I always hear how Il2 was the most produced
    plane of WW2, and BF109 was close 2nd, etc.

But what I'm really wondering is how many planes were produced total in each country, be it fighters, bombers, transport, whatever.

I tried googling it, and i mostly get american and british sites. At that, every one is different , i.e. B17 production 12761 and "over 12000".

Any links appreciated

I always hear how Il2 was the most produced
    plane of WW2, and BF109 was close 2nd, etc.

But what I'm really wondering is how many planes were produced total in each country, be it fighters, bombers, transport, whatever.

I tried googling it, and i mostly get american and british sites. At that, every one is different , i.e. B17 production 12761 and "over 12000".

Any links appreciated

p1ngu666's Avatar Senior Member
    think 109 was 39,000, il2/10 was 35,000. but 109 started WAY earlier than il2, and il2 changed factories too. but there wasnt much let up in production

<123_GWood_JG123> NO SPAM!

I once read the total wartime German production was ~98500 aircraft, ie. 1939-1945. Of these, 3 types; Bf-109 (~33000) FW-190 (~20000) and Ju-88 (~15000) accounted for the majority of production.

The only thing with the 109 total is that it seems to contain all the prewar manufacture of the type, so you would need to find that number and deduct it to get a better estimate of the actual WW2 total produced.

"As weaponry, both were good, but in far different ways from each other. In a nutshell, I describe it this way: if the FW 190 was a sabre, the 109 was a florett, or foil, like that used in the precision art of fencing." - Günther Rall

Look Noobie, we already told you, we don't have the Patch!

Agamemnon22's Avatar Senior Member
    My book states 39,000 IL-2's produced, making it the second most numerous plane of all time. I haven't yet found THE most produced plane (it's a really big book )

Whether is 109 or Il2, one of the two is the aircraft manufactured in largest numbers of all time.

I would guess that in the all time records the DC-3 (C-47) is pretty high up there. It has to be the most produced civilian airplane atleast and it cant be too far off from the IL2/BF109 production figures.

Zyzbot's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tyrni:
    I would guess that in the all time records the DC-3 (C-47) is pretty high up there. It has to be the most produced civilian airplane atleast and it cant be too far off from the IL2/BF109 production figures.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

More than 11,000 DC3s were built between 1935 and 1946 in the USA, Japan and Russia.

http://www.travelcentre.com.au/trave...c3_history.htm

Cessna 172 is most produced civilian airplane at -about- 30000.

Also, don't forget the accepted figure of -about- 33000 for the 109 (and other German planes) includes a not unsubstantial number of recycled airframe parts. The Smithsonian's 109G6 and 190F8 each count as two aircraft.

"I fly only Full Real in Il2 Forgotten Battles." -Mark Donohue

WOLFMondo's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Agamemnon22:
    My book states 39,000 IL-2's produced, making it the second most numerous plane of all time. I haven't yet found THE most produced plane (it's a really big book )<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the IL2 was the the most produced plane of all time and the BF109 was the second?

How many Yaks and Lagg's/La's were produced?

Wolfgaming.net. Where the Gameplay is teamplay