OK heard alot about the ability of the ai gunners, but for the the most part when I fly the B-17 on-line 95% attack it from the 6 o'clock position? isn't that one of the worst places to attack? From what I hear you should try a high or low deflection shot from the 3-5o'clock/7-9o'clock positions. In either a 30-45 degree dive/climb?

Salute!
    AB AtomicRunt

OK heard alot about the ability of the ai gunners, but for the the most part when I fly the B-17 on-line 95% attack it from the 6 o'clock position? isn't that one of the worst places to attack? From what I hear you should try a high or low deflection shot from the 3-5o'clock/7-9o'clock positions. In either a 30-45 degree dive/climb?

Salute!
    AB AtomicRunt

I was coming down in a 90 degree angle on top of a tb-3 the other night. My speed was well over 600kph and right as I opened up on the cockpit I got sniped from about 300m or so from the first burst of the ai. I mean what do I have to do not to get sniped! I attack at extrememly high speed from extreme angles and get pk'd or greased in one pass, never fails.

Did anyone see that or was it just me?

Tb-3 has no Guns on the underside mate. Different strategy for different aircraft. Know your enemy.

Ive tried all angles and speeds nearly always end up with my engine taken out.
    If I fly close without attacking they take out my engine usually on the first shot.

I now stay away unless i can`t find anything else.

Franzen's Avatar Senior Member
    I love attacking the B-17's, they're tough as nails. My favorite attack position is from about 5:30 a little low, not much. I know, it doesn't make sense but all the logical angles are suicide. Go figure

Fritz

Right...for as far as i've read this topic, you guys are ALL DEADMEAT attacking B17's from angles around it's 6...

use the Luftwaffe tactic exploited by the Fw190's on the B17's and B24's in fact, use'it on ALL bombers:

Overtake 'em about 700M above 'em fly past and ahead for about 2Km...make a shallow turn 180 degrees and attack the bombers HEAD-ON, aim for the engines and cockpit...
    Afterwards, do NOT dive away but turn at the same height OUT of reach of the top and tailgunners and line up for another run...

i can whack 1 B17 PER run if my aim is right...
    and it conserves ammo...if you manage to hit the cockpit in the first run..

try it..i think you all like it...it is 300% safer than attacking it's 6..

regards,

Der Tote Baron a.k.a. SK_Black_Knight....

Rajvosa's Avatar Banned
    Baron

Don't waste your breath trying to explain the proper tactics to these guys! If they hadn't figured it out by now, I guess they never will. No matter how hard you try.

Regards,

Jasko

if that is the case, then they are pretty lousy marksmen...

everyone should stick to his own favoured tactic..but imho it is pretty st000pid to go whack bombers from a 3-6 to 9-o clock position..that is simply ASKING to get shot up..
    I made that mistake once and never do it again..

but i wish you guys happy hunting then

regards,

Der Tote Baron a.k.a. SK_Black_Knight....

Well since I only play online why would I want to expose my self to enemy fighters by continueing to hit a tb-3 from down below 1000m. Is a steep 600kmh 90degree 12 o'clock high dive not safe enough? Obviously not and until the ai is tuned I will continue to whine and kick until its fixed. Try sitting in a gunners seat and hit the pilot (or even the plane) with a closing speed of over 800kmh on your first burst, I bet you can't.

Did anyone see that or was it just me?