View Poll Results: How do you feel about this?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • LOVE IT!!!

2 6.06%
  • Couldn't Care Less...

4 12.12%
  • HATE IT!!!

27 81.82%

How do you feel about AC Syndicate's lack of modern day?

So one of two things must have happened, either MAC lied to us about the modern day being more prominent and the fact that 'it's back'. Or we just didn't understand him. Whatever it was we know that the modern day for syndicate won't be much more than what it was in Unity, we won't actually explore a modern day world and I know this from what MAC said

'We want the present day setting to be simple and not heavy for the player, it must be consistent and motivating enough to justify the whole experience in the past'

And what we heard from the podcast with Loomer:

"...the modern day can't be really explored through the games. The developers can show what happens during the events of the game or what happened in-between the games through files, but they cannot really explore the present day layer in-depth."

So it will be like Unity with some cutscenes of some person talking to us (the initiate) and giving us a simple reason to go back into Jacob and Evies memories. So do you guys love this fact that there is basically no modern day or do you hate it like me!

fcederberg's Avatar Member
    I hate it! For me the modern day have always been equally important as the historic part. So this is really a shame...

I think that it is terrible and we should have a present day story back again

Originally Posted by king-hailz Go to original post
    So one of two things must have happened, either MAC lied to us about the modern day being more prominent and the fact that 'it's back'. Or we just didn't understand him. Whatever it was we know that the modern day for syndicate won't be much more than what it was in Unity, we won't actually explore a modern day world and I know this from what MAC said

'We want the present day setting to be simple and not heavy for the player, it must be consistent and motivating enough to justify the whole experience in the past'

And what we heard from the podcast with Loomer:

"...the modern day can't be really explored through the games. The developers can show what happens during the events of the game or what happened in-between the games through files, but they cannot really explore the present day layer in-depth."

So it will be like Unity with some cutscenes of some person talking to us (the initiate) and giving us a simple reason to go back into Jacob and Evies memories. So do you guys love this fact that there is basically no modern day or do you hate it like me!
    I have been critical of Ubisoft, but as far as Modern Day goes, I am with them. For me the games are historical mainly, it's what makes the Franchise unique, it is its major contribution to games as a whole, it provides the most unique gameplay. The modern day is there just to give them freedom to move from one era to the next and to kind of provide some kind of plot or order to the games, some McGuffin, some quest which are basically excuses. That's it.

I personally like the approach to Modern Day in all the games so far, I like the Desmond in Brotherhood/Revelations/AC3 equally. I don't think either is better than the other. I like Black Flag's MD best of all, because its funny and it has wit. And to me, Unity is a failure because of its historical part, and not the present day. I liked the Time Anomalies (I mean yeah that skull thing was pointless and that's a flaw but it would have been forgivable if the rest of the game were good). For me Modern Day is a nice diverting relief, and a break. Like Desmond's Journey in Revelations I liked that a lot. As for the Scooby gang in Brotherhood and AC2, well I never bought the romance between Dez and Lucy and Shaun and Rebecca became more interesting in AC3 I'd argue. I actually bonded with them when Shaun says that when it's over they'll dive all the way to First Civ or go on a vacation. You know, I would be really upset if anything were to happen to them.

If people want modern day AC then it has to really be its separate thing, it has to be a full game and when it comes out fans will say it's basically Deux Ex/Watch_Dogs/Hitman/Mirror's Edge and whatnot

dxsxhxcx's Avatar Senior Member
    I wish they had the balls to drop it entirely and stopped creating excuses to not put some effort on it (we got it Ubisoft, you don't want to create a decent story because it'll be harder to milk the franchise this way, at least this is what I want to believe, the alternative is just plain incompetence), just "sell us" the game as an Abstergo Entertainment product (that, in and of itself, can be used as the reason to go to the past), no need for half-assed modern days (I'll pretend a trainee erased Juno from the internet by mistake, The Instruments of the First Will were just hippies high on mushroom tea and the modern Assassins/Templars decided to look for professional help to solve their daddy issues, it can't get any better than this with the current MD style anyway), put this extra effort into the historical period and the game itself to avoid another Unity fiasco.

Originally Posted by VestigialLlama4 Go to original post
    If people want modern day AC then it has to really be its separate thing, it has to be a full game and when it comes out fans will say it's basically Deux Ex/Watch_Dogs/Hitman/Mirror's Edge and whatnot
    I disagree with this, IMO there is enough space to create a compelling modern day narrative in the AC games, the problem is that they are dragging out the story on purpose because of the yearly releases (and to put out more games), and to do that they need to keep adding new things such as Sages, precursor boxes and whatnot...

What they need to do is create a story with a beginning, a middle and an end that will expand throughout a "x" number of games (preferably three or four) and stop dragging out the story and adding pointless sub-plots!

Xangr8's Avatar Member
    I still have faith in Ubi.

Sorrosyss's Avatar Senior Member
    I understandably hate this news if true. It has always been the glue that holds the game together. If you are going to ignore the modern day and First Civilization plotlines, and how they all link together then you may as well rename the series in my opinion.

This is realy confusing, as I'm paraphrasing but one interview it stated that we wouldn't "just be collecting data for someone". That in itself implied more than AC4, and why so many of us have been waiting for this supposed late summer reveal for the modern day. Have we now been misled?

What disturbs me more is that Modern Day seems to be appearing in other media, such as comics and indeed the movie, but they seem intent on gutting it from the game series - and indeed what made the story great in my view. If they are attempting to push the modern day to the tertiary expanded universe, I'm not sure how I feel about that. Disappointed for one. But when at every E3 interview they were asked about the Modern Day return, you have to wonder why they have not got the message that it is missed.

bitebug2003's Avatar Global Moderator
    Not bothered really since the Desmond Era.

AC4 and AC Rogue's MD was pretty mundane.

I did like Unity's Bishop -- but if it wasn't there I wouldn't really miss it.

SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by king-hailz Go to original post
    Funny, they managed it just fine with all the Desmond games.

EmptyCrustacean's Avatar Banned
    Originally Posted by bitebug2003 Go to original post
    Not bothered really since the Desmond Era.

AC4 and AC Rogue's MD was pretty mundane.

I did like Unity's Bishop -- but if it wasn't there I wouldn't really miss it.
    I hope Bishop becomes one of the MD characters alongside Shaun and Rebecca. Getting rid of MD highlights an inability from Ubi to establish what is truly wrong.
    As Farlander once said, it wasn't that it broke immersion it was just that it wasn't handled with the love and care that the historical time period was.
    They got rid of MD in Unity. Did that make the game any better received? Exactly. I read no praise for cutting MG but I read plenty of complaints about it from the hardcore fans.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►