Will this game require uplay?

If I can load this game from steam and play it without going through additional logins or launcher programs I will buy it. If I have to load steam and then load and login to another advertising program to play my game I will not buy it.

What will it be?

of course it will go through uplay. why shouldnt it?

stupid decision not to buy what looks like a great game just over uplay, it works well enough, never had a problem with it with 2070 all going through steam.

EDIT: btw if you are so concerned about having to launch steam and then another launcher to play, just dont launch steam. launch uplay directly and just play, im sure this resolves your issue about only having to load one program to play.

Of course it shouldn't go through UPlay if it's available on Steam. Steam is one of the most effective DRM schemes in gaming history. Third-party or direct purchase should have it, of course, but UbiSoft has a very, VERY poor track record of keeping its UPlay versions synced up with Steam. So what starts off an unnecessary burden; another instance of being treated like a thief in a marketplace that already has guards, turns into another instance of the game just not working. Which kind of breaks one of the founding tenants of even making a game: Letting customers play it.

Plus, y'know, DRM around the Anno series left a foul taste in a lot of customer's mouths. UbiSoft really borked up when they crippled AssCreed, but it's arguably more egregious that they hamstrung Anno 2070. Why? Because city building and economic development games are niche to begin with, so the demographics are smaller, and some companies (EA and Spore jump immediately to mind) see that as a "safe" testing bed for new DRM schemes. Because the genre comes with a dedicated, yet safely small guinea pig population. It's entirely understandable that people might HOPE that they get tossed a bone and a DRM free niche game gets released, as the experimental years are over and the results are most definitely in: DRM doesn't actually do anything to boost sales and the more "effective" it is the more it'll actually suppresses them.

I just hope that the dev studio nuts up and insists that they not get shafted on Steam, because the launch there WILL piss people off if UPlay is involved... and there will be so many returns just to spite UPlay.

o0fd's Avatar Junior Member
    Originally Posted by Pax_Ethenica Go to original post
    Of course it shouldn't go through UPlay if it's available on Steam. Steam is one of the most effective DRM schemes in gaming history. Third-party or direct purchase should have it, of course, but UbiSoft has a very, VERY poor track record of keeping its UPlay versions synced up with Steam. So what starts off an unnecessary burden; another instance of being treated like a thief in a marketplace that already has guards, turns into another instance of the game just not working. Which kind of breaks one of the founding tenants of even making a game: Letting customers play it.

Plus, y'know, DRM around the Anno series left a foul taste in a lot of customer's mouths. UbiSoft really borked up when they crippled AssCreed, but it's arguably more egregious that they hamstrung Anno 2070. Why? Because city building and economic development games are niche to begin with, so the demographics are smaller, and some companies (EA and Spore jump immediately to mind) see that as a "safe" testing bed for new DRM schemes. Because the genre comes with a dedicated, yet safely small guinea pig population. It's entirely understandable that people might HOPE that they get tossed a bone and a DRM free niche game gets released, as the experimental years are over and the results are most definitely in: DRM doesn't actually do anything to boost sales and the more "effective" it is the more it'll actually suppresses them.

I just hope that the dev studio nuts up and insists that they not get shafted on Steam, because the launch there WILL piss people off if UPlay is involved... and there will be so many returns just to spite UPlay.
    You sound like a joyfull type.

I purchased 2070 through steam and had to run uplay next to steam. I installed the game 3 times on 2 different hardware setups and I never had any problems playing my game. Don't be so ******* negative.

Originally Posted by Pax_Ethenica Go to original post
    Of course it shouldn't go through UPlay if it's available on Steam. Steam is one of the most effective DRM schemes in gaming history.
    Actually steam is one of the most hacked platforms out there at the moment and a lot of 'nosteam' piracy occurs on a daily basis. Steam is a platform made by valve, they release their games on it. Uplay is a platform made by Ubi, they release their games on it. Ubi also choose to release it on steam in its entirety (they didnt have to), Uplay is required to play. Seems it should be simple to understand.

I dont see why people have a problem with it. I have never ever once had a problem with any Uplay or any of Ubi's DRM, it all seems to be overhyped crap that people just jump on the bandwagon, everyone who Ubi bashes uplay and drm do so without any basis of complaint, they just piss and moan about it, and from what I read it seems more to the fact that its harder to pirate. And on the note of DRM which for the vast majority is of no issue, Ubi have a right to protect their commercial IP, if the trash in the world didnt pirate none of this would be required. I understand games can be expensive and hard to gauge due to lack of trial or shareware versions and in these situations I understand why people pirate to try but they should then do the right thing and buy if they like it.

Your complaint about the DRM like every other ive seen is baseless and without factual evidence to suggest it harms your experience or anyone elses. If Uplay bothers you that much, simply dont buy the game. Do your talking with your money, but ultimately your stance will mean you will miss out on the game, thats the trade off and decision you need to make, miss out to take a stance at Uplay or buy and enjoy it, just dont ruin everyone elses experience by having a cry about it.

In my experience both Uplay and Steam are great platforms, they both have their strong points. I quite like Uplays simple interface, Steam has a bigger catalogue. I dont like Valves/Steams pricing regime though, they are tax dodgers that for whatever reason are unable to deal with multiple currencies, but in saying that, comparably its similar enough to tolerate it for its convience. To give you an example, in my currency I can buy Anno 2205 for $99.95 AUD on Uplay, on steam as its sold for USD and its $77.95 which is $104.45 AUD. Uplay is cheaper for the same thing!

For the record, I bought the game through steam knowing full well it comes with Uplay and it doesnt matter because it works! I did so as I have around 150 games on steam along with Anno 2070 so I kept my catalogue togethor, but as my Ubi collection grows (I have 6 in Uplay now) I can see myself purchasing titles through Uplay platform, even other publishers as I see fit, I can see in the future I will be buying from who can simply provide me the best price, people pay more for service, but when you can get it everywhere, its about who can sell it to you cheaper.

I dont know why everyone is sooking about uplay or drm, i havent had alot of dramas with it. As for drm, its their product and its their right to protect their game from piracy, granted drm can be a pain. I feel for those who dont have a full time connection, that drm requires. i used to be on prepaid, and it was bloody expensive, and playing games that required a connection were a pain or a no go zone. but now i have a proper connection, so if they use drm or uplay i dont really care.

If you dont like uplay then dont buy it, there will be plenty who will. ME INCLUDED.

It suck anno only work with play

It suck ween you buy anno 2205-1800 you need I play buy anno 2205 must in installl uplay before you download on steam 🤬 ps suck steam have not right to sell anno 1800