SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member

Favorite unsolved mystery

I was just listening to the Twitch stream where RinoTheBouncer appeared (nice job, man!) and one of the questions he was asked was "what is your favorite unsolved mystery in the AC games?" which I thought was an interesting question.

So what is yours? Is there a plothole that was never satisfactorily explained in your opinion, or just an intriguing plot thread that was started but never went anywhere? What mystery do you wish the devs would someday return to address?

I for one was never satisfied with the handling of Subject 16 and how his mysterious ramblings about "the Sun, your son" in ACB were later handwaved away as totally irrelevant.

But even that at least was somewhat addressed by devs, if only to say "16 was just crazy". If there's one missed opportunity that I still mourn, it's all the stuff in the now defunct Facebook game, Project Legacy. I was always fascinated by Consus, the "erudite god" who only appeared to Giovanni Borgia and who seemed determined to keep himself hidden from everyone else. Who was he? Why did he communicate with Giovanni who was only a child at the time? Why the secrecy? What connection did he have with the Apple?

There was other interesting stuff in PL too, about the Philosopher's Stone, the Shroud etc. I think it even introduced Crystal Skulls years before they appeared in AC4. I wanted to know more about what became of Giovanni and other characters referenced in PL. Then there was modern day stuff like some Abstergo employee who was smuggling secret plans out of the company and got drugged and kidnapped, presumably by the assassins. And all the smaller detours into different eras like the assassin and Templar soldiers who met during World War I and made truce for one night on Christmas. I want to know about all these people more than I want to know about whatever happened to Arno or Connor after their games ended.

Namikaze_17's Avatar Senior Member
    How in the hell did Connor walk for hours with that huge wound on his gut before killing lee?

Not to mention killing him and walking out to most likely walk back to the homestead.

From a realistic standpoint, Connor should've passed out or died.

Originally Posted by Namikaze_17 Go to original post
    How in the hell did Connor walk for hours with that huge wound on his gut before killing lee?

Not to mention killing him and walking out to most likely walk back to the homestead.

From a realistic standpoint, Connor should've passed out or died.
    Didn't he pass out a couple of times?

Originally Posted by SixKeys Go to original post
    Didn't he pass out a couple of times?
    Not really IIRC.

He was out for a few minutes before getting up.

But that's it.

Precursor DNA.

Fatal-Feit's Avatar Senior Member
    Spoilers are obvious, right? I want to know more about Arno's parents. Specifically Bellec and Charles' relationship and story prior to Unity. It's apparent they were part of the same Brotherhood and were close friends, but I want to know more. Marie was the first of Arno's many abandonment and it was because Charles had ties to the Brotherhood. Was it because she couldn't stomach Charles being a serial killer or was she against what the Assassins stood for? And why leave Arno with him?

These aren't exactly an unsolved mystery (and I apologize for that), but it's something that intrigues the hell out of me. There's a lot of novel potential, IMO. I'd actually take it over a Rogue novel.

One of my favorite little details in Unity is when you can find the "progress report" written by Bellec. I can't remember if it's about Arno or his dad, but I love how the description says it's written by someone who's obviously not accustomed to writing and all it says is: "Here's your ******* progress report: recruit Dorian is showing progress".

Precursor DNA.
    Wish I had that.

What mystery do you wish the devs would someday return to address?
    Well, my key mystery is who passed over the script of UNITY and thought it would make a good game since it pretty much destroys the overall series metaphor in eighty different ways and the Franchise can only really progress by pretending it didn't happen.

On a general note, I wish the game would clarify whether or not George Washington actually burnt down Connor's village, and what exactly was Charles Lee doing there on the village that day (since Haytham had told him to stop looking for Precursor artefacts supposedly)? This plot point was never really dealt with properly in AC3 and strikes me as obviously a last-minute slapdash change since its dropped once and never addressed again, and historically Washington was retired from commission around that time.

The other mysteries are more in terms of background and writing, like how the story decisions of AC1-AC3 progressed and developed and what were the original ideas for UNITY since the promotional trailers (generally pro-Revolutionary) showed a game vastly different from the one (right-wing propaganda) we ended up getting. Darby McDevitt has so far acquitted himself well in this regards but he's the exception to the rule, but then everyone was better than the UNITY team who are so ashamed of their product that they don't do post-game interviews and Q&A.

I for one was never satisfied with the handling of Subject 16 and how his mysterious ramblings about "the Sun, your son" in ACB were later handwaved away as totally irrelevant.
    Darby McDevitt explained this in BLACK FLAG where Desmond states that Subject 16 saw "calculations" alternate possibilities and couldn't tell which was an alternate future, a real past, and his present. I think generally they put it there to keep themselves a little free in case they decide to do something that contradicts stuff that Subject 16 showed and told was "The truth".

Xangr8's Avatar Member
    The greatest plotholes? The first thing that comes into my mind is The Truth in AC Brotherhood.

EDIT: And the greatest plothole in the entire series is how did Shaun's hair turn black from red in Black Flag? Can his hair change colour!? *gasps*

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last ►►