SOLUTION: AC games won't launch when installed on Windows Storage Spaces

Hey all. I did a lot of research on this problem and couldn't find any answers, so I did some experiments and wanted to share the results with the community.

A cursory examination of Internet forums indicates that quite a large number of people have had problems with games from the Assassin’s Creed series not launching when they are installed to pools managed by Windows Storage Spaces, a feature that was introduced in Windows 8. The proposed solutions have always involved reinstalling the affected game on a non-Storage Spaces drive. These are untenable for a couple reasons, most notably that many people often have their OS installed on a small, fast SSD, which lacks the space for entire game installations (Assassin’s Creed Unity, for example, is over 50 GB), and have their large data drives transparently managed by Storage Spaces. After some trial and error, I’ve determined that the cause of the problem is the games’ sound files; apparently, they really don’t like living on Storage Spaces. Fortunately, there’s a relatively simple workaround: we can store the sound files on drives not managed by Windows Storage Spaces, then use junctions and/or symbolic links to point to those files. If everything is done correctly, the games will launch and there won’t be any issues, since as far as the game logic is concerned, all the file paths are correct.

I’ll be using Assassin’s Creed Director’s Cut and Assassin’s Creed Unity as examples of the procedure. All Assassin’s Creed games except for the original use the same procedure as Unity.

In Assassin’s Creed Director’s Cut, there are a total of six (6) files, totalling 1.03 GB, that need to be moved. They are .FORGE files located in the Assassin’s Creed\ directory, all of which contain DataPC_StreamedSounds in their filenames. The .FORGE extension is also shared with map files and other game logic, so care must be taken to ensure that only the sound files are relocated.

In Assassin’s Creed Unity, there are a total of 54 files, totalling 6.78 GB, that need to be moved. They are .PCK files, all of which are located the Assassin’s Creed Unity\sounddata\ directory (the entire directory can be moved). In addition, the Dead Kings DLC requires moving ten (10) files, totalling 374 MB. They are .PCK files located in the directories Assassin’s Creed Unity\dlc_10\ and Assassin’s Creed Unity\dlc_11\. Unlike Assassin’s Creed Director’s Cut, no other file types appear to share the sound files’ extension, .PCK.

While all the necessary tasks can be performed with cmd or PowerShell, I highly recommend the use of the Link Shell Extension, a program which integrates symbolic link creation into File Explorer, which can greatly reduce the time and complexity involved for users who aren’t overly familiar with the command line. The download website covers all of the operations needed to perform this fix. TL;DR: use junctions to link to entire folders, and use symbolic links to link to individual files.

For additional space savings, you can remove all language files (eg: eng, bra, ger, fre, ita, spa) except for your preferred language. This will save around 3 GB on Unity, for example.

So the basic procedure is:
    1. Copy the sound files over to a drive that isn’t managed by Storage Spaces
    2. Drop links to the sound files in the game installation folder

There you have it. I can’t think of a logical reason as to why the games should fail to launch while their sound files are contained on Windows Storage Space drives, so this is definitely something Ubisoft needs to look into, but the solution is pretty straightforward. Thankfully, all of the sound files are clearly labeled as such, so there’s no guesswork involved.

Hope this helps, as I've noticed several mentions of this problem with no solutions.
     16 people found this helpful

Holy ****!!!

Thank you thank you thank you ! -> http://dagobah.net/flash/thank_you.swf Link to many thank yous!

This worked, when i have already abandoned all hope of playing this game ever ever !! Godddammit!
    Was kinda tricky to first undestand how exactly you do it, but its quite simple !
    Thank you Sir/madam!

I must be going now, to finally play the game ! Cheers!

Originally Posted by GrimShins Go to original post
    Hey all. I did a lot of research on this problem and couldn't find any answers, so I did some experiments and wanted to share the results with the community.

A cursory examination of Internet forums indicates that quite a large number of people have had problems with games from the Assassinís Creed series not launching when they are installed to pools managed by Windows Storage Spaces, a feature that was introduced in Windows 8. The proposed solutions have always involved reinstalling the affected game on a non-Storage Spaces drive. These are untenable for a couple reasons, most notably that many people often have their OS installed on a small, fast SSD, which lacks the space for entire game installations (Assassinís Creed Unity, for example, is over 50 GB), and have their large data drives transparently managed by Storage Spaces. After some trial and error, Iíve determined that the cause of the problem is the gamesí sound files; apparently, they really donít like living on Storage Spaces. Fortunately, thereís a relatively simple workaround: we can store the sound files on drives not managed by Windows Storage Spaces, then use junctions and/or symbolic links to point to those files. If everything is done correctly, the games will launch and there wonít be any issues, since as far as the game logic is concerned, all the file paths are correct.

Iíll be using Assassinís Creed Directorís Cut and Assassinís Creed Unity as examples of the procedure. All Assassinís Creed games except for the original use the same procedure as Unity.

In Assassinís Creed Directorís Cut, there are a total of six (6) files, totalling 1.03 GB, that need to be moved. They are .FORGE files located in the Assassinís Creed\ directory, all of which contain DataPC_StreamedSounds in their filenames. The .FORGE extension is also shared with map files and other game logic, so care must be taken to ensure that only the sound files are relocated.

In Assassinís Creed Unity, there are a total of 54 files, totalling 6.78 GB, that need to be moved. They are .PCK files, all of which are located the Assassinís Creed Unity\sounddata\ directory (the entire directory can be moved). In addition, the Dead Kings DLC requires moving ten (10) files, totalling 374 MB. They are .PCK files located in the directories Assassinís Creed Unity\dlc_10\ and Assassinís Creed Unity\dlc_11\. Unlike Assassinís Creed Directorís Cut, no other file types appear to share the sound filesí extension, .PCK.

While all the necessary tasks can be performed with cmd or PowerShell, I highly recommend the use of the Link Shell Extension, a program which integrates symbolic link creation into File Explorer, which can greatly reduce the time and complexity involved for users who arenít overly familiar with the command line. The download website covers all of the operations needed to perform this fix. TL;DR: use junctions to link to entire folders, and use symbolic links to link to individual files.

For additional space savings, you can remove all language files (eg: eng, bra, ger, fre, ita, spa) except for your preferred language. This will save around 3 GB on Unity, for example.

1. Copy the sound files over to a drive that isnít managed by Storage Spaces

There you have it. I canít think of a logical reason as to why the games should fail to launch while their sound files are contained on Windows Storage Space drives, so this is definitely something Ubisoft needs to look into, but the solution is pretty straightforward. Thankfully, all of the sound files are clearly labeled as such, so thereís no guesswork involved.

Hope this helps, as I've noticed several mentions of this problem with no solutions.

Cant get this to work?

Hi, ive tried the method you have suggested and still it doesnt seem to work?

i have cut the soundfile folder from assassins creed syndicate game folder and paste it into a partitioned part of my hard drive (G)

next i picked it as my link source, using link shell extension and went back to the game installation folder to drop a junction but it is still not working...

do you have any idea why?

i am on windows 8.1 and i am dying to get this game running but it is really frustrating me now!

Thanks, kyle

UbiFancy's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff NCSA
    Originally Posted by xk-tastrophex Go to original post
    Hi, ive tried the method you have suggested and still it doesnt seem to work?

i have cut the soundfile folder from assassins creed syndicate game folder and paste it into a partitioned part of my hard drive (G)

next i picked it as my link source, using link shell extension and went back to the game installation folder to drop a junction but it is still not working...

do you have any idea why?

i am on windows 8.1 and i am dying to get this game running but it is really frustrating me now!

Thanks, kyle
    Hi Kyle, welcome to the forums! If you haven't yet, I recommend creating a ticket with Ubisoft support.

support.ubi.com

What

Alright so long story short i'm an absolute idiot. Can someone please explain to me what windows storage spaces are, Where they are, and what areas are not managed by them because if i don't figure this out soon i might snap my cats neck

Originally Posted by Thosetimis Go to original post
    Alright so long story short i'm an absolute idiot. Can someone please explain to me what windows storage spaces are, Where they are, and what areas are not managed by them because if i don't figure this out soon i might snap my cats neck
    Read this:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...(v=ws.11).aspx

TombRaider13's Avatar Junior Member
    Hi, I'm a little hesitant to try this, the reason being I'm very cautious at these sort of things.
    So, making a long story a short one, I have the same problem.
    (starting the game, using my own account control, seeing the steampunk AC:S logo and hearing the ding, followed by nothing)

The first time I started AC:S something would come up about the NVidia graphic card with the AC:S steampunk logo but I could still play the game. So it seems that I"m having another problem involving the graphic card on my PC resulting in a failed start-up of AC:S.

Can you guys help me with this?
     1 people found this helpful

follow up Q

so I have a similar problem with Assassin's creed syndicate after their new patch 1.5 came up about a month ago. i bought the game aroung march and about a week into playing the game it crashed on me and i wasnt able to play it since then. I've looked online and saw that other people have had the same problem and is blaming it on the new patch saying that the game wont open on the PC and nobody seems to have the right answers. I did what you said about moving the sound files, I dont know if i did it wrong or maybe i just didnt move it to a right storage but It still wont open.

Help please

A cursory examination of Internet forums indicates that quite a large number of people have had problems with games from the Assassinís Creed series not launching when they are installed to pools managed by Windows Storage Spaces, a feature that was introduced in Windows 8. The proposed solutions have always involved reinstalling the affected game on a non-Storage Spaces drive. These are untenable for a couple reasons, most notably that many people often have their OS installed on a small, fast SSD, which lacks the space for entire game installations (Assassinís Creed Unity, for example, is over 50 GB), and have their large data drives transparently managed by Storage Spaces. After some trial and error, Iíve determined that the cause of the problem is the gamesí sound files; apparently, they really donít like living on Storage Spaces. Fortunately, thereís a relatively simple workaround: we can store the sound files on drives not managed by Windows Storage Spaces, then use junctions and/or symbolic links to point to those files. If everything is done correctly, the games will launch and there wonít be any issues, since as far as the game logic is concerned, all the file paths are correct.

Iíll be using Assassinís Creed Directorís Cut and Assassinís Creed Unity as examples of the procedure. All Assassinís Creed games except for the original use the same procedure as Unity.

In Assassinís Creed Directorís Cut, there are a total of six (6) files, totalling 1.03 GB, that need to be moved. They are .FORGE files located in the Assassinís Creed\ directory, all of which contain DataPC_StreamedSounds in their filenames. The .FORGE extension is also shared with map files and other game logic, so care must be taken to ensure that only the sound files are relocated.

In Assassinís Creed Unity, there are a total of 54 files, totalling 6.78 GB, that need to be moved. They are .PCK files, all of which are located the Assassinís Creed Unity\sounddata\ directory (the entire directory can be moved). In addition, the Dead Kings DLC requires moving ten (10) files, totalling 374 MB. They are .PCK files located in the directories Assassinís Creed Unity\dlc_10\ and Assassinís Creed Unity\dlc_11\. Unlike Assassinís Creed Directorís Cut, no other file types appear to share the sound filesí extension, .PCK.

While all the necessary tasks can be performed with cmd or PowerShell, I highly recommend the use of the Link Shell Extension, a program which integrates symbolic link creation into File Explorer, which can greatly reduce the time and complexity involved for users who arenít overly familiar with the command line. The download website covers all of the operations needed to perform this fix. TL;DR: use junctions to link to entire folders, and use symbolic links to link to individual files.

There you have it. I canít think of a logical reason as to why the games should fail to launch while their sound files are contained on Windows Storage Space drives, so this is definitely something Ubisoft needs to look into, but the solution is pretty straightforward. Thankfully, all of the sound files are clearly labeled as such, so thereís no guesswork involved.

And how exactly do you get a link to the sound files? Please answer, I've wasted the entire day trying to figure out how to launch this game...

There are no folders inside the AC:S folder

So i searched at my search bar "Assassin's Creed Syndicate" and the folder came up. But the only thing that's inside that folder, is something called AC.ini
    Can anyone help me with this?
    Thank you

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last ►►