So last night a friend and I fire up a DF server and a couple others join. At one point I grab my trusty old IL2 41 field mod, bombs and rockets and head to the other airfield.

Working with Hammer, I managed to get four Air to Air kills and two ground kills.

That was a blast. They were both flying LA-7's, so I wasn't making tailing shots, I'd et hammer to drag them in front of me and BAM with the 23mm's.

That was great. I got shot down while trying to cover Hammer heading back to base, but at least one of them was smoking first

So last night a friend and I fire up a DF server and a couple others join. At one point I grab my trusty old IL2 41 field mod, bombs and rockets and head to the other airfield.

Working with Hammer, I managed to get four Air to Air kills and two ground kills.

That was a blast. They were both flying LA-7's, so I wasn't making tailing shots, I'd et hammer to drag them in front of me and BAM with the 23mm's.

That was great. I got shot down while trying to cover Hammer heading back to base, but at least one of them was smoking first

The IL-2 Field Mod is surprisingly fun to fly and DF in, those 23mm cannons make a mess of anything short of a heavy bomber

For even more fun take the IL-2 series 3 (no tail gunner for even more manoeuvrability) and give them a good beating. [Note that a wingman is fairly essential to cover you a$$ ]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kamikaze_Gibbon:

those 23mm cannons make a mess of anything short of a heavy bomber

For even more fun take the IL-2 series 3 (no tail gunner for even more manoeuvrability) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the IL2 23mmm cannon are just about the hardest hitting cannon in FB . . . . . . . . they do just fine on all planes

the Feild Mod is the best IL2 for DF performance .......... better than the no gunner IL2s even

Udidtoo's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WUAF_Badsight:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kamikaze_Gibbon:

those 23mm cannons make a mess of anything short of a heavy bomber

For even more fun take the IL-2 series 3 (no tail gunner for even more manoeuvrability) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the IL2 23mmm cannon are just about the hardest hitting cannon in FB . . . . . . . . they do just fine on all planes

the Feild Mod is the best IL2 for DF performance .......... better than the no gunner IL2s even<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heartily agree. After you have played a off line IL2 campaign you really look forward to being assigned that ride when you know its going to become available. Its a blast to watch your Ai mates jettson their ordanance during a mission and watch the hunters become the hunted.

I always have just enough fuel to arrive at the scene of my crash.

A fieldmod is certainly the best balance of front and rear firepower for airstrip busting - and for some reason these fighter chaps take it realy personal when they are shot down ny an IL2. It must be an ego problem.

I heared that 69.GIAP were recruiting for a crack squad of Il2 pilots. Imagine what 6 IL2s could do to an airbase....

Check out http://www.baseclass.modulweb.dk/69giap/home.0.html

Have gone bac to my il2's after a LONG period of being AWOL and am suprised at just how manuverable is.

I may have to take that back though as my usual ride is a p-47D-27

"There's no such thing as gravity, the earth sucks!"

Yeah, I noticed on the way back to base they came after me with a vengence.

And imagine those same six IL-2's with voice coms engaging enemy aircraft. They could cover each other and shoot down the interceptors quick and still have ammo to move mud.