Since my Logitech stick finally stopped working, the store I bought it at can offer me two FFB sticks as replacements under warranty. One choice is to get a new Logitech and obviously I'm not too thrilled with that one. The other (and only) FFB stick available is a Genius model F-33D flightstick.

I know that Logitechs are no good, but what about this Genius? Can anybody give me some feedback regarding Genius sticks in general? How do they work with IL-2? Are they precise, comfortable? Most important of all, how DURABLE are they? This Logitech of mine broke after 4 months.
    And specifically, has anybody ever used this F-33D ffb model? I'm not sure since I haven't tested it yet, but I have a sneaky feeling that it doesn't have twisty rudder thingy, which is a definite minus in my book. And also, the throttle lever is placed on top of the stick, right next to the hat switch. I wonder how that works.

I have time to decide until the day after tomorrow, so please, any info would be highly appreciated.

Since my Logitech stick finally stopped working, the store I bought it at can offer me two FFB sticks as replacements under warranty. One choice is to get a new Logitech and obviously I'm not too thrilled with that one. The other (and only) FFB stick available is a Genius model F-33D flightstick.

I know that Logitechs are no good, but what about this Genius? Can anybody give me some feedback regarding Genius sticks in general? How do they work with IL-2? Are they precise, comfortable? Most important of all, how DURABLE are they? This Logitech of mine broke after 4 months.
    And specifically, has anybody ever used this F-33D ffb model? I'm not sure since I haven't tested it yet, but I have a sneaky feeling that it doesn't have twisty rudder thingy, which is a definite minus in my book. And also, the throttle lever is placed on top of the stick, right next to the hat switch. I wonder how that works.

I have time to decide until the day after tomorrow, so please, any info would be highly appreciated.

ELEM's Avatar Senior Member
    http://www.geniusnet.com.tw/product/game/f-33d.htm

Looks like a copy of the MS product. I wouldn't touch it!

I wouldn't join any club that would have ME as member!

I know nothing other than it sure resembles the old Microsoft stick. I wonder if they bought the rights too it?

Have you checked your Private Topics recently?
    My TrackIR fix, Read the whole thread
    Commanding Officer of the 131st_VFW

It looks ok, but I really don`t like that throttle next to the Hat switch. It could be a nightmare to work, you`d have to either use your left hand to use the throttle (which would get in the way of your right hand already on the stick), or use your right hand thumb to control the Hat switch AND the throttle! Not easy.

Alternatively you could simply configure the hat to things like prop-pitch and Supercharger modes and configure the Throttle to work instead as your TRIM or even incremental flaps for the Hurricane. Then use the Mouse in the left hand as your view (or TIR), and the middle mouse as throttle - As I used to do.

So to sum up take it if you don`t use the joystick throttle as throttle!

SeaFireLIV...

Policing the skies.. :P

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
    It looks ok, but I really don`t like that throttle next to the Hat switch. It could be a nightmare to work, you`d have to either use your left hand to use the throttle (which would get in the way of your right hand already on the stick), or use your right hand thumb to control the Hat switch AND the throttle! Not easy.

Alternatively you could simply configure the hat to things like prop-pitch ans Supercharger modes and configure the Throttle to work instead as your TRIM. Then use the Mouse in the left hand as your view (or TIR), and the middle mouse as throttle - As I used to do.

So to sum up take it if you don`t use the joystick throttle as throttle!

SeaFireLIV...

http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/...eLIV/tirPC.jpg

Policing the skies.. :P<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's not a bad idea. But i'm worried about the durability. Stick looks good but until you use it for a while there's no way you can tell how good it really is. I hoped somebody used this particular model and can give me some feedback.

That thumb slider would be perfect for flaps or trim. I must also agree about the uncanny resemblence to the defunct MS offering.

bazzaah2's Avatar Senior Member
    my mouse is made by genius and is just fine, fwiw.

Crashing online as :FI:SpinyNorman

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bazzaah2:
    my mouse is made by genius and is just fine, fwiw.

http://www.endlager.net/fis/pix/bann..._banner_05.gif

Crashing online as :FI:SpinyNorman<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a long way from a mouse to a reliable joystick,

horseback's Avatar Senior Member
    I agree with Wannabe. I love my Logitech Marble Mouse--it's the best ambidextrous trackball for its price around, and the two I have have lasted three years without a glitch.

But all the Logitech sticks I've tried have been less than reliable, and I went through three or four of them before I popped for a M$ Precision 2, which has served me, and now my son, well for the last couple of years (I've graduated to CH Products, and now I can't live without rudder pedals).

If the Genius stick is as reliable as the M$ line of sticks, it'll be a good one, albeit with marginal ergonomics (I always had to reassign button 3 to the cannon, because the 2 button is poorly located for my thumb). The throttle next to the hat is an intriguing idea, but I'd let someone else prove the concept unless the price is under $40 US.

cheers

horseback

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944