View Poll Results: What if Ubi got rid of the Templar only focus?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, sounds interesting

6 40.00%
  • Not sure

4 26.67%
  • No

5 33.33%
    SteelCity999's Avatar Senior Member

What if...Ubi got rid of Templar only focus?

Meaning...How would you feel if the games shifted focus from the Assassin's exclusively fighting Templars? How many other secret societies or organizations are their throughout history that could create good conflict? With all the talk of modern day, if they are truly going to abandon it and focus on it less, why can't Ubi shift focus onto other enemies? Templar conspiracies could regurgitate themselves every other year or two but other organizations would definitely add some flavor to a franchise that is getting stale with same old same old storytelling. It might put assassin's inI a different light, make choices tougher and offer contrast to the Templars.

Dont know about that. In history the Templars were the main military power of the Church. No one exactly knows what happened with the Templars since their history is shrouded in mystery considering their practices were secret. At that point in time the Templars were the biggest faction Europe had. And even though they were almost destroyed in the 1300s, the order still lives on in the Freemasons and other factions like them so the societies like them still exist but not in the form they used to.

Considering most of those organizations are just branches off of what the Templars used to be, it still makes sense to have them as the main group in the game. The only problem we have now is the fact that even though Desmond died, the story of the Templars and Assassins fight is almost non-existant considering there is barely any MD anymore.

EDIT: and considering how they never fully ended the Templar v Assassin feud, we MUST have a conclusion to that story before they think about changing groups and whatnot. Besides, Assassins Creed has always been Templar v Assassin. If you get rid of the Templar focus, you dont really have an AC game since that is all of what it has ever been. Unless they twist the story to say that the Templars and Church were being used by a more powerful group and the focus changes to fighting that group, we dont know. The current story must be finished before any of that happens, but since there is barely and MD in Unity and possibly Syndicate, i dont see that happening any time soon.

This is something I actually would like to see. I mean it never sat well with me that all of history was about these two organizations that never really changed ideas and beliefs over milennia. You would have thought there might be Assassin splinter factions who form the Freemasons or the Illuminati, or others who decided to try nonviolence or communism.

I would have liked multiple organizations with various philosophies and goals. It would be a little super-heroish but it would be interesting and it would prevent it like "The Illuminati are Templars and therefore evil..."

Besides within the games, there have been occassions where the Assassins haven't really fought Templars (generally in DLC),
    1) You have Revelations' Altair Missions (where the main bad guy is an Evil Assassin)
    2) You have Bonfire of the Vanities DLC (where Ezio fights Girolamo Savonarola).
    3) You have Da Vinci Disappearance (the bad guys are Hermeticists, another secret society who want to unlock First Civilization ideas to the world).
    4) There's Tyranny of King Washington DLC, which is an Alternate Dream but the main theme is an Assassin stopping the Apple from corrupting a great man and also saving America by extension.
    5) Freedom Cry, where you have Assassins actually tackling a real historical problem of slavery.
    6) Even Black Flag, where the main bad guy is Black Bart and the Sages were initially sold as not really Assassins or Templars (before Unity ruined even that good idea).
    7) Dead Kings, well it doesn't have the same thing, but it introduces stuff like "Lady Eve" (whatever the f--k that is) and its about Napoleon coming to power, well its really fuzzy.

I think the best one is Bonfire of the Vanities, because in that brief time you had this larger social theme of religious and political fanaticism, dangers of blind faith, about the fact that some of the people who support movements like these are coerced or not entirely themselves but others are perfectly willing, and have realistic reasons, to go ahead and participate in this tyranny. It's actually weird but Bonfire DLC has longer afterlife conversations than the main game does on average. Likewise the whole sequence defines who the Assassins are and what they truly believe rather than "those guys who stop the Templars".

Likewise Freedom Cry tried to expand on that. Wish they did this more often though.

I don't think we really need any more secret organizations (heck, we have Erudito and Instruments of the First Will as well, but who the hell knows what's going on with them now), but I wouldn't mind there being less Templars. Or, sometimes, for that matter, Assassins.

Here's the thing that bothered me in AC2 glyphs somewhat - that it made it seem like every major historical figure or event was either done/controlled by Assassins or Templars, or people affiliated with them. I know these were ancient large Orders, but still. But it was still fine, but after that this just escalated to ridiculous degrees where everything is somehow connected to the Assassin/Templar conspiracy. I mean, it's so ridiculous, that the novelization of AC4 removes the whole point of the main character's arc, that he didn't have anything absolutely to do with Assassins or Templars before events of the game, and he ****ing did (so for me the novel doesn't exist ). You don't have to be an Assassin or a Templar or their affiliate to be awesome or to be responsible for huge events or changes. In fact, the more things are related to these two Orders, the smaller the world begins to feel.

And while we're at it, the useage of non-Templars was pretty effective in previous games with characters who were not part of the organizations. To me the most interesting villain of AC2 is Savonarola, and that Bonfire sequence alone manages to neatly cover questions of free will, choice and control (well, in the time that it has, at least), something that is very thematic to AC (and something that the rest of the game doesn't really cover with other Templars), and that guy has nothing to do with the Assassin/Templar conflict.

And the main antagonist of Black Flag is Bartholomew Roberts, also not a Templar (Torres is not the main antagonist of the game, despite being the Grand Master of the Templar Order) or Assassin (though he does get wrapped up in the middle of this conflict like Edward does as well), and he's a quite interesting character and it's a nice change of pace.

So I absolutely wouldn't mind if Templars weren't used as often, or if they would be put a bit to the sidelines sometimes.

SteelCity999's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by VestigialLlama4 Go to original post
    Likewise the whole sequence defines who the Assassins are and what they truly believe rather than "those guys who stop the Templars".
    I think that is kind of what the series has become. With no modern day, its now as basic as Us vs Them. With other organizations in the mix, a world of possibilities exist - including Templar assassin cooperation....What dynamic might lead to this? AC3 tried a bit. It would open up more story opportunities and more of who the assassins are....after all it is Assassin's Creed not Assassins vs Templars.

Hans684's Avatar Senior Member
    More Templar games then, shift the focus to the Assassins for a while. They are the stars of the series after all.

dxsxhxcx's Avatar Senior Member
    No, I don't mind Assassins or Templars interacting with other secret organizations as a mean to an end, but I don't want to see the Templars or Assassins being replaced by any of them for an entire game, IMO both Assassins and Templars are on the top of the "food chain", so it wouldn't make much sense to focus solely on a "minor" enemy when there are bigger fishes to catch (that certainly wouldn't wait until you deal with other problems to do something)...

I would like to see a game where we control both an Assassin and a Templar (not a double agent, two different protagonists) fighting each other (with no possibility of an alliance between them happens)...

IMO opinion this is the way it should always have been.

AC1 (and maybe ACR) should have been the only strictly Templar focused game with the other games in the franchise focusing on other organizations with the theme of Freedom vs Control running through it. Abstergo instead of being modern Templars could just be the overarching antagonists. It would make the world feel so much bigger and give the Assassins a much more grounded feel.

• Instead of Hitler being a Templar puppet he could have just been some ***hole that the Assassin order opposed.
    • AC2 could have just been about Ezio taking revenge on a group of people who killed his family, they didn't need to be part of an ancient order.
    • Same with ACB the Borgia were causing oppression, perfect justification for the Assassins to fight them.
    • AC3 Haytham could just have led a group of like minded individuals or maybe Freemasons?
    • AC4 Torres is just some guy searching for the Observatory
    • Shay could have just been a rogue Assassin

strigoi1958's Avatar Senior Member
    It would open up new story line opportunities... I've often wondered whether an assassin or templar (or more than 1 from either faction) may have given in to greed or love or hate... and worked solely for their own objectives. I know other assassins have had their own agendas but I mean someone who uses the knowledge, skills and equipment for their own purpose without aiding any assassin or templar goals.

I would like to see a game where we control both an Assassin and a Templar (not a double agent, two different protagonists) fighting each other (with no possibility of an alliance between them happens)...
    @ dxsxhxcx Yes I too have thought that a templar in the same memory as assassin would make a good multiplayer game and in the MD we could sabotage or defend each animus.

I would like it. Targets outside of the order would be interesting. They wouldn't automatically know who the assassin was and would question him in his brief time left.