Whats happening with this aircraft?? Is it still going to be flyable??

If it is about when??.... God i love that lil plane

Brain32's Avatar Senior Member
    They said it will be flyable in this patch, I saw that in development update from 30.04. but... They probably had some problems with it, but I am sure we will see(and fly ) it in the next patch.

It will certainly be intersting, the P-40 without the nose heavy inline. Like the design was originally intended for.

ElAurens's Avatar Senior Member
    And about 40mph slower than the P40.

Don't get me wrong here...the P36 (Hawk 75) is a great handeling aircraft. More maneuverable than a Spit Mk I. and it has a very good dive speed as well. You just have to remember that the P36 lacked the aerodynamics of the P40. And not just because of the radial engine. The P36 was not flush riveted, the P40 was.

Still I look forward to this pretty little aircraft, and wonder how it would have been with an R 2800 instead of the Allison V 1710.

BlitzPig_EL

Nose heavy as hell just like the Allison made it. Many engines where considered before the Allison was settled on. The airframe just wasn't built to have a Huge piece of cast iron up front. I've talked to two P-40 owners at airshows and both mentioned that every time they land they do huge landing rolls because it doesn't take much to flip it up on its nose. One even said that he didn't doubt that a big enough guy could grab the prop and tip the bird over when parked.

Just makes you wonder what could have become of the P-40 if the airframe had been redesigned for the inline. Unfortuantely by the time Curtiss did this the US Army had lost all intrest in Curtiss aircraft.