And 'Why'

And 'Why'

I might be slightly biased, as I live 5 miles from RAF scampton, but the Lanc wins every time for me.

Higher bombload, more stable, and better defensive armament (if i remember correctly)

The Halifax....

If you were a crew member...you had a better chance of bailing out than in a Lancaster.

Both aircraft had virtually no armour plate for the seven-man crews as the RAF believed that it was more important to carry as many bombs as possible. They had half the number of defensive guns compared to a B17 and were about half the calibre (0.303 v 0.5 inch).

The Lancaster could carry up to a 22,000 lbs bombload.

I'm reading 'To Hell and Back' by Mel Rolfe which recounts the experiences of these crews. Suggested reading for all with an interest.

Regards
    MB_Avro

There...She did'nt seek publicity and was'nt a propaganda icon, she was built to last and built well, from the rain and mud of Yorkshire airfields to the baking sun of North Africa, from Europe to the Middle East...She was there!
    Born from a firm of design excellence, a great a/c to begin with to a superb one at the end, an a/c of all seasons and scenario's, serving with many and bringing them home again and again...There's no contest, Halifax, do a job and bring them home, time after time!

at night that is

Cajun76's Avatar Senior Member
    Why did you ask if you already decided well in advance? Personally, I'd pick the Lanc. Ever since I read "The Dam Busters" I've liked it. I even spent some cash for the CFS2 mod/expansion "The Dam Busters"

Good hunting,
    Cajun76

Have you thanked a veteran today?

HellToupee's Avatar Senior Member
    landcaster, its really the grandslam that dose it, much like the pe8 and that 5000kg monster.

Cajun76's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HellToupee:
    landcaster, its really the grandslam that dose it, much like the pe8 and that 5000kg monster.

http://lamppost.mine.nu/ahclan/files...itwhiners1.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing like a 10 ton earthquake bomb to ruin someone's day!

Good hunting,
    Cajun76

Have you thanked a veteran today?

I'd like to fly either.

Preferably one of the ones with a belly turret