Corleone-Kun's Avatar Junior Member

Anyone else miss when the games focused more on the Assassin and The Brotherhood?

Is is just me or the newer AC tittles are more about the Location and less about the Protagonist Assassin and the Brotherhood,and of course the fight against the templars? I think that is also why the modern day history is getting put aside. So,what do you guys think about this? Do you like it this way ( I don't).

EmptyCrustacean's Avatar Banned
    I agree completely. That's ultimately what has turned AC into an innovationless, generic video game no different from any other triple A title.

ninja4hire10's Avatar Member
    MD's the only part of the AC lore I dislike, so I like the fact the series seems as if it's steering the focus away from it. TBH, I wish they'd never have introduced the MD component into the games at all.

It's all about my personal experience with the story and I only involve myself with the MD stuff when the game forces me to. Otherwise, I just happily stick to the historical playground.

EDIT: Sorry, don't know where my brain went when I posted this; my reply seems off-topic. What I MEANT to say was the ONGOING struggle between the Brotherhood v. Order in MD is what I don't care for. Brotherhood focused more on the internal workings of the organization -- fine, considering the title. But like some others posted, the series isn't supposed to be about the 'Hood as a whole; it's about how the MC's role in the 'Hood during the set time period.

JamesFaith007's Avatar Member
    I am more interested in historical events and locations then MD since the AC2 so I have no problem with it.

Personally, the games were always about the Location and the Assassin. It was never really too much about the Brotherhood as an organization.

Like AC1 - The brotherhood is essentially Altair, Malik and Al Mualim and maybe Acre Rafiq. Its a very personal individual story.

AC2 - Its about Ezio and Renaissance Italy, most of the people he meets don't reveal they are Assassins till the very end.

BROTHERHOOD is the only game that focused on how the Assassins work as an actual organization. REVELATIONS is Ezio being a Professor in Residence at the Assassin University, Istanbul.

AC3 - Its about America, History, Connor, Haytham and the Homestead.

Black Flag - Pirates.

UNITY - Is about Arno getting into Elise's pants. So no real focus on anything else.

I like that Assassins' Creed games can tackle a bunch of subjects rather than focus on one specific aspect over others.

Shahkulu101's Avatar Senior Member
    There's one game where the Brotherhood is the main focus, it's importance has not suddenly deteriorated as the series has went on - you're just being nostalgic.

AC1: Introduced us to the Brotherhood yes, but mainly a personal story of redemption as he regains his former status.

AC2: Personal revenge story in which Ezio isn't even aware he's an Assassin until the second last sequence, which is also when the Brotherhood were revealed to them.

ACB: Brotherhood is the main focus, obviously.

ACR: Has the Brotherhood mechanic but it's importance is lessened since the story isn't really about liberating Constantinople.

I'll stop at the Ezio games, since that's probably the point you thought the games stopped being about the Brotherhood. Well I'm afraid that's false and you're viewing the Ezio games (and AC1) with rose tinted glasses, because only one game has ever focused on the Brotherhood as the MAIN point and it's been a background theme for basically every game except maybe AC3.

EmptyCrustacean's Avatar Banned
    Originally Posted by Shahkulu101 Go to original post
    There's one game where the Brotherhood is the main focus, it's importance has not suddenly deteriorated as the series has went on - you're just being nostalgic.

AC1: Introduced us to the Brotherhood yes, but mainly a personal story of redemption as he regains his former status.

AC2: Personal revenge story in which Ezio isn't even aware he's an Assassin until the second last sequence, which is also when the Brotherhood were revealed to them.

ACB: Brotherhood is the main focus, obviously.

ACR: Has the Brotherhood mechanic but it's importance is lessened since the story isn't really about liberating Constantinople.

I'll stop at the Ezio games, since that's probably the point you thought the games stopped being about the Brotherhood. Well I'm afraid that's false and you're viewing the Ezio games (and AC1) with rose tinted glasses, because only one game has ever focused on the Brotherhood as the MAIN point and it's been a background theme for basically every game except maybe AC3.
    Oh really re: AC1? The brotherhood was just background? LOL! Some people will say anything to defend the latter games.

So all that ham fisted dialogue about what it means to be a true Assassin, whether the Assassins and Templars are that different after all, the student turning on his master, the long speeches, Altair's brothers scolding him whenever he did something that compromised their creed ("yes, yes I know. In fact, the whole city knows!") etc is not brotherhood centric? In AC1, they used an individual's story to cleverly demonstrate the values and beliefs of the Assassins and how they differ in comparison to their foes. That's what every Assassin's Creed game should be. Altair's story of trying to regain his honour forced him to reconsider whether he understood what he was trying to achieve and re-learn everything he thought he all ready knew.

Before his demotion he was arrogant, thought himself above the brotherhood and lost sight of the creed's meaning. Making him novice made him rediscover his own creed - even though it seemed at first he was just trying to climb the ranks. By the end, he proves he had learned when he apologises for his wreckless behaviour at the end. To cut a long story short his entire motivation , his end game is focused on being part of the brotherhood again. It's not a revenge plot, it's not a love story, it's not about pirates or Native Americans. It's about a man trying to get back into the only world he's ever known and figuring out if he really understands and wants this. Of all the narratives Altair's is the one that DIRECTLY informs and reinforces the philosophical ideas of the brotherhood. By the nature of the story; it has to. Oh, and let's not forget the epic battle at the end with all the Assassins trying to stop Al Muliam in Maysaf...

The brotherhood in those first few games is a constant presence. You feel them even when they're not there. In the case of AC2 that was pretty literal since they had been manipulating the events in Ezio's life to set him on the right path. To think that for a game to be classed as an Assassin's game that it needs to be called 'Brotherhood' and have Assassins help you out from time to time is simplistic to say the least. Brotherhood was the first time that the brotherhood was incorporated into the GAMEPLAY by the protagonist but as for the story it's no more Assassin-centric than the other earlier games.

It starts to go to hell once we get to AC3. It didn't work because Connor was never really an Assassin. He was a lone wolf manipulated into it in order to save his tribe which he failed at anyway.
     1 people found this helpful

Xstantin's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by EmptyCrustacean Go to original post
    That's ultimately what has turned AC into an innovationless, generic video game no different from any other triple A title.
    I don't think I follow here tbh. Seems it's been in the background since forever. Lack of brotherhood is not really the problem imo.

Kaschra's Avatar AC Expert
    Originally Posted by EmptyCrustacean Go to original post

It starts to go to hell once we get to AC3. It didn't work because Connor was never really an Assassin. He was a lone wolf manipulated into it in order to save his tribe which he failed at anyway.
    Yes. Yes, he was.
    Connor might not have started out with the desire to be an Assassin (just like EZIO), but over time he truly started to believe and fight for their cause.

SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    TBH AC3 had more to do with the brotherhood than AC2. Connor's quest was about reviving the brotherhood and killing Templars. He recruited people into the assassins along the way. Ezio didn't even know the people he was killing were Templars up until a certain point and he didn't care about the brotherhood at all. It was all about a personal vengeance story. He didn't know the people who helped him along the way were assassins until the end.

I'd say the games where the brotherhood was most in focus are AC1, ACB and ACR. AC2 and AC4 had the least focus on the brotherhood. Ironically, they're two of the most popular entries in the franchise. Is it any surprise so many games have strayed away from the original focus?