RetiredRonin's Avatar Senior Community Manager

Dev Update: Update 10 part 2

We just had a Dev Update, but let’s go ahead and jump back in and have another one. Today’s Developer Update is focused on Acorns and the new Customization Store. In Update 10 we’ve brought in the ability to pick up new bike skins, rims and player costume / clothing pieces. How do you find what’s new? Just head to the Bikes or Rider Menus from Trials Fusion’s dash and scroll through the menu selections for the parts you are looking for.

What new customization parts are available?
    We have more planned to become available between now and November, but these are the options available at TU10's launch.

• 7 Helmets for the Male & Female Rider
      • Including 5 based on the vehicles in the garage!
    • 3 outfits for the Female Rider
      • Including Barbara from the Rayman series inspired costume
    • 3 outfits for the Male Rider
      • Including a Rayman-inspired costume
    • 2 Pit Viper skins
    • 2 Rabbit skins
    • 1 Roach skin
    • 1 Baggie Skin
    • 5 Rim designs compatible with the Baggie, Roach, Pit Viper and FoxBat.

What are the costs for items?
    Acorns will be available in packages starting with the Bronze Pack, which is 1000 Acorns and costs $4.99. There will be more expensive Acorn packs, with more expensive packs offering better cost per Acorn ratios.

Larger customization items such as full bike skins and rider outfits cost 1000 to 2000 Acorns. Items such as a single helmet or bike rims cost around 200 to 750 Acorns. Players that really want to stand out from the pack can pick up some of the higher tiered premium content.

Why are outfits and bike skins more expensive than a helmet or rim set?
    A full outfit (including a new helmet) is more expensive than a single helmet because of how much extra is included in the purchase. You are also getting a costume top and bottom. Full costumes and bike skins take longer to create, so they are a bit more expensive in the shop.

Will buying items increase my chances of winning a race or setting a faster time?
    Only if the psychological effects of really digging your customized rider make you more confident. Trials Fusion customization parts are cosmetic changes only and do not alter the standard bike traits or game physics whatsoever. Regardless of what you do or do not purchase, everyone is playing by the same rules.

Why aren’t these items included with a purchased Season Pass or Awesome Level MAX?
    The Season Pass offered 6 DLCs worth of Trials-expanding content for $20 and Awesome Level MAX will be set at an equivalent price-to-content ratio. We think that both the Season Pass DLCs and Awesome Level MAX offer a tremendous gameplay value. The costs of developing these customization items require us to charge for them.

There are also customization objects that will be available in Awesome Level MAX that do not rely on either the previous currency or Acorn currency systems and will instead be available for all ALM players.

Can I earn ALL of the items by playing in Tournaments?
    While it is possible to unlock enough content to deck out your rider and your favorite bike, it will take time. It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to unlock every piece of customization gear for each bike and rider solely from Tournament play.

Originally Posted by RoguishRonin Go to original post
    Can I earn ALL of the items by playing in Tournaments?
    While it is possible to unlock enough content to deck out your rider and your favorite bike, it will take time. It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to unlock every piece of customization gear for each bike and rider solely from Tournament play.
    This is very disappointing

VEGASTRASH's Avatar Senior Member
    If you place top 10% in a tournament, how many acorns do you receive....roughly?
    This is the question. 1000 acorns = $5. A full outfit may run 2000 acorns, $10. A tournament takes maybe 5 minutes. If a tournament placing in the top 10% yields 100 acorns...one hour of tournament gameplay should= $5 of value roughly.
    Personally, there is no doubt that rider gear...full outfits, etc should have came with each dlc. There's no reason it shouldn't. Fmx, skill games, challenges suck a lot of resources in development. You'd be able to create say 20 outfits each dlc easily...if the time were focused on those. XP points could have been used as cash or in conjunction with. Each dlc would add to the progression of the game with unlockables. The only way this was overlooked was to use this as a cash grab.
    So how many acorns do you get for placing top 10% in a tournament? You can't handle the truth!! Haha

Lol. While I am always right, sometimes I really wish I wasnt.

$10 for an outfit? thats half the price of the base game and thats not even the "higher tiered premium content". And, "if not impossible" to earn through normal play. Bravo, good show ole boy.

Ahh, what a beautiful mess this series is becoming. I wont hammer the point home, no reason to shoot the messenger.. especially since I think even the messenger already knows how ridiculous this is. Even for microtransactions these are godawful.

booped's Avatar Senior Member
    I'm speechless.

While I dont like cowclicker tactics, its not suprising concidering the way latest Ubisoft games were headed. Its some kind of new policy they had for the last few years since... AC IV I'd say.
    Rayman Legends was the last "old design" game they released, with no DLCs and no paid unlocks and other crap, only content. So this is not really a RedLynx thing, its more of a Ubisoft direction in how their games are to be used and played.

Most important part is that people are not locked out of content they paid for, its just visual stuff to look cooler to your opponents like in League of Legends( and I have alot of skins there during my 5+ years of playing it). People love to grind in Trials anyway so I dont see this as something gamebreaking, just extra fluff for those that want the shiny stuff and for those that want to pay-to-not-play like in Frontier. Pricing will be off through the roof for sure, if they're gonna follow Frontier model. There's a sale on it right now, 15 euros/dollars for a bike skin and some diamonds/acorns to give you a hint. And thats 50% off price.
    So sure, bring it.

I miss the old days when games rewarded cosmetic items for in-game accomplishments... now developers only ever seem to include cosmetic items for profit. oh well...

i have nothing against selling outfits and stuff but 5 or even 10$ for ONE outfit? are you kidding me?

En0-'s Avatar Trials Developer
    Hi everyone,

I will try to answer some questions.

"How many acorns do you get when you place well in a tournament?"
    It's something we haven't decided yet and it's something that can change depending on the tournament or event. So, we will adapt depending on what we see happening in game, what feedback we receive from the community and what we want to do at that time (if we want to have a lot of activity at some point, we'll probably do a tournament that rewards more than the others for example).
    Also, we haven't decided how many tournaments rewarding acorns there will be every month. It's in nobody's interest to be able to get everything for free but it's in everyone's interest that players who play regularly get something regularly. Both are not mutually exclusive.

"10$ one outfit! It's a lot!"
    Yes, it is. However, it's not the price of every outfit. It's actually the price of a 5 or 10% of the items. The majority of the items are much lower and we try to cover a large range of pricing (from very cheap to quite expensive). This is to ensure every profile of player gets something that fits his expectation. It's a little bit like when you buy shoes, you can find some shoes for 5$ and some shoes for 400$, up to you then to take what you want and leave the rest. Some people will go for the 400$ shoes.
    Also, please take into account that the pack 4.99$ / 1000 acorns is the smallest one. There are 3 other bigger packs that gives a better ratio $/accorns which decreases the price of the items.

"It's used as a cash grab. Why do we have to pay? Why you just don't do less FMX/challenges and give customization objects for free or as part of the DLC?"
    That's not as simple as that. It's not "FMX or customization" (especially as it's not done by the same people) and from a business strategy point of view, both fill different part of the strategy. FMX/challenges help us to open Trials to new players. Customization and virtual currency help us to keep the price of the base game and the DLCs lower.

"That's Ubisoft strategy."
    I will say it once more. It has nothing related to Ubisoft. We have a great collaboration with everyone inside Ubisoft and it really helps us to be part of Ubisoft but the game is the responsibility of RedLynx. For the introduction of the virtual currency, I have been in the discussions since the beginning and responsible to lead its design and implementation. The initial talk was "how can we support more/longer the game while keeping the prices down and keeping the project profitable (which is obviously the condition to be able to keep working on the game/licence) ?". One part of the answer was to introduce a way for the community to support the game more and to invest in it more.

If I stand here, it's because I believe we did the right thing for the players and for the team. It just needs to be explained and discussed respectfully.
    The main point for us was to keep things fair, so: no ambiguity, no Pay2Win, only customization, totally optional.

Players associate naturally virtual currency to other business models they don't want to see on Fusion: Pay2Win, paywalls in the middle of the progression, recurring payment.
    It was clear for us that none of that would happen in Trials Fusion: it doesn't impact gameplay, it doesn't block progression and when you buy something, you get it forever.

We chose to use virtual currency rather than proposing several big DLC packages with customization because it's better for players and for us, having virtual currency allows us to:
    - Give some to players for gameplay/community activities and other give aways. This means players can get new things by just playing (which we couldn't do with DLC packages). Also, we'll give some acorns to everyone when the feature comes out.
    - Release new objects more regularly.
    - Organize discounts when we want/how we want without having to go through Sony/Microsoft.
    - Propose more different objects and players can get only what they want (in a DLC player has to take everything or nothing).

I hope this information give you more visibility and if you have other questions, feel free.

Thank you,

Eno

Originally Posted by RoguishRonin Go to original post

It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to unlock every piece of customization gear for each bike and rider solely from Tournament play.
    From what I can see, not many people play tournaments regularly anyway, now this
    Originally Posted by En0- Go to original post
    Hi everyone,

Players associate naturally virtual currency to other business models they don't want to see on Fusion: Pay2Win, paywalls in the middle of the progression, recurring payment.
    It was clear for us that none of that would happen in Trials Fusion: it doesn't impact gameplay, it doesn't block progression and when you buy something, you get it forever.

This might carry more information than what is seen initially. Just a speculation

Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last ►►