LatinaC09's Avatar Member

The Assassin's Creed Movie Arrives in 2016!

Hey all, I haven't seen any recent threads on this so I decided to make a new one! According to this article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...ion-cotillard/ the AC movie is definitely in the works and has begun production. The release date is December 21, 2016. The author also goes into detail about the possible pros and cons of an AC movie. It seems like the movie could go either way, good or bad with little room for a medium. I'm not really sure I agree fully, it all really just depends.

Now here's a question I wanted to ask you guys about this movie: do you think that it should take place over several historic periods or just one? I'm kind of leaning towards more than one simply for the fact that we will get to see more history (which I always love). On the other hand the movie may be better quality if they only have to concentrate on one specific setting. What do you guys think?

Democrito_71's Avatar Member
    I prefer if the Movie only visited one setting for each movie. Otherwise it would be quite messy if there were several settings in one single movie imo. For example if New Regency & Ubisoft are basing the movies of the old games settings like the third crusade- middle east, the renaissance Italy plus Colonial america during the American Revolution in one movie alone it would be very confusing story wise, so one setting for each movie is better than several settings in one movie imo. And the movie also need a modern day that's interesting and a story that progress compared to Unity

SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    Just one location and era, for the first movie at least. Sequels are usually the ones that take the show on the road, so to speak.

Sorrosyss's Avatar Senior Member
    Mmm. I thought it was confirmed that it was set in 15th Century Spain during the Inquisition? Perhaps it was just a rumour, I don't recall.

I just hope they treat the IP with respect. No altering the Brotherhood or Abstergo logos for example. They are too iconic. I never get why some things are changed, often for the worse, from source material in Hollywood. Too many execs making creative decisions I guess.

Well the problem is simply medium. The video game medium (and books) allows for all kinds of complicated lore and backstory that a movie does not allow at all. Even 8 Harry Potter movies misses out a lot of the more interesting elements in the background. So when they make an AC movie they have to choose to make it about 1. Conspiracy Stuff 2. History Stuff 3. First Civ Stuff, 4. MD Stuff.

Ideally what they should go for is make the first AC movie realistic and dial down the craziness (no pieces of Eden and either remove Eagle Vision or make it more subtle). Go back to the Crusades and show us who the Assassins and Templars are, delicately introduce the MD background and pretty much follow the structure of the first game (if not the same plot and characters). Also if they are making it a movie, the Assassins blending in the crowd can't be like how it is in the games, there's no way audiences will follow that.

From the way Fassbender talks, it sounds like he was more interested in the genetic memory concept. That's cool but I don't think that is really the main part of the games.

Eagle Vision could definitely be removed. It's a very game-y concept that doesn't really serve a purpose in a movie.

ze_topazio's Avatar Senior Member
    Could be easily show in a scene or two, like when they show night and thermal vision and other similar things in movies.

Originally Posted by ze_topazio Go to original post
    Could be easily show in a scene or two, like when they show night and thermal vision and other similar things in movies.
    But then they'd have to explain it ("why does this guy suddenly have heat vision?"), which would take up time that could be used for more important things.

ze_topazio's Avatar Senior Member
    Shouldn't take more than two minutes to explain that some people have a mysterious special vision.

It should focus on the modern day conspiracy first civ stuff... historical tourism is a hit in video games but I think people will want something more than just history in the movie...