View Poll Results: Being its Christmas and everything i am going to upgrade my PC but i cant decide what i want to do

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Go with the AMD 64

14 66.67%
  • Go with the P4

7 33.33%
  • Other (please post)

0 0%

tsisqua's Avatar Senior Member
    Intel P4 3.06 Front Side Bus: 800
    AMD64 3200+, no FSB, Data is moved at 1.6 GIGS!

I have this processor, and I am telling you that, at the moment, it kicks the Pentium's a$$. The unreal part of this is that I won't see what it really can do until the 64bit software is out.

Tsalagi Asgaya Equa

what kind of RAM do you use with that setup?

Cajun76's Avatar Senior Member
    AMD 3200+ 64

Here's some info on the AMD 3200+ 64

I like mine, too.

Motherboard: MSI K8T NEO-FIS2R K8T800
    Proccessor: Athlon 64 3200+ w/400FSB
    CPU Cooling: Thermaltake AMD K8 Venus 7+
    RAM: GeIL Golden Dragon 1GB
    PC3200 400MHz Dual
    Channel DDR
    Video Card: OC Systems 9700Pro Level III w/ 128Mb (415/730MHz)
    CD Drives: Sony 16X DVD 40X CD-ROM
    Sony DVD+RW/-RW 4x (8x32x24x10x4)
    Hardrives: Western Digital 80Gb 7200rpm w/ 8Mb cache
    Western Digital 120Gb 7200rpm w/ 8Mb cache
    Case: Lian-Li PC-60 Aluminum Mid-Tower Case
    Power Supply: Thermaltake W0011 Dual Fan 480W
    Moniter: 19" Samsung flat CRT
    HOTAS: (for FB) TM Top Gun Afterburner
    TM Cougar (stock, but soon to upgrade)

I almost went with comparable Corsair memory, PC 3200 DDR, but it was a bit more expensive with no real, solid boost in CAS latency settings. Your milege may vary....

Good hunting,
    Cajun76

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -Aristotle

Meanwhile, in the 20th century:

BOOM! Yeah, Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my JUG!! It's has 8 .50cals and 2000lbs+ worth of bombs and rockets. Republic's top of the line. You can find this in the Kick A$$ department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Farmingdale, Long Island and Evansville, Indiana. Retails for about $82,997.95. It's got a turbo-supercharger, all metal control surfaces with blunt nosed ailerons, and a hair trigger. That's right, shop right, shop Republic. YOU GOT THAT!? Now I swear, the next one of you primates, E-ven TOUCHES me..... - Anonymous

Cajun76's Avatar Senior Member
    PS- You can find the GeIL Golden Dragon at www.ocsystems.com

Good hunting,
    Cajun76

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -Aristotle

Meanwhile, in the 20th century:

BOOM! Yeah, Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my JUG!! It's has 8 .50cals and 2000lbs+ worth of bombs and rockets. Republic's top of the line. You can find this in the Kick A$$ department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Farmingdale, Long Island and Evansville, Indiana. Retails for about $82,997.95. It's got a turbo-supercharger, all metal control surfaces with blunt nosed ailerons, and a hair trigger. That's right, shop right, shop Republic. YOU GOT THAT!? Now I swear, the next one of you primates, E-ven TOUCHES me..... - Anonymous

LeadSpitter_'s Avatar Banned
    Any tech knows the p4 is superior in speed, the new amds are very close and alot lower in price, with the fastest ram and great ati 9800 256k they can run very close. but the p4 3.2 decked out is significantly faster but more $$$

check tomshardwareguide for accurate test results

VIEW MY PAINTSCHEMES HERE

tsisqua's Avatar Senior Member
    With reference to ram, the AMD64 will not tolerate less than perfect ram. If you have a set of "matched"sticks, they must be correctly matched. If you think that you are ok because you have Corsair, or some other well respected memory, you need to have a look at this thread over at the AMD site. This guy had alot of people test their ram, and guess what . . . I'll let you look for yourself. The RAM manufacturers have been getting away with this for quite some time, but won't anymore. 32 bit processors have been letting this slide, but 64bit will not.
    http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=3413

Now, before you take anyone's word, go here for benchmarks:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030923/

Tsalagi Asgaya Equa

All of this depends on budget dude. At this point,P4. Because a new socket for the AMD's'll be released in a few months and THEN 64' 'll be interesting to buy but for now,don't.
    And for the RAM isseu.
    Go with corsair or something like that and make sure you have dual channel motherboard and you get lets say 2*512MB of RAM in dualchannel this'll give you one hell of a performance

i have not heard anything about the ram problem. im still undecided