Eif87's Avatar Junior Member
    Hey guys! Because I lack the money right now to get the expansion pack (which features Japanese fighters and a new island map plus many more things, so I hear), I wanted to make a pacific air battle/ship attack map. I was flying as a Zero and I wanted to do a Kamikaze attack. So I lined up with the ship and hit the ship dead on, but it didn't even flinch! Not one fire, black smoke stack, etc. It just kept moving on. I have seen videos of Japanese fighters ramming into ships and sinking them (Cherrry Blosom Video IIRC) and I was wondering if this feature was only limited to the Expansion Pack.

Thanks Guys!

Eif

Eif87's Avatar Junior Member
    Hey guys! Because I lack the money right now to get the expansion pack (which features Japanese fighters and a new island map plus many more things, so I hear), I wanted to make a pacific air battle/ship attack map. I was flying as a Zero and I wanted to do a Kamikaze attack. So I lined up with the ship and hit the ship dead on, but it didn't even flinch! Not one fire, black smoke stack, etc. It just kept moving on. I have seen videos of Japanese fighters ramming into ships and sinking them (Cherrry Blosom Video IIRC) and I was wondering if this feature was only limited to the Expansion Pack.

Thanks Guys!

Eif

BennyMoore's Avatar Banned
    It's not even in the expansion pack. Perhaps it will be in Pacific Fighers. It had better be.

As it is, aircraft collisions do zero damage to ships. Ahem...

If you look closely in the Cherry Blossoms video, the ship that sinks has a teeny bit of help from torpedo bombers, IIRC.

Fun video, though... Oddly relaxing. Must be the music.

Later,
    Ak

----------------
    MACHINE GUN : JAMMED
    FUEL TANK: LEAK
    ENGINE: ON FIRE
    PILOT: WOUNDED
    ...Yeah, it's gonna be one of those days...

In addition to the torpedoes mentioned, the Kamikaze had their planes filled to the brim with explosives. That adds a bit to the impact.

However, I tried out ship hunting with a Mistel (an '88 filled with directional explosives) which was a lot of fun. However, I failed to make much impact on ships with it. It would get a transporter to burn, but would not make even a dent in a destroyer or light cruiser. On the other hand, much less explosives in the form of bombs did very well. I think there's something funny about the way damage to ships is modelled in the game.

Fly friendly!

Petter Bøckman
    Norway

PBNA-Boosher's Avatar Senior Member
    It's not the ships, its the way that the model for damage when planes crash into ships is modeled. It is not modeled to create damage at all. This is why the Mistel bomb won't work. It just isn't modeled.

Boosher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Friendly_flyer:
    In addition to the torpedoes mentioned, the Kamikaze had their planes filled to the brim with explosives. That adds a bit to the impact.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IIRC, each Kamikaze Zeros were loaded with up to 500 (kgs? lbs?) of bomb.

So will there be a moment in a 'Pacific Fighters' Japanese campaign where you are told that your squadron has been assigned 'Special Attack Duties'? I think it would be appropriate to have a little video of the preparation ceremony to set the tone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:
    It's not the ships, its the way that the model for damage when planes crash into ships is modeled.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a shame, as going ship hunting with the Mistel is really great fun. Try making yourself a mission attacking Yalta harbour at extreme low altitude, coming from the mountains and you'll see what I mean. The blast from the Mistel is impressive. While the light cruiser is left undented, the various vehicles and AA I put on the shore got messed up quite badly.

Too bad the damage to ships isn't modelled. Attacking bridges with the Mistel isn't half as much fun.

Fly friendly!

Petter Bøckman
    Norway