Can somebody, please, share experience on following issue and help to determine the core fault.

Setup: Windows 10 + Rocksmith Remastered + Rocksmith cable (bought new two months ago). Rocksmith cable is properly identified in sound settings and DVD quality settings are in place.

Rocksmith cable was working fine until sound suddenly disappeared one day.

After testing it was discovered:
    1) Guitar sound cuts off with a click as soon as mic level in Windows reach volume level 50 (testable via "Listen to this device" option in Sound settings).
    2) If you touch the cable tip - buzz is present no matter what the mic volume is.
    3) It is possible to increase mic volume above 50 and still hear the guitar, but only if guitar volume knob is turned down. In this case sound at max level is kind of distorted.

This leads to following issue - you can hear guitar sound in Rocksmith only if mic is set below 50. As this level is too quiet - Rocksmith increases mic volume automatically and sound cuts off. Bypassing exclusivity settings in Rocksmith gives no guitar sound at all.

Tested with different guitars, different USB ports (also powered) and different computers - results are the same, also reinstalling the cable. Question - is it cable or something with the settings or something else?

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    Does your guitar use a battery? Is it still good?

No batteries, passive pickups - on both guitars tested.

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    Have another cable to test with?

pedietz's Avatar Senior Member
    Have you run the calibration tool inside the tuner? It will add "Gain" if you are not loud.

Yes, I have tried the calibration and this is the exact issue. I believe Rocksmith increases "gain" by increasing mic volume. So the scenario is the same - you can start calibration and within it sound cuts off as mic level is increased above 50 (for me it is jump to 84 in windows mic level settings although Rocksmith was started with 49).

I have no other cable to test, therefore wanted to rule out any other possible issues before claiming bad cable.

well i can tell you rs was working fine for me till yesterda, now today pc recognizes real tone cable, settings are all good as per porst and troubleshooting steps, but rocksmith refuses to see my real tone cable. i have now tried 2 more brand new real tone cables and NONE of them are being recognized by rocksmith all however are recognized by windows. i have tried using the following guitars, epiphone les paul standard plus top pro, bc rich warlock, a scratch built les paul with slash pups, a 2000 gibson les paul standard, an ibanez SR400QM bass, and a traben phoenix bass and NONE of them come up in rocksmith even though the pc clearly shows the cable is recognized with 3 real tone cables. i would like to know WTF is going on since it clearly isnt a pc related issue and i doubt it is a cable issue seeing as windows sees the real tone cable.

i will say this though, i get this problem every 6 months and at first i was buying cables only to find cable wasnt the issue at all and now i have tried my last 3 real tone cables ( after selling some off as uneccesary) and if ubi/rocksmith determine i have a bad cable then by god they need to send me a free real tone cable this time because this is complete BS.

i am always seeing it is windows fault, change this setting or change that setting only to find my settings are now and always have been correct in windows. the only place i can think teh fault might be occurring is in the ubi rocksmith software itself.