you can find 3 songs that aren't.

What I really like is that every now and then RS throws something into the DLC bin that I have never heard (i.e. not my type of music) and it turns out to be a really neat song and fun to play. It has been said that you make the most progress when you get out of your comfort zone and I don't doubt it one bit.

Minky's Avatar Member
    I totally agree with you Mr_Scrogger.

Birdseed007's Avatar Member
    Jarred,

Firstly a big thank-you for taking the time and trouble to reply. I completely agree that you can't please all of the people all of the time and for sure music is a very personal thing and it's good to push yourself beyond your comfort zone. Like others I have discovered artists who I didn't know before through Rocksmith, however I still would argue that for every 'MOR' type song there are 4-5 heavy metal/grunge type songs. When I looked at your own website http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-gb/music/ I do feel there is a very definite leaning for grunge/heavy metal but I appreciate that the classic rock artists might be tough to licence.

Please take this feedback in the spirit in which it is intended. I truly believe and have said to many people that I think Rocksmith is the greatest piece of software I have ever seen. It has introduced I and thousands of others to an instrument we had always longed to play but couldn't. I have started combing through the tracks on offer to work out which ones I might want to biuy/download and I reckon thwere's over 100 tracks in there I would like to download so you're doing pretty well and the truth is I am just keen to enhance an already amazxing piece of software.

many thanks for creating it,

Birdseed007

I think it would be really cool if someone was to take one of those DLC databases you can find on the Internet and add a new column called "genre" and then do a sort by genre. It might be surprising how it looks in a pie chart!! It's probably a lot more even then we all think it is. There seems to be a psychological effect going on where we say there is not enough old music or not enough new music or not enough punk, metal, or not enough of whatever it is that we personally like. I am 54 years old, and can remember when Dark Side of the Moon was released and the feeling I had the first time I heard that heartbeat, so yeah, I would love to see that kind of stuff be available to buy, but at the same time, I am discovering all kinds of new music through this game that I had never heard before and find surprisingly fun to play. The Rancid pack is the latest example of that. I look forward to each new DLC release and I find myself buying about 70% of it, whether it is a band I know or not. The rocksmith guys have access to all the stats, and they can see what sells and what doesn't sell. If the average age of their customers is 21 years old, what does that mean for the type of music that will sell well? Guys like me get all excited when the Hendrix stuff gets put out there, but only the rocksmith team can see how many people actually bought it. What does the 20 something crowd think of that? I am happy that us oldies get the amount of generation specific music we get. More would be better of course, but business is business and Rocksmith will always ultimately be driven by a sound business model, not the desires of us old rockers.

JarredMcAdams's Avatar Ubisoft SF Game Designer
    Originally Posted by Birdseed007 Go to original post
    Jarred,

Firstly a big thank-you for taking the time and trouble to reply. I completely agree that you can't please all of the people all of the time and for sure music is a very personal thing and it's good to push yourself beyond your comfort zone. Like others I have discovered artists who I didn't know before through Rocksmith, however I still would argue that for every 'MOR' type song there are 4-5 heavy metal/grunge type songs. When I looked at your own website http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-gb/music/ I do feel there is a very definite leaning for grunge/heavy metal but I appreciate that the classic rock artists might be tough to licence.

Please take this feedback in the spirit in which it is intended. I truly believe and have said to many people that I think Rocksmith is the greatest piece of software I have ever seen. It has introduced I and thousands of others to an instrument we had always longed to play but couldn't. I have started combing through the tracks on offer to work out which ones I might want to biuy/download and I reckon thwere's over 100 tracks in there I would like to download so you're doing pretty well and the truth is I am just keen to enhance an already amazxing piece of software.

many thanks for creating it,

Birdseed007
    What you have to be careful about is breaking it down in terms of Stuff I Like vs. Everything Else. If you look at the things that meet your standards versus everything else, then it's going to look like a small percentage of the whole. But keep in mind that Everything Else breaks down into dozens of genres and subgenres. For the people who like punk, there's Punk vs. Everything Else. For the people like Metal, it's Metal vs. Everything Else. Any one genre is always going to be a relatively small percentage of the whole, because there are just SO MANY genres out there.

We also get into a problem of whose definition to use. You seem to group Metal and Grunge together, but I think a lot of Metal fans would balk at that. And where are the dividing lines? Is Iron Maiden metal or Classic Rock? What about Kiss? What about Steppenwolf? What about Hendrix? At some point the labels stop being useful.

What you can and should do is use the request app to let us know exactly what music you'd like to see in the game. We can't request the rights to a genre, but we can request the rights to a song, and we rely heavily on the request app data to determine which ones to ask for.

BazzTard61's Avatar Banned
    I believe us older folks (54 here) are in the minority. So most of the requests are from younger players who like all this new fangled music. Ubi are just catering to their biggest market.

And young people are more likely to want to learn guitar,let's face it, WE should've learnt decades ago

To be fair,a lot of the artists I have never heard of before turned out to have some nice music and I have enjoyed discovering them.

Young punks are over represented here, but that's what they wanna learn. BTW they aren't punks really, ,the only thing punk about them is the genre they put themselves in.

The Stooges were punk. The Saints were punk. These kids are not. They are pure pop mostly.

stray75's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by BazzTard61 Go to original post
    ...I have enjoyed discovering them...
    Yep. I'm in the same boat. The DLC and some of the on disk tunes were not things I would ever have considered under 'normal' circumstances, but some of this stuff is pretty damn good. Mind is grudgingly opening.

Originally Posted by Birdseed007 Go to original post
    I've been playing Rocksmith for around a year and love it but I do find a lot of the music offcially released is pretty heavy/.grungy for my taste. I know I'm an old fart (46) but there does seem to be a real shortage of middle of the road stuff to download - I'm thinking about bands like Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, JJ Cale, ELO, the Beatles, James Taylor, Status Quo, Del Amitri - kind of MOR if you like, the stuff that's played and loved by middle aged folks! Melodic rock I guess you could call it! There's also pretty melodic stuff by relatively unknown bands like The La's 'There She goes' too that I know would be easier to licence than stuff by the big names.

I just wonder if this is deliberate by Ubisoft or Is it that people who listen to more extreme/grunge type music are younger, more web savvy and more likely to request songs and thus they are the ones that get released?

It strikes me that there's a huge market out there for mellower more middle of the road bands than much of what has been officially released and there's generally a much broader and wider audience for middle of the road stuff than there is for more discordant stuff from the left field. If you don't believe me look at the biggest selling artists in recorded history and they are predominantly middle of the road acts - heck even the Rolling Stones are melodic by the standards of slipnot, Deathlok, Slayer etc.

Are Ubi making a big marketing mistake here? Is the studio run my a bunch of metalheads/grunge fiends? Not being insulting - just curious and would welcome views? It's just that everytime there's a bunch of new stuff released I keep hoping for stuff that's more middle of the road to buy and it seems it rarely happens.

Birdseed007
    I have to disagree with you, the type of music you describe is supported well on rocksmith. Spare a thought for those that like sludge, doom metal or even stoner/ desert rock who will never get a chance to have their music in the game.

toymachinesh's Avatar Senior Member
    where is my Norwegian Black Metal? Not even one song in 4 years?!!?! wtf ubisoft *writes up lawsuit*