Uninstalling UPlay Launcher Deleted my AC4 Save Games??

I had opened a ticket with UPlay support on this, but they appear to be as worthless as breasts on a bullfrog. It's been six days and they won't respond to my ticket, so I am reposting here.

I had played AC4 for an entire month. Intermittently I would get an error that UPLay had crashed, but since I was able to continue playing the game with no problem I simply ignored it.

That was until I tried to login one day and the error message popped up right at start up and I was not able to get back into the game. Having already updated all the drivers / bios / etc prior to installing AC4 I read on the forums that uninstalling the UPlay launcher and reinstalling will sometimes fix this. I ran the uninstaller, selected "Keep my save games" and finished the uninstall. I then reinstalled, confirmed AC4 was still a game tied to my account on UPLay, but could find no way to launch the game.

At this point I enlisted UBI Support, and the conversation went something like this"
    (Me) The Uplay launcher uninstall removed my AC4 save games, how can I get them back?
    (Support) Please ensure you have updated all your drivers and send us your MSInfo and DXDiag
    (Me) I, uh, just need to find my save games... I have been playing this for a full month without issue so I think the problem is actually in the uninstaller?
    (Support) Please ensure you have updated all your drivers and send us your MSInfo and DXDiag
    (Me) Really, I just need to find my save games, can you tell me why the uninstaller would remove the games? And how do I find those again so I can continue playing?
    (Me) I get the feeling that you're not really listening to my issue, can you please just help me with my original issue of finding my saved games?
    (Support) <crickets chirping>
    (Me) Hello? Hello? Can you help me? Is someone there?
    (Support) <crickets chirping>
    (Me) For the love of ......

So now I am here, hat in hand, asking for help from those (hopefully) with a greater desire to help those in need.

As a precaution I did copy off the 'savegames' folder under the 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher' directory as a precaution. Is this actually where my entire save game for AC4 would be stored? Should I attempt to redownload the game and hope that somehow triggers it to recognize the save games?

I would greatly appreciate the help, I gotten fairly far into the game and I sure was excited about the red crimson sails and my whaler suit

Thanks!

Ubi-Cain's Avatar Uplay PC Developer
    Hiya WookinPaNub,

Sorry to hear about your issues.
    You say that you backed-up your save game folder as precaution? If so, my hat off to you. Always good to make extra sure
    Since you have done that then yes, your Black Flag save should be included within that folder and downloading the game again should let you use your existing save without issue. (Providing you put it back in the correct locations etc etc.)

All that being said... you mentioned not being able to launch your game. If you need any help fixing that so you can actually use that save again feel free to fire over some more info and we can try to get you back on the open seas.

/Cain

Originally Posted by Ubi-Cain Go to original post
    Hiya WookinPaNub,

Sorry to hear about your issues.
    You say that you backed-up your save game folder as precaution? If so, my hat off to you. Always good to make extra sure
    Since you have done that then yes, your Black Flag save should be included within that folder and downloading the game again should let you use your existing save without issue. (Providing you put it back in the correct locations etc etc.)

All that being said... you mentioned not being able to launch your game. If you need any help fixing that so you can actually use that save again feel free to fire over some more info and we can try to get you back on the open seas.

/Cain
    You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. I will give that redownload a try and see if that works, it would be great to be able to finish the game. Thanks!

Originally Posted by WookinPaNub Go to original post
    You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. I will give that redownload a try and see if that works, it would be great to be able to finish the game. Thanks!
    So the issue was that the UPlay Launcher installer not only deleted the Uplay Launcher, but also wiped the full game install. Ironically it left the "savegames" untouched in the original folder, but with no way to actually play it as the game itself was removed. While I am glad I was able to get the game back up and running, that is a serious issue with the Launcher uninstaller. And it's even more of an issue for me as (being on a capped internet connection) I had to stay up past midnight for the second time to redownload / install / and patch the game again. Thankfully I only had one game from UBI installed or I would have gone postal....

I had to laugh, as I finally got another response from UBI Support with the recommendation "Please try disabling any overlay or DirectX hooking software...". Still not reading my true issue it would appear....

Thanks again!

Hello WookinPaNub,

Thank you for contacting us. For your information, uninstalling your games when you uninstall Uplay is the intended design, and it's the same one as it used by other digital platforms like Steam. However, if you move the game files to a different location, or if you create a backup of your game files, before you uninstall Uplay, then when you reinstall Uplay you can use your backed up game files to get into your game quickly.

Originally Posted by Ubi-Leorthian Go to original post
    Hello WookinPaNub,

Thank you for contacting us. For your information, uninstalling your games when you uninstall Uplay is the intended design, and it's the same one as it used by other digital platforms like Steam. However, if you move the game files to a different location, or if you create a backup of your game files, before you uninstall Uplay, then when you reinstall Uplay you can use your backed up game files to get into your game quickly.
    I realize this post is older, but this issue continues to bother me, a launcher should not erase your games, it should erase the launcher. Contrary to what you just claimed, you can erase Steam launcher multitudes of times and it never erases your games, just load the launcher back up and continue to play. Forcing to people redownload all their games due to erasing the launcher over launcher issues is ridiculous, especially for those who have capped data allowances and such. Fix this please.