🛈 Announcement
Greetings! Assassin's Creed Valhalla forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new beta platform to discuss the game
     1 people found this helpful

Olympus2018's Avatar Senior Member
    Ι am curious to see the maximum distance that you can cover from north to south. Will it be 21 km like it was in Odyssey?

Map Size Comparison

Here we go. Props to Dimitris Galatas VFX for the calculation.

Origins alone already felt abundant in size with even a lot of parts of the map felt underutilized. In Odyssey, I didn't even bother going to some of the other islands on my 2nd playthrough because I knew I wouldn't find anything interesting there

I wonder how big Norway would be, do we have any info on that? Do we know if we can go back and forth between England and Norway?

I think what is missing in comparing map sizes is the actual area you can play. Black Flag seemed big and had a large playable ocean but the playable land space was pretty tiny compared to Origins and Odyssey .... I was so happy when they removed the invisible glass walls .... Starting with Unity which had a comparably small map you still had access to pretty much everything within the main map boundaries unlike the previous games with glass walls around cities

Originally Posted by TeaBagHitter Go to original post
    I wonder how big Norway would be, do we have any info on that? Do we know if we can go back and forth between England and Norway?
    Yes they said we can travel back to Norway but I have a feeling all it amounts to is a town and a little bit of area surrounding it and not much more ..... However they are promising new lands to explore with the DLCs so that's an area they could expand but my gut tells me it will likely be Iceland for the 1st DLC and a mythical world for the 2nd DLC

Aloninor's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by longjohn119 Go to original post
    Yes they said we can travel back to Norway but I have a feeling all it amounts to is a town and a little bit of area surrounding it and not much more ..... However they are promising new lands to explore with the DLCs so that's an area they could expand but my gut tells me it will likely be Iceland for the 1st DLC and a mythical world for the 2nd DLC
    That's a bummer if true, I was really hoping for some larger area in Norway also, at least the size of e.g. Sinai in Assassin's Creed Origins. In terms of DLC's I think you're right with the bet for Iceland and the mythical focus (based on the last two AC's)

The main map shows England only but the Season Pass may contain maps of Scotland or Wales or even Norway/Denmark. Also, we do not know the in-game distance you have to cover from Southern to Northern England... in order to compare Valhalla to Odyssey.

Originally Posted by Olympus2018 Go to original post
    Also, we do not know the in-game distance you have to cover from Southern to Northern England... in order to compare Valhalla to Odyssey.

This video uses a relatively small distance found in the gameplay demo, and extrapolates it to calculate the area of the map, and it turned out to be 120 km^2 when you include a bit of sea around the mainland, and this excludes norway. I believe the Odyssey land area is around 120 km^2. If you exclude the bit of sea, I think you get nearly 95 km^2.

So Odyssey and Valhalla are similar in size kinda

Originally Posted by TeaBagHitter Go to original post

This video uses a relatively small distance found in the gameplay demo, and extrapolates it to calculate the area of the map, and it turned out to be 120 km^2 when you include a bit of sea around the mainland, and this excludes norway. I believe the Odyssey land area is around 120 km^2. If you exclude the bit of sea, I think you get nearly 95 km^2.

So Odyssey and Valhalla are similar in size kinda
    I am ok with that since England and Greece have the same land mass in real life. Actually, England is slightly smaller than Greece, taking into account all the islands for both nations. 131 thousand square km are more than.... 130 thousand!