I understand that there is the limitations of the Engine and such, But Will the PF Maps be Bigger than the FB ones? I think this is Important, because since alot of Navigation is going to be done by Dead Reckoning, We need more Navigational Points per map, which means more of it.

Would it be Possible for PF Maps to cover 2 or 3 times the size of FB ones? or even more? Bearing in mind this theatre was known as "bigger but flatter" than the ETO, I think It could be Quite important.

Also there is the Fact of things like The Battle of Midway, How can you get that historically accurate as to the location of the US and Japanese task Groups day by day on maps the size of the FB ones?

What you boys think?

I understand that there is the limitations of the Engine and such, But Will the PF Maps be Bigger than the FB ones? I think this is Important, because since alot of Navigation is going to be done by Dead Reckoning, We need more Navigational Points per map, which means more of it.

Would it be Possible for PF Maps to cover 2 or 3 times the size of FB ones? or even more? Bearing in mind this theatre was known as "bigger but flatter" than the ETO, I think It could be Quite important.

Also there is the Fact of things like The Battle of Midway, How can you get that historically accurate as to the location of the US and Japanese task Groups day by day on maps the size of the FB ones?

What you boys think?

SkyChimp's Avatar Senior Member
    Good question. The PTO dwarfed the ETO in area. I mean, the distance between Rabaul and Guadalcanal was about the same distance as 8th AF airbases in England and Berlin. And those were considered close for the PTO! So how do you model island chains as important as the Solomons? How do you model the New Guinea-Bismark Sea-Solomons area? Lay the Crimea map in this area and it looks like a spec.

Regards,

Yeah, they'd surely have to do maps of a larger area if they were going to do this Properly.

If I had my way It'd Just be one Huge map

heywooood's Avatar Senior Member
    one thing... when you fly off the existing maps in FB - whether over water or land... the land/water goes on and on...forever, no?

So in PF maps, won't the same be true... so even though you cant place objects outside the map area, you can still fly there...so if waypoint paths could be left 'open ended' or if you could name a waypoint 'continue on this heading' (it could work for ships and planes) that would work to increase ocean area around the maps...yes? And since the open ocean is featureless and weather is not dynamic in PF.. you could fly off the map in pursuit of the enemy and then call for vector to base or dead reckon back to the map area... yes?

"Check your guns"

yes, that could work, untill you fly for 100 miles without seeing that Island 50 miles off the map yes?

heywooood's Avatar Senior Member
    Well... theres always the risk of death..buzkiller.

Ofcourse that is correct, but this is a sim, and my idea is only a work around to a possible restriction of the game engine as it is now... better than nothing, no?

"Check your guns"

Heywoood, together we're genious's

Wouldn't it be better if say four islands in a chain going North East sorrounded by thousands of square miles of ocean, were Mapped into a Map going on a Diagonal just wide enough to fit the Islands in, then they needn't do the Ocean in the map as such, as long as units could still be told to fly over it, Sail through it etc etc.

Yes?

sapre's Avatar Senior Member
    is it possible to model taht when you reach the end of the map, the next map will be loaded?
    for example, when you reach the eastern end of the Crimea, the Kuban map will be loaded?
    ofcourse all other mission objects will be loaded olso.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heywooood:
    one thing... when you fly off the existing maps in FB - whether over water or land... the land/water goes on and on...forever, no?

So in PF maps, won't the same be true... so even though you cant place objects outside the map area, you can still fly there...so if waypoint paths could be left 'open ended' or if you could name a waypoint 'continue on this heading' (it could work for ships and planes) that would work to increase ocean area around the maps...yes? And since the open ocean is featureless and weather is not dynamic in PF.. you could fly off the map in pursuit of the enemy and then call for vector to base or dead reckon back to the map area... yes?

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/...od/ac_32_1.jpg
    "Check your guns"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, but you CAN place objects off the map area!

We've been fighting the North Africa portion of Iron Skies Malta using the OnlineMT map and placing our objects up to 100km off the map edges. In fact, it was 180km from the Italian airbase to the British airbase our last Africa mission, with ground targets to be found 100km south of the shoreline.

onlineMT map is only 50km by 50km.

So the only thing you'd need to expand a smaller map to cover the whole Solomons area would be the Objects needed to create the islands. Right now we have that big Mountain object. We would also need other objects to make the islands ourselves with. Then we could place them wherever we wanted to off the map.

We'd also need to be able to place objects upon objects if we wanted any stuff on these islands. But Harbors would be a sinch if we had the ability to build the islands.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►