Alphacos007's Avatar Senior Member

I really don't understand Rogue

Could someone explain it to me? Back when I played in on PS3 I tought I'd understand it all better when I played for the second time on PC, but it doesn't seem to be the case, so I'm recurring to you guys

OBVIOUSLY THERE ARE SPOILERS HERE, DON'T READ FURTHER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED.

So, first of all, the biggest question for me is about the end. Why did Otso send Shay's video to the Assassins? It makes no sense, if anything he is helping them by showing stuff that they didn't know about, like the anti-earthquake temples. But even weirder is the Assassin's reactions. "William Miles is Dead", "No he's not", "Every Cell, Hide!", "It's the great purge all over again", etc. Why the hell are they all panicking just because of a video they received? I seriously don't get it.

Second, when Shay is already a templar and chasing the Assassins, they plan all that distraction thing so that Achilles and Liam could get to the temple before he got to them. But why the hell distract him instead of simply killing him? And even if they decided just to distract him, why tell him it was a distraction? I mean, they had plenty of opportunity to kill him but didn't, Hope had he on her arms, all she had to do was expand the hidden blade and he would be dead. Instead, she gave him poison and let him escape. And then later when he finally gets to the Chevalier (I'm not sure how to write it), why does he tell Shay that it was a distraction? If he didn't, Shay would have got to a dead end, at least for a while untill he managed to find where Achilles and Liam went. And why have a map showing the actual location that Achilles was going? It's like they wanted Shay to find them.

Third, why do the Assassins act as a Mafia? In the very beginning they talk all about how they are up for freedom and free-will, but then when Shay is at the family house recovering from his wounds, Assassins get in the house and try to beat up the old guys (sorry, I really don't remember their names) because they wouldn't pay for protection. What?
    Also, aren't Assassins supposed to be secretive and all? Why are they all over the place with forts and huge flags showing everyone about their presence?

Then, if the Assassins wanted Shay dead so much, why didn't they even bother to check if Shay was actually dead after the fall? And all that chase was because of the manuscript that Shay was going away with, but after Shay supposedly dies, they don't bother to go down to get it from his body, instead leaving it there so that the Templars could find it.

And last but not least, why is Shay so agressive against Achilles when he comes back from Lisbon? I mean, it's not like Achilles destroyed the whole city in purpose, he didn't know that such thing would happen. If you listen to the conversation between Achilles and Adewale in the beginning, Adewale says that someone couldn't complete the mission because an earthquake striked right while his mission was in progress. After Lisbon it's obvious that the Temples are the ones doing it, but before that no one could know what would happen. If Shay had talked with Achilles for 10 minutes before going all traitor, I'm sure they would have agreed in beeing more carefull and everything would have ended there.

I actually had more questions but they don't come to my head right now. I'll post more here if I remember anything else.
    Thanks in advance to whoever takes the time to read/answer this thread!

ze_topazio's Avatar Senior Member
    Otso is a delusional fool

Considering Shay was kicking butt left and right the best they could hope for was distracting him.
    Hope had a weak spot for him.

The Assassins don't act like the mafia, Hope acted like the mafia.
    The philosophy of hiding in plain sight taken to the letter.

We don't know if they checked or not, Shay lost his conscience, next time he opened his eyes he's in New York.

Shay was traumatized by the event and feeling guilty of killing thousands, probably in a sub-conscientious attempt to cope he blamed Achilles instead.

pirate1802's Avatar AC Expert
    It's not the Assassins who are acting like mafia. Remember the mercenaries from AC2-B whom the men in hoods employ to do their dirty work? Yes it is they who act like mafia. Both sides hire people to do their bidding, they did. But it always perturbed my how even the assassin's hired guns smelled like roses. AC IV/Ro set that right.

Shahkulu101's Avatar Senior Member
    Don't dare question Rogue or the Templars, lest you be called an intellectual lightweight who only enjoys cartoony, black and white stories.

Third, why do the Assassins act as a Mafia? In the very beginning they talk all about how they are up for freedom and free-will, but then when Shay is at the family house recovering from his wounds, Assassins get in the house and try to beat up the old guys (sorry, I really don't remember their names) because they wouldn't pay for protection. What?
    Out of curiosity, do you think that the money that Ezio received for all the ships he owned in Rome and Constantinople was out of respect? It was protection money, essentially. And people like the mercenaries, thieves or courtesans that we constantly used could theoretically get out of hand sometimes (heck, they did, in ACB we dealed with traitors and whatnot).

Also, aren't Assassins supposed to be secretive and all? Why are they all over the place with forts and huge flags showing everyone about their presence?
    'Too much power' thing, I guess. I mean, Assassins aren't always secretive - AC1, ACR are good examples of where they're not secretive at all. ACB they may not have flags everywhere, but they sure like to yell 'Vittoria Agli Assassini'

wvstolzing's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Farlander1991 Go to original post
    but they sure like to yell 'Vittoria Agli Assassini'
    ... that was their Power Rangers-period. Every secret society goes through it; something like adolescence.

Alphacos007's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Farlander1991 Go to original post
    Out of curiosity, do you think that the money that Ezio received for all the ships he owned in Rome and Constantinople was out of respect? It was protection money, essentially.
    I get your point, but one thing is receiving money for actually protecting someone, the other one is asking money not to beat them up, that was my question :P

Markaccus's Avatar Senior Member
    I thought rogue was pretty much a non-event. I was planning on finishing it and doing a fair bit of the side stuff before getting the ps4, but it just failed to keep me interested. I am one of AC3s detracters, because i find it dull and boring, but i think Rogue is close to being the same. Not ubi's finest hour imo.

Otso's reaction to Shay's history literally makes no sense, nor does the reaction of the modern day assassin's to receiving the video. In terms of the latter, the only thing I can think of is that they were panicking because he was able to contact them so easily at all. For the former, the lesson Otso seems to take from Shay's life is that the Templar way is automatically better than that of the Assassin's, that the Assassin's are powerless, and that even an Assassin will choose the path of the Templar's in the end when given the choice. The first and second have quite simply been challenged and proven wrong again and again over the course of centuries now, with all these games, and considering that he's working in the department that has access to the true history of the games, and then warps them for public propaganda, i'm not sure why he'd think that exactly beyond delusions. The final point then falls flat, because Shay didn't choose the Templars. He was forced to go to them when the Assassin's (And note this is just one group of Assassins, that even at the time of Rogue had many others to be compared to) refused to listen to him about the Temples. Furthermore, it only worked out in the end because one Templar in particular chose not to kill Shay, showing him kindness when his friends had turned against him and tried to kill him. They then actually bothered to listen to him as well, making the thought of joining them in order to prevent another terrible event that much more attractive. It really had nothing to do with Assassin or Templar beliefs at all.

Sorry for the rant, but that ending conclusion to the game just made no sense whatsoever to me on the parts of anyone involved. Beyond that I loved the game. Though I also agree with you, OP, on the confrontation between Shay and Achilles. I just finished played it a second time and that really doesn't make any sense for either character. Shay barges in angry and yelling at Achilles, blaming him for making Shay kill thousands, when that's clearly not what he wanted to do. Achilles told him up front that it was to retrieve an artifact, not to cause a catastophe. The fact that the mission led to that then makes it clear that it was soemthing other than what Achilles thought it was. Him being in a state of shock and lashing out is the only way his assumption makes sense. What I wondered was why he then felt the need to instantly act right away and try to steal the manuscript from Achilles, instead of trying to talk things out. Achilles was wrong, we can agree, and he admits it in the end, but barging in, ranting like a madman obviously wasn't going to convince him that you (Shay) knew what you were talking about. Had Shay actually calmed down, and explained everything that happened in detail, and that the manuscript didn't lead to Pieces of Eden, but Temples that could trigger quakes i'm fairly certain the entire events of the game could have been avoided. In turn though, Achilles telling Shay that he was flat out wrong also didn't help matters, or make much sense. He knew about an earthquake that had happened already, and another just occured, both involved Assassins searching for artifacts. Maybe, just maybe there's a connection?

Originally Posted by Alphacos007 Go to original post
    I get your point, but one thing is receiving money for actually protecting someone, the other one is asking money not to beat them up, that was my question :P
    Isn't that what we did as Ezio? Either you're with us and paying money, or you're not with us which means you're with the Borgia (even if you're not) and we're beating you up Okay, that's a purposeful exaggeration, don't take it too seriously.

But the point is, we're dealing with criminal elements here. There's going to be bad apples. We've dealt with them in ACB, for example. When Hope talks about her people in New York, it's about scouting, information, weapons development (just like Leonardo ) etc. for her, removing authorities, and probably people protection as well (i.e. pretty much like it is with Ezio), but she doesn't look after each of her men to make sure they don't do anything stupid, just like we as Ezio don't really do that with ACB.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►