20 54.05%
  • 3 was better,but Unity lived up to its hype more

5 13.51%
  • Unity was better,and it lived up to its hype more

11 29.73%
  • Unity was better,but 3 lived up to its hype more

1 2.70%

AC3 vs ACU

The two most controversial AC games of all time clash with each other.Both games were hyped to great levels and both of them left the majority of the fans disappointed.

I don't feel like overanalyzing,so i'll keep this short.Personally,both games are just fine,but definitely not near as "epic" as advertised.I prefer ACU though,because it took the right direction and returned to the series' roots,despite the not so great execution.The story was really mediocre though,my least favorite so far.
    On the other hand,AC3 perfected the parkour and combat(especially the animations) but the stealth was non-existent.The story was OK,but i was expecting something "bigger".

Xstantin's Avatar Senior Member
    Unity was better. Both did not live up to their hype

SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    Unity was better and lived up to its hype more, no question.

GunnerGalactico's Avatar Senior Member
    I'll give this one to Unity. Both did not live up to their hype IMO.

Objectively speaking, UNITY was the weaker game and failed to live up to its hype.

Why do I say objectively, the developers themselves explain this for Syndicate livestream launch:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty_5I5DiI0U

"With AC3, we said we could go anywhere do anything, the Frontier, the weather. We had a full seasonal weather - summer-winter-spring-fall..."

So they are proud of the game while they outright apologized for UNITY (the first game they did so far), one of them saying it was the first game where it was on a lower end. It wasn't just the glitches, they quoted the bad reviews which called the game an beautiful bore and "not so revolutionary".

Originally Posted by VestigialLlama4 Go to original post
    Objectively speaking, UNITY was the weaker game and failed to live up to its hype.

It's an apology video, of course they gonna say Unity was bad, blah blah.
    It's obvious you strongly dislike Unity but in no way ACIII beats it when it comes to gameplay. Even if it has flaws like cover system it just plays way better than ACIII.

Originally Posted by dimbismp Go to original post
    The two most controversial AC games of all time clash with each other.Both games were hyped to great levels and both of them left the majority of the fans disappointed.
    You need to be careful by bandying the word "disappointed". Its a huge, huge stretch to say the "majority of fans were disappointed with AC3" while that is true to UNITY.

AC3 had a terrific launch and amazing DLC. UNITY got Ubisoft's stock dropping a few points and they had to give their DLC for free (and lucky for them otherwise they would incur hatred for the worst DLC of the entire franchise). AC3 was seen as a noble, tragic failure by its critics whereas UNITY made Ubisoft the laughing stock of the gaming world. Please don't pretend that its the same thing.

The fact is regardless of how people felt about Connor, there were parts about AC3 that were loved unconditionally. Everyone loved Achilles, they loved the Naval Gameplay, they loved tree-running, they loved Haytham and everyone said that the Templars were the best yet. Almost no discussion online has yielded considerable affection for aspects of UNITY. Everyone likes Elise but people are disappointed by how badly she gets treated, everyone liked Bellec but same here. The game has the worst Templars in the entire franchise with Germain making Rodrigo Borgia look like Michael Corleone. And I can't think of anyone saying one mission that was genuinely great, not one iconic moment or dialogue that was shared or exchanged, its something people have to talk themselves into liking rather than the immediate praise AC3 got for comparable elements.

With regards to Connor, Connor was loved and still remains loved by fans, he won character awards at VGA (not a good measure but he did win it), whereas Arno has inspired nothing like the loyalty he has.

Originally Posted by KEVT2011 Go to original post
    It's an apology video, of course they gonna say Unity was bad, blah blah.
    The point, and I should think this was obvious, they did no such video for AC3. I mean yeah, internally they did do the petty thing where later writers made jokes about Connor and the like, but nobody apologized for it at all.

It's obvious you strongly dislike Unity but in no way ACIII beats it when it comes to gameplay. Even if it has flaws like cover system it just plays way better than ACIII.
    UNITY, the game that did away with whistling and leaning on corners has the weaker cover system. It was far more intuitive in AC3 (and Black Flag got praise for it even if they lifted it from there).

None of UNITY's stealth levels compares to the quality of the little stealth that is there in AC3, the Johnson Mission and the Bunker Hill mission are far better than UNITY's missions, better in story and more various in options and level designs whereas UNITY's stealth is five ways past a door.

And in any case, measuring a game for stealth does not make it a good AC game. This was, as developer Patrice Desilets called it, an action adventure game with stealth elements. Never a pure stealth game.

I'd take "five ways past a door" over running in a straight line from A to B to watch a cutscene tbh.

Namikaze_17's Avatar Senior Member
    Why are we having this thread again? How about something different like ACB vs AC4? AC1 vs ACR?

No, it just HAS to be the most "controversial" titles in the series.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last ►►