Tks for all the info Stalls/Spins, having been practising off-line, and am aware of limiations in Spit by no means proficient but all your input has been a great help.

Next question to practise flight behaviour I have just made a single mission Spit Mk Vb against Ace Bf-109-E4, no advantage, naturally this inevitably invlves both aircraft coming head on.

What are the best tactics?

At the moment I tend to wait until closing distance approx 1k dive and barrel roll/bank.

I notice on-line head tp head is common, however I never fly externals or padlock on, presumably at a big dis-advantage because of this, most who fly no externals/padlock are alreadty accomplished, bear in mind my novice status!

http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/...on%20Wijaszko/

http://www.geocities.com/skrzydla/

Tks for all the info Stalls/Spins, having been practising off-line, and am aware of limiations in Spit by no means proficient but all your input has been a great help.

Next question to practise flight behaviour I have just made a single mission Spit Mk Vb against Ace Bf-109-E4, no advantage, naturally this inevitably invlves both aircraft coming head on.

What are the best tactics?

At the moment I tend to wait until closing distance approx 1k dive and barrel roll/bank.

I notice on-line head tp head is common, however I never fly externals or padlock on, presumably at a big dis-advantage because of this, most who fly no externals/padlock are alreadty accomplished, bear in mind my novice status!

I play chicken!

Seriously, I usually try to gain altitude above the enemy once I spot them. I try to put myself in a position where the enemy must climb and lose energy. I'm never too concerned if this allows then to end up on my tail as long as I have this energy advantage, however if I can manage a turn on them when they are recovering from the climb it can be bagged up very quickly.

But it all depends on the situation and planes involved. A little too much info for me to type during my work break that technically ended 35 minutes ago.

By the way, padlock can be as much a detriment as an advantage unless you understand and use it correctly. Using the hat is all I personally need to look around. Most external views offer little to no advantage in combat (except external padlock maybe) and the cockpit views do just as well.

"Thanks for the inspiration to rise above you all."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:
    About the head-on....DON'T.

Only a poor pilot will find himself in a "joust" situation. Never endeavor to start a fight from such a poor position. Rule of thumb is, wait until you're on somebody's six before you go hosing away with the guns. If you're not on his tail, you haven't put in the work yet.

It's almost always a dumb thing to do to give up a shot to get a shot. The other guy might be a better shot than you. He might be luckier than you. He may have more guns than you. Too much risk. Solve your position problem first, then worry about the offensive.

There are some exceptions to this, notably if you know you're up against a weakly gunned plane and you've got something like a FW190, bristling with cannon. Then it becomes less of a risk (but still too much for my tastes). Or, your plane is damaged or you're badly outnumbered and this is the only shot you're likely to get. And in that latter case, I'd think getting the hell out of there is preferable to thinking about a shot, anyway. The last exception is attacking a bomber with heavy tail gunnery.

If I see enemy in the vicinity, I try to insist on the alt advantage. If I don't have it, I'll try to make my course parallel and grab. Let him climb up to me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a jug pilot, so I have an advantage is most head-ons, and an about even with the 190.

Anywho, when things get really hairy, when there are more bogeys than I can keep track of, I will sometimes find a boegy at 12 o'clock and pointed at me.

In the jug, I can attempt to maneuver but I like my energy to much. And besides, he will usually get a more dangerous deflection shot off even If i take evasive action. And with those pearls, I decide that my best shot is to point straight at him and hope I kill him before he seriously damages me. The Jug is good at doint that.

I once took a 108 round right to my propellor hub and sustained only cosmetic damage. I watched the track and couldn't believe I didn't loose the engine. Amazing.

go jugg.

tttiger's Avatar Senior Member
    One again, yet another thread that boils down to simmers versus arcaders.

Head-ons are the all time Noob tactic for arcaders only. The fly-die-respawn-fly-etc. DF crowd.

The only place it was used in WWII as a standard tactic was against Japanese fighters that were very fragile and highly flammable while flying US aircraft that were very tough.

Find me a historical source that says otherwise, please.

Can't believe anyone would even start a thread on it. There's nothing to debate.

ttt

"I want the one that kills the best with the least amount of risk to me"

-- Chuck Yeager describing "The Best Airplane."

Head-on is a bad situation to get into. It's like playing Russian roulette. Since you fly with the ****-pit on, I'd recommend that you fly in 'Full Real' servers only. In such servers, the key is to not let your opponent see you. I'm assuming that you're flying the Spitfire, so your best bet is to single out a fighter that has already left the fur-ball, and is on his way home. Dive in behind him, and then spray. You can retain energy much better than he can, so don't be afraid to turn with him, if he tries that. If you're flying in a server that has a squad participating in it, I'd recommend that you keep your eyes peeled, otherwise you'll probably be bounced by one of his team-mates.

"Come on in, I'll treat you nice! I used to know your father."

tttiger
    I don't want to fight head-on, pls read the thread! I am asking for tactics to avoid, a fighter coming straight at me, same altitude.

Well as a rule I don`t do head-ons, although against the AI it`s now possible to survive them. Anyway, I just turn wide of him (left or right), and as he turns to me I`ll suddenly turn into him. He shouldn`t have the angle to hit me or I him, then it becomes a battle of who gets on whos tail. Can work for AI or human.
    Another tactic I might use is to let him come on, then suddenly dip below him, dive a bit and come up....
    SeaFireLIV...

Rajvosa's Avatar Banned
    You want to avoid a fighter comming at you, sam ealtitude? Change altitude, then. Dive, climb, but don't turn as you will present a heck of a target.

Personally, I'm not all that fond of head-ons. If i have to, I will play chicken, but I usually try anything not to find my self going face to face with the enemy. Like Stigler said, shoot them in the back, it's prettier so.

Regards,

Jasko

"I've already got a female to worry about. Her name is the Enterprise." - James T. Kirk

Tully__'s Avatar Global Moderator
    Unless you're an absolute sniper shot, I would strongly recommend avoiding head on contests. It's an excellent way to lose an engine or your virtual life.

=================================================

IL2 Forums Moderator
    Forum Terms of Use

Salut
    Tully

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►