pacmanate's Avatar Senior Member

Nolan North reveals original AC plan and how he found Desmond got boring

Skip to 34 minutes.

He reveals the original concept was to be 6 games and how he found Desmond became boring. He also reveals how he hated doing the AC4 voice messages just for the sake of it and hated how Desmond became a whiny *****.

Edit: Nolans info on 6 games is apparently false

Thanks for posting.

I totally agree with him.

ModernWaffle's Avatar Member
    Good find

The six game concept actually sounded like it had a lot of potential and if Ubisoft stuck with that route, I wonder if they still would have used Paris and London as settings or whether Black Flag would have been released or not.

Desmond actually learning to master the abilities of six prominent assassins would have also made him seem much more special in comparison to the fate he has by the end of AC3, which is a real shame IMO since it did not give him a satisfying ending.

Shahkulu101's Avatar Senior Member
    Nolan's awesome, love listening to him. Honest too, really appreciate that.

And Desmond being the ultimate Assassin would have been amazing, it was always the idea I had in my head.

Sorrosyss's Avatar Senior Member
    Can't see Mr North returning to voice Desmond again from the sounds of this. Suppose it's best to leave Mr Miles to his afterlife, as recasting is always horrible.

I really wish they stuck to that original 6 game formula, would've been amazing having traveling through time and stuff.

I also agree 100% with him on Desmond.

I-Like-Pie45's Avatar Senior Member
    remember

you and yves ruined everything that could've been

pacmanate's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by modernwaffle Go to original post
    Good find

The six game concept actually sounded like it had a lot of potential and if Ubisoft stuck with that route, I wonder if they still would have used Paris and London as settings or whether Black Flag would have been released or not.

Desmond actually learning to master the abilities of six prominent assassins would have also made him seem much more special in comparison to the fate he has by the end of AC3, which is a real shame IMO since it did not give him a satisfying ending.
    Exactly, the original concept sounded so much better. It's interesting how he noticed Desmond becoming more pushed to the side and more whiny. For him to have 6 ancestors and become an ultimate Assassin sounds way better than what we got.

I also thought it was interesting how he seems to hate that he had to do voice messages in AC4 for the sake of tying up loose ends.

That moment when you know that Ubisoft took a once great series and ruined it. After Desmond's death, the series isnt Assassin's Creed anymore.

Exactly, the original concept sounded so much better. It's interesting how he noticed Desmond becoming more pushed to the side and more whiny.
    Honestly, it's not that unexpected that Desmond got pushed to the side.

AC1 reaction to Desmond: "Booooooooo, why we get out of the Animus so many times, just let us back in?"
    AC2 reaction to Desmond: "Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, there's almost no Desmond in the game at all!"

So after that we kinda got stuck with Desmond because we had to, the message that Ubi got from the general populace (sure, this forum is very pro-modern day, but the general, much bigger, audience isn't) is "We don't want Desmond". Yay for AC2, the best game in the series That instead of fixing what didn't work in the original game just scrapped it all to make something more sure-fire, and then the series kinda went on with it.

The only reason (well, in my opinion) why we got some better Desmond parts after was because there were a couple of people who thought that he could be salvaged somehow (and because in terms of games like ACB that wouldn't be that expensive due to reuse of assets), but the damage was already done, the general reaction was still 'Ugh, Desmond'.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last ►►