B&Z is you make 1 pass and run away. Energy tactics is like yo-yo's and wide swooping turns and keeping your enemy slow. The P-38 is not good B&Z because it does not have the take-down firepower like the Mk-108, but it is VERY good at energy fighting. You can energy fight ANYTHING in th P-38. Zero's, Ki-84's, 109's, 190's. Just keep it fast.

Korolov's Avatar Senior Member
    I have to admit, that while the P-38 is my favorite plane, the Jug has qualities I like better. High speed elevator authority is one, dive speed is another. However, the P-38 is far more redundant than the P-47, and that makes it a better ground pounder than the Jug, not to mention the fact that the Jug's rocket and bomb load cannot compete with the P-38Ls (it's a toss up between the P-38J and P-47D).

For going out and busting ground targets, then being able to defend yourself on the way home, it has to be the P-38. For interception, P-38 again. But for hunter/killer, the P-47.

BuzzU's Avatar Senior Member
    The P-38 doesn't need elevator authority. It's got the dive brake.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Buzz