Okay I would assume this topic has been discussed before but being a lazy sod I can't be arsed to look for it.

So I'm asking this question. If money is not a consideration which graphics card you go for Geforce 6800 ultra or the X800XT PE.

I play alot of IL2 and games like Counter Strike Source, Far Cry and the upcomign Rome Total War. A mix of Opengl and Direct3d flavoured games. I wish to use linux as well so that favours OpenGL. But I can't for the life of me decide. Can anyone give us a rough idea of there performance in this game with a P4 3.2 or AMD 64 3400 with a gig or ram.

Thxs for help.

Okay I would assume this topic has been discussed before but being a lazy sod I can't be arsed to look for it.

So I'm asking this question. If money is not a consideration which graphics card you go for Geforce 6800 ultra or the X800XT PE.

I play alot of IL2 and games like Counter Strike Source, Far Cry and the upcomign Rome Total War. A mix of Opengl and Direct3d flavoured games. I wish to use linux as well so that favours OpenGL. But I can't for the life of me decide. Can anyone give us a rough idea of there performance in this game with a P4 3.2 or AMD 64 3400 with a gig or ram.

Thxs for help.

Tully__'s Avatar Global Moderator
    A thread directly on this topic: here

And a list of several that are roughly on this topic: here

The advanced search function on this forum is very good, it took me a whole 15 seconds to find those.

=================================================

Tully's X-45 profile (SST drivers)
    Joysticks & FB

Salut
    Tully

both are nice cards, i would say go with the one that will save you some cash.

"To fly a combat mission is not a trip under the moon. Every attack, every bombing is a dance with death."
    - Serafima Amsova-Taranenko: Noggle, Ann (1994): A Dance with Death.

Will either of these cards run IL2 at 1600x1200 with full aa and af.

That will depend to some extent on the rest of your system. Flight sims are very demanding on CPU, memory, sound card etc., video performance in flight sims is dependant on more than just your vid card.

Joysticks & FB

Salut
    Tully

I have a AMD 64 3400 overclocked to 2.4Ghz and some OCZ EB at 440mhz with good timings. I heard this game is limited by the cpu. I know everyones system is different.....but what would you reckon?

For a full estimate of your system post your dxdiag report in the community help forum. The experts there will let you know likely game performance levels and also point out any driver or system setup optimisations that might help.

Joysticks & FB

Salut
    Tully

If you play IL-2FB/AEP with Perfect (Maxed out grafix settings) @ 1600*1200 with 8x AA (Nvidia) and 16x AF you can play it but i don't think it will be fun...

i can get an average of 7FPS while watching a =track= i recorded (i was NOT gaming), there are only 7 planes fighting each other (including mine), no ground objects (on the map) and no citys in sight.

that are my specs:
    Abit A-7N Rev2.0
    AMD AthlonXP 2500+@3200+
    1GiG Infineon PC2700 DDR-RAM (Dual-Chanel)
    ATI Radeon 9800 @380[Core]/310[Mem]

so even assuming that you can get 5times that FPS (since GfX-Cards made a real step forward and your CPU is verry good)

you will have 35FPS AVERAGE!
    with only a few planes involved...

with lower resolution 60+ in average is doable.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Von_Jap:
    I have a AMD 64 3400 overclocked to 2.4Ghz and some OCZ EB at 440mhz with good timings. I heard this game is limited by the cpu. I know everyones system is different.....but what would you reckon?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With the Nvidia, no. The ATI, yes. The Nvidia card takes too much of a hit once you start cranking up AA/Anis.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►