Hi all, I'm running Windows 2000 pro with 512mb RAM, and I just got another 512 chip. When I boot up my computer, it counts all 1GB at the BIOS bootup, but hangs when Windows tries to start. I don't think that the RAM is incompatible with my MB, because it counts it and doesn't do anything funny. Do I need to change anything with Windows to get it to accept the 1GB? Thanks to anyone that can help!

Hi all, I'm running Windows 2000 pro with 512mb RAM, and I just got another 512 chip. When I boot up my computer, it counts all 1GB at the BIOS bootup, but hangs when Windows tries to start. I don't think that the RAM is incompatible with my MB, because it counts it and doesn't do anything funny. Do I need to change anything with Windows to get it to accept the 1GB? Thanks to anyone that can help!

You just added an 512MB stick? Is it the same class, type or something?

It sounds like there is a memory problem. Once the memory is used (when windows loads), it crashes, due to I/O errors. Check your timings and adjust them to the stick with the lower values, or better, go to a very low setting and make your way up, checking when your machine crashes. (then take one step back )

greets
    Capt.LoneRanger

your operating system (windows 200) can't handle the extra RAM, as far as I know only XP can handle 512MB+ of ram

well that is without tampering one or another windows file I'd rather stay out

------------------------------
    Teamplay on a dogfightserver
    It sounds like a classic game of air-quake!?

Quote from extreme One

http://www.entity-project.tk
    AMD 2500+ @3200+
    Asus A7n8X-X
    512MB DDR 3200 Apacer
    Sapphire 9800 atlantis PRO
    2x80mm Coolermaster fans
    1x 120 mm PAPST fan
    Thermalright SP 97 CPU cooler
    Sunbeam rheobus

razor thats not correct.

Yes, I'm sure that 2000 can handle more than 1GB. The RAM sticks are both PC2700 333 512MB, so they should be seen as identical by Windows, right?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1.JaVA_Razer:
    your operating system (windows 200) can't handle the extra RAM, as far as I know only XP can handle 512MB+ of ram
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite incorrect. Even Windows 98 can handle up to 768MB of RAM without difficulty and can go further with the help of utilities.

Windows XP and Windows 2000 are similar operating systems, and take up to the maximum memory that 32bit systems can support. You should have no difficulty whatsoever with 1GB (I have a system running with 1.5GB under Windows 2000).

Capt.LoneRanger is right - Multimetal's problem is most likely with the memory card and whatever timing settings you are using.

[This message was edited by musickna on Thu September 02 2004 at 11:43 AM.]

Just so I'm sure-the timings are set in the BIOS, right? Right now mine are on "auto", but I would set it to a lower value and go up until it doesn't hang? Will I be able to get it to run at 333 doing this? Thanks again for any help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Multimetal:
    Just so I'm sure-the timings are set in the BIOS, right? Right now mine are on "auto", but I would set it to a lower value and go up until it doesn't hang? Will I be able to get it to run at 333 doing this? Thanks again for any help.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually having the setting at 'auto' may well be the source of your problem, particularly if the two memory sticks you have in your system are not a matched pair - each stick may have a different SPD timing set, and conflicts are being generated using 'auto'. Try manual settings - not actually knowing what your BIOS will let you do, I can't answer more than that!
    good luck!

steiner562's Avatar Senior Member
    Have you tested the new stick by itself?, sound like a good old memory leak to me caused by a faulty stick.