Really excited for this, not just because I like the band's music but also because this will show whether the events of 2014 have affected the licensing of pre-2015 material. I'll predict 2 packs, one in each of the scenarios:

Includes pre-2015 songs

The Diary of Jane
    So Cold
    Failure

2015 songs only

Failure
    Angels Fall
    Defeated

Dizzyg12's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by stray75 Go to original post
    Yep, I'd guess that does it on getting the numbers to add up, but how do you arrive at "presidents" from the deer? Awesome thought process to get this and work backward!
    "The buck stops here" was a sign on president Harry trumans desk.

So... tagging and fencing a group of stockers is a way of breaking (separating) bucks from the herd. The series of numbers is representative of a grouping of smaller denominations you could use to break the $100 bill (a Benjamin). Not taking any credit for that... the guys posting in the last page or two have all the pieces of it and natchobvious made the presidents' number connection.

This was a pretty ingenious puzzle! I like that it wasn't instantly solvable... I do like that it was solvable by a lucky shot and that folks had the tenacity to chase down the fully-realized form of answering it. Bear in mind that even the Masquerade puzzle had some scandal around the (un)solving of it. I was heading down the 'those numbers mean something beyond simple math' path myself, but was working on elements in the periodic table trying to build a molecule. Which brought me nowhere... :-P

The_Working_Man's Avatar Senior Member
    Yay, Breaking Benjamin! It's been quite some time since I was interested in the weekly DLC offering.

Originally Posted by MaizeAndBlue Go to original post

My Predictions:

1. The Diary of Jane
    2. I Will Not Bow
    3. So Cold

This is almost certainly correct, but I wouldn't mind some of their new stuff either like Angels Fall or Failure.

Although, if we could get KC Royals' closing pitcher Greg Holland's walk-up song Fade Away, then I'd have just about enough time to learn it before baseball playoffs start.

DanAmrich's Avatar Rocksmith Dev Team
    Originally Posted by natchobvious Go to original post
    The numbers are for U.S. presidents, and represent what amount of money they appear on.

7 - Andrew Jackson, 7th president - $20
    3 - Thomas Jefferson, 3rd President - $2
    18 - Ulysses S. Grant, 18th President - $50
    34 - Dwight D. Eisenhower, 34th President - $1
    16 - Abraham Lincoln, 16th President - $5
    7 - Andrew Jackson, 7th President - $20

That adds up to 100, and that's how you break a Benjamin...Franklin, who is on the $100 bill.
    Absolutely correct.

Thoman, your breakdown was perfect -- you had all the important elements and identified that the key was to consider what those numbers represent beyond their face value.

Bucks is a very common slang term for American money. We had considered a picture of dough or picture of cheddar or picture of bread for the same reason, and we were all considering a second clue using that imagery to reinforce that connection. Again, it was just a matter of not taking what you're seeing at face value but wondering what it represented.

Great job! Knew you folks could solve this.

DanAmrich's Avatar Rocksmith Dev Team
    The numbers are for U.S. presidents, and represent what amount of money they appear on.

That adds up to 100, and that's how you break a Benjamin...Franklin, who is on the $100 bill.
    Absolutely correct.

Thoman, your breakdown was perfect -- you had all the important elements and identified that the key was to consider what those numbers represent beyond their face value.

Bucks is a very common slang term for American money. We had considered a picture of dough or picture of cheddar or picture of bread for the same reason, and we were all considering a second clue using that imagery to reinforce that connection. Again, it was just a matter of not taking what you're seeing at face value but wondering what it represented.

Great job! Knew you folks could solve this.

Dizzyg12's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Grumble Volcano Go to original post
    Really excited for this, not just because I like the band's music but also because this will show whether the events of 2014 have affected the licensing of pre-2015 material. I'll predict 2 packs, one in each of the scenarios:

Includes pre-2015 songs

The Diary of Jane
    So Cold
    Failure

2015 songs only

Failure
    Angels Fall
    Defeated
    This needed to be a five pack

thoman23's Avatar Senior Member

HALLELUJAH! Great work!!!

Dan, nice puzzle. it's interesting you went with 34/Eisenhower vs. 1/Washington for the $1. Was that because you wanted a number greater than 26 to rule out alphabetic ciphers?

Originally Posted by Dizzyg12 Go to original post
    This needed to be a five pack
    I agree but only if the former case is correct (pre-2015 songs included). Dark Before Dawn is a great album but I wouldn't say it's up there with albums like Moving Pictures to need more than 3 songs in a first Rocksmith pack.

Jayrocksd's Avatar Senior Member

Nice job! Way to think outside the box.

AlloysiusGrunt's Avatar Senior Member
    Very elegant solution to a very elegant puzzle. Kudos to Dan, S. Ninja, and Mr. McCune.