FatalDragon69's Avatar Senior Member

New Permissions and Processes ??

Before taking the latest Halloween update, I noticed that Trials Frontier is asking for these extra permissions to access my Device & App History all of a sudden.....Can anyone tell me why !?!?

Also, after I took the Halloween update I noticed this new Process is running in the background all the time now.....Anyone know what it's for or why it's suddenly needed !?!?

If someone from RedLynx can answer these then it would be appreciated !?

!! Thanks in Advance for ANY Help or Info !!

Xtabay's Avatar Member
    Yep, would be interesting to know what that service does...

hs46's Avatar Member
    i have the same question

I think it's helpful for them for 2 things
    - To prevent hacking the game through keeping an eye on the device history and so on.
    - to control changing the time thing and eventually having less bugs when you change the time on the device.

For sure these permissions could be misused. Let's hope they wont do it :P

Fevves's Avatar Senior Member
    They already have the means to see clock changes etc. This trend is not welcome and if RL/UBI continues like this they will get sacked from my phone - NEVERMIND I INVESTED MYSELF AND MY IRL TIME IN THIS GAME.

For the moment, I'm auto hibernating TF (as many other apps/games). I might see into revoking few permissions (or disable receivers or stall them at 9999 rate) and see if the game works without them, but I should not be doing this in the first place!!!

Back off with this need of the bulkload of data you want from my phone, as you will get zero in the end if you continue pestering...

I can confirm the game still works even I tossed away many of its permissions and receivers, alongside hybernating it after exiting the game... so why RL/UBI need to tickle my phone at all?

It's a game, and you should not be having so much access to my phone.

Remember this one too - you're not explicitly asking to "know" my location, but if I disable few GPservices loc. receivers, your game is failing to start (when even Gmaps are running well), so? What is going on here?

FatalDragon69's Avatar Senior Member
    All very suspect in my opinion.....Would be nice to have a reply from them about this !?!?

Damn! Is this what Edward Snowden tried to inform us about?

Lol, on a serious note the devs are definitely collecting our device and user informations. All tech companies do!

CagBall's Avatar Senior Member
    I think this is probably something less sinister and may be related to TapJoy. This app needs that sort of info to track rewards etc. and so it wouldn't surprise me if the extra permissions concern that. Only a guess though as I have a tech wizardry of level 0.

Originally Posted by CagBall Go to original post
    I think this is probably something less sinister and may be related to TapJoy. This app needs that sort of info to track rewards etc. and so it wouldn't surprise me if the extra permissions concern that. Only a guess though as I have a tech wizardry of level 0.
    These are thepermissions on Android:

In-app purchases - LOGICAL AND TO BE ENFORCED!

Device & app history - WTF? Purpose of this one (???) as it's obscure as to what exactly they collect and what they do with the data! - BLOCKED!

read your Web bookmarks and history - SAME AS ABOVE!!!

Identity - Maybe, but ummm... NO! AS ABOVE! (what identity??? FFS I'm logged on uPlay, is it not enough???)

find accounts on the device - HELL NO!
    read your own contact card - HELL NO!

Contacts - NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!!! Either of the two listed bellow!

find accounts on the device
    read your contacts

Phone

read phone status and identity - Maybe, but ummm... NO! WHAT FOR?

Photos/Media/Files - Logical, OK (to an extent) DEV - EXPLAIN WHAT EXACTLY YOU'RE DOING WITH THESE AND SHOW THE SOURCE!

modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
    read the contents of your USB storage

Storage - Logical, OK (to an extent) DEV - EXPLAIN WHAT EXACTLY YOU'RE DOING WITH THESE AND SHOW THE SOURCE SEEN THE ABOVE!

modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
    read the contents of your USB storage

Wi-Fi connection information - NO! YOU DON'T NEED TO SEE AND POKE IT!

view Wi-Fi connections

Device ID & call information - NO! YOU DON'T NEED TO SEE AND POKE IT!

read phone status and identity

Other - OMG... mixed ones are the worst, but these bellow seems logical...

receive data from Internet
    change your audio settings
    full network access
    view network connections
    prevent device from sleeping
    run at startup - WHAT FOR!!!!!????????????????!!??????????????
    draw over other apps
    write web bookmarks and history - WHAT FOR!!!!!????????????????!!??????????????
    install shortcuts - WHAT FOR!!!!!????????????????!!??????????????
    uninstall shortcuts - WHAT FOR!!!!!????????????????!!??????????????
    Google Play license check - ALREADY GRANTED!!!!!!!!!!!
    use accounts on the device
    control vibration

What about location??? As already written - disabling few Google Play Services and other Location Receivers/Services, the game is not starting - WHY?

See?

CagBall's Avatar Senior Member
    Wow. Good explantion! Yeah, I only said what I said as a passing thought and I didn't even look at the permissions before posting. I just thought it may explain the permission mentioned above but can obviously see there are some major issues there now you posted them all.

I don't allow location/GPS on my phone or even sign up to google/samsung accounts. I don't think even that would really help with security on my device. I should probably root it to be honest. My problem is not really knowing much about the tech side of things.