Access to phone contacts

I dont often try to buy things in the shop, but today I went to the daily specials and tried to spend 10 gems on 12500 coins.
    When I clicked it a window popped up with "allow trials frontier to access your contacts list?".
    I denied access of course. Now it seems like I can not spend gems in the shop without sharing all of my friends phone numbers.
    Whyyyyyy?????
    I have so many useless gems and just want some coins to upgrade my silly horse bike XD

PL-k4kshi-TFG's Avatar Senior Member
    1. press buy
    2. allow trials frontier to access your contacts list
    3. enjoy :3

Thanks heaps for that but my main point there was this:
    Why do they want access to my contact list?
    Im not going to click allow. I'll just use the gems on the slot machine instead.

Usually when an app asks for permissions there is a good reason for it

HeaverBeaver115's Avatar Member
    It seems like you still need parts... (k4kshi, you still got that Squirrel parts meme? ) If it's the Stallion you want to upgrade, but in-case you run out of Donkey Donuts, 20 gems a Donkey Donut seems very reasonable, considering how you can get 12500 coins for 10 gems or you get a DD and that takes of 100,000 coins of your upgrade, so it's either worth 1250 coins per gem or 5000 coins per gem, oddly enough, a Tier 5 part is 81,000 coins, less value in terms of coins than the Donkey Donut, yet it's worth 75 gems, more value in terms of gems than the Donkey Donut by a considerable amount. I still need parts to get 4 other bikes maxed out, but I can't be bothered to upgrade them since I never use them now... If you're that desperate, buy Tier 3 parts for coins when you get the option, which is also reasonable since coins are the easiest form of currency to obtain, but why don't they have Tier 4 parts for sale or anything else to use with coins, gems are so scarce, yet are most commonly used. But if you have a ton of gems but you can't spend them, even 15 gems for a Tier 4 part is also a valid option if you're even more desperate... But the ideal method: Wait 72 minutes and do the slot machine as often as you can to give you a load of coins and just get coins to use on the upgrades and/or use 20 gems per Donkey Donut if you don't have them. And why they have access to the contacts list, I'm sure there is a good reason for that, but it's not just on TF though.

xitooner's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by wagonlover Go to original post
    I dont often try to buy things in the shop, but today I went to the daily specials and tried to spend 10 gems on 12500 coins.
    When I clicked it a window popped up with "allow trials frontier to access your contacts list?".
    I denied access of course. Now it seems like I can not spend gems in the shop without sharing all of my friends phone numbers.
    Whyyyyyy?????
    I have so many useless gems and just want some coins to upgrade my silly horse bike XD
    I share your irritation (anyone who dislikes frivolous privacy violations should), and we are not alone. Exactly what you can about it though, is debatable unless you are willing to be inconvenienced... but I'll give you what has been mentioned on the forums:

A good read in general, and has a decent community manager response:
    http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...-and-Processes
    (the quick summary of it though is... when you accepted the EULA...your choice... you accepted their right to collect data, and RL likewise agreed it wont collect personal info or sell it, and treat you as an anonymous source for the data they do collect)

Personally, I'd rather they did NOT try to "serve me better" in this regard....

Something that probably applies regardless of your Android version; doing what you can to tighten your permissions is just a good thing to do
    http://marshmallowupdate.net/manage-...s-marshmallow/

Thanks xitooner, i am already pretty tight on my permissions and thats probably why it bothers me when unnecessary ones pop up.

And Heaverbeaver like you im just trying to max out every bike and I only have the stallion and agent left. Have loads of donuts and parts though, its just the coins I need more of. Guess i'll just need to be patient and keep playing the slot machine.

When I asked about that some weeks ago, I got an answer from Jolly Charly that she would try to find out what's behind this, but didn't hear from her again.

If you absolutely want to buy something in the shop and don't want to alllow access to your contacts, you could have a look at XPrivacy (haven't tried it myself, I used a second device that didn't have any contacts in the first place)

Ubi-JollyCharly's Avatar Community Developer
    Hi everyone,

thanks a lot Xitooner for the info, I didn't know the reason, and actually didn't think of asking Matt...
    The info was closer than I thought, sorry Yjgalla I couldn't come back to you sooner :/

JollyCharly

Spy App

Searching for the cool app that helps with cathing? Then go to http://cellspyapps.org/catch-cheater/ to find al\\everything you need in tracking.

Originally Posted by PL-k4kshi-TFG Go to original post
    1. press buy
    2. allow trials frontier to access your contacts list
    3. enjoy :3

Yes