Franzen's Avatar Senior Member
    I recently watched a documentary where a couple of WW2 P-51 pilots mentioned that the P-51 handle much better when they burnt off there fuselage tank(I think it was)before enetering combat. They claimed that if you went into combat with a full tank and tried to turn sharp the plane would almost flip end for end. When we first got the patch with the P-51 I flew it but didn't like it because it would stall to easily in certain turns. After seeing this documentary I reduced my fuel by 50% and it seemed to fly better and stall less. Is this just my imagination?

Fritz Franzen

I recently watched a documentary where a couple of WW2 P-51 pilots mentioned that the P-51 handle much better when they burnt off there fuselage tank(I think it was)before enetering combat. They claimed that if you went into combat with a full tank and tried to turn sharp the plane would almost flip end for end. When we first got the patch with the P-51 I flew it but didn't like it because it would stall to easily in certain turns. After seeing this documentary I reduced my fuel by 50% and it seemed to fly better and stall less. Is this just my imagination?

Fritz Franzen

rfa0's Avatar Junior Member
    Every plane will handle better with 50% fuel compared to 100% fuel. On a plane with a big fuel capacity like the P-51 it's even more pronounced. So the handling difference you notice doesn't necessarily prove that the full-fuel instability of the P-51 is modeled in FB.

So it is generally modelled in FB, cool. Now I understand La tactics; half a cup of fuel to go along with the ammo capacity Thx for the info.

Fritz Franzen

You may even want to just use 25% fuel for the P-51. Even less prone to stalling. As long as you dont fly around at 3200 combat RPM and 100% power all the time it should last long enough for you to use up most of your amo and still have lots of fule to get you home.

I usualy just keep rad at 2, 3000RPM and 95% power. Once i get to altitude my engine is still rather cool. The i just reduce my RPM down to 2700 wich is about cruze RPM i think and set power to 75% and look for victoms.

1st Lut. 361stMapleTiger.

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    In a dogfight room and lots of tactical missions...25% fuel is enough for the duration of the mission and then some. It rolls, manuvers, and generally performs much better here.

All planes do, but some you can't afford to have at such a low percentage.

The New IL2 Database is Coming Soon!

MandMs's Avatar Banned
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Franzen:

Fritz Franzen<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When the P-51 had the aft position fuselage tank full, the P-51 had a rearward positioned CG. The Spitfire was simular with its rear fuselage tank. The CG did not get to respectable position until around 50%(preferably less) of the tank was gone. With the fuselage tank empty, the P-51 still had ~68% of its internal fuel load.

with 100% fuel the Mustang WILL NOT reach its top speed of 700 km/h

this should be looked into as top speeds should be reached with full ammo & fuel

MrMig's Avatar Junior Member
    Anyone knows how fuel amount affects firing stability? Was it a problem in RL? And if so is it modeled in fb?

thanx

There is something else about the P51d in the game. When you take on fuel it will go in the rear tank first!! With 25% its all in the rear tank, with 50% the rear tanks is full and there is some in the wingtanks. This is very weird because we all know the P51 becomes very unstable with the rear tank filled. Pilots also where instructed to empty the rear tank first! I hope this will be fixed in the Ace expasion pack.