JG26Red's Avatar Senior Member
    watching the 60s movie... pretty good movie, but i think they messed up in a part... they show a german bomber making a mistake and dropping bombs on london... that is the popular belief... but i have read before, cant remember, but the brtish did a raid and bombed hamburg? and the german attack was a retaliation and it went on from there... which is the real story?

JG26Red's Avatar Senior Member
    watching the 60s movie... pretty good movie, but i think they messed up in a part... they show a german bomber making a mistake and dropping bombs on london... that is the popular belief... but i have read before, cant remember, but the brtish did a raid and bombed hamburg? and the german attack was a retaliation and it went on from there... which is the real story?

heywooood's Avatar Senior Member
    Hitler told Goering at the outset of the Battle that he, Hitler, had sole authority to order the bombing of London... Hermann however told his bomber groups that he had the authority.. The Spitfire factory and the docks at Southampton were targeted by Goering with the understanding that any "overdrops or unders" were just fine by him.. in fact - when the Luftwaffe changed targets from sector airfields to factorys and dockyards the Battle was lost. BTW after the first reports of bombs falling on London,Hitler summoned Goering back to Berlin for a heart to heart discussion.
    Adolf was persuaded by Hermann to let him continue the London attacks -"Der Dicke"was very persuasive with Hitler, who was said to be uncomfortable making decisions about the aerial aspects of warfare. He in fact left vital decisions to Goering that cost Germany the war... which is a good thing.