Cassandra barracks - What should i change?

Question is in title and here is the deck http://mmdoc.cardgamerobot.com/deck/621/ .

I can't win vs crippling necros(i hate them), stronghold(omg...) and sometimes vs inferno. Are inferno, stronghold and necro counter to haven? If yes I have bad luck to choosing not the best 'picks'. I bet stronghold, inferno and necropolis are the current meta in this game.

At this moment i don't have more Constructions and Storm Rage.

Maybe my deck is good but i am a bad player and i don't play in correct way with these cards. I have been playing in DoC since last friday and i have level 9l at this moment.

Which packs should i buy? What is more important at this moment - to get good events or Storm Rage and Constructions?

Maybe someone could play with me few 'friendly matches' so i will improve with my 'skill' a bit.

I hope you will help me.

Before the introduction of Construction, I couldn't win using Cass barracks consistently. So my only advice is to include more Constructions when available.

I can certainly play some friendly matches with you. My IGN is Mernix.

I am done . Is it possible to win with this deck vs crippling Anastasya? I am trying hard but it is stupid that this hero can counter all of my creaturers easily.

I am looking for someone that would help me learn and improve to play against hard decks like this necro crippling funny deck.

Originally Posted by Nerys_Q Go to original post
    I am done . Is it possible to win with this deck vs crippling Anastasya? I am trying hard but it is ******ed that this hero can counter all of my creaturers easily.
    Actually Barracks shouldn't care about her crippling. Later in game every turn you're able to gain much more damage than she can take away from you. You just need to be patient and use your Blinding Light/Zephyria when you can strike hard. Don't care about non-Rax creatures dealing 0 dmg - you don't really need them. Save your Bridges to bounce them back and redeploy them to stack Rax even more. Always attack with 0 attack creatures with no immune to retaliation: it's great to kill them to make more space for stacking. Cleansing Priestess and Anael will do the rest against counters (in fact, I don't think that they fit to Rax strategy too much, but that's matter of personal preferences).

I wouldn't play Day of Sanctuary: it works against Zephyria, Anael, Blinding Light (Cleansing Light destroys your Blinding Lights, btw, are you sure about playing it?) And yeah, Constructions are sort of crucial, as it was said, more of them should help you a lot.

Originally Posted by Mernix Go to original post
    Before the introduction of Construction, I couldn't win using Cass barracks consistently. So my only advice is to include more Constructions when available.
    +1. It's safe to say Cass rax hinges on the ability to pump out 1 or 2 rax early to gain massive value from playing creatures. Without early rax, it's a struggle especially against slower decks. Against faster more (refined) aggro decks, drawing too many rax/construction early is actually a death sentence. But of course you get to mulligan so chances are you have no construction/rax or too many is quite rare. That said, add 4x construction ASAP imo. They are the core (other than the barracks themselves of course).

Originally Posted by Mekheri Go to original post
    Actually Barracks shouldn't care about her crippling. Later in game every turn you're able to gain much more damage than she can take away from you. You just need to be patient and use your Blinding Light/Zephyria when you can strike hard. Don't care about non-Rax creatures dealing 0 dmg - you don't really need them. Save your Bridges to bounce them back and redeploy them to stack Rax even more. Always attack with 0 attack creatures with no immune to retaliation: it's great to kill them to make more space for stacking. Cleansing Priestess and Anael will do the rest against counters (in fact, I don't think that they fit to Rax strategy too much, but that's matter of personal preferences).

I wouldn't play Day of Sanctuary: it works against Zephyria, Anael, Blinding Light (Cleansing Light destroys your Blinding Lights, btw, are you sure about playing it?) And yeah, Constructions are sort of crucial, as it was said, more of them should help you a lot.
    Listen to this man, he knows what he is talking about. Once you get 1 or 2 rax down, it is laughably easy to outpace cripple, especially Anastasya's hero power. He will literally just die trying to cripple your creatures. Dont forget (as Mekheri said) you can always suicide melee creatures (including tithe collector!) into creatures with retaliation to make space. I also see you already have altar of asha which is another useful tool to make space as well as open a lane at the same time.

On top of getting rid of cleansing light, I would suggest you to remove all sunblazes too. In all honestly, 2x storm rage 3x blinding light is actually quite sufficient, just play more creatures. My cass rax list plays 3 of each, and even then I still feel like my hand gets clogged with spells more often than not. If you want to make up for a lack of 1 storm rage, you could always play 3x broken bridge. I am personally not a fan of griffin legionnaires but to each his own.

To add to useful events: Day of sanctuary is indeed quite useless. Rise of the nethermancer, time of war, week of the elder races are all superior choices especially since they are proactive. IMO day of the sanctuary is mostly used to protect big creatures, which cass rax actually lacks (save a fat stack of human tokens) so you will rarely get any value out of it, and by the time you can (protecting a stack) you probably already won the game regardless. This is especially crucial when considering you almost always want to play on curve, or draw a card with hero power rather than waste 1 resource trying to protect a single creature (especially since cass rax boards tend to have multiple threats, meaning protecting one just means he would target another).

IMO cass rax has very few real counters. Mass rage (to a certain extent) can do quite well against cass, Nahla timelock (especially if you run griffin legionnaires) and stronghold with bloodsnake shamans are favoured. But even then, Cass can stand a good chance depending on how you built it.

http://mmdoc.cardgamerobot.com/deck/632/

This is my version, though I don't understand how to use the warding inquisitors yet. Should I start another thread, or is this the right place to post. Also, any comments welcome on both my build as well as Cass builds in general, given the higher percentage of inferno decks and fire magic being used.

Originally Posted by Bullroarer4 Go to original post
    http://mmdoc.cardgamerobot.com/deck/632/

This is my version, though I don't understand how to use the warding inquisitors yet. Should I start another thread, or is this the right place to post. Also, any comments welcome on both my build as well as Cass builds in general, given the higher percentage of inferno decks and fire magic being used.
    Should be fine to post here if it's ok with OP.

I have a few points of contention with your current build:

For sure:

- Week of the mercenaries is literally a 50/50 with 25 creatures and 25 non creatures in your deck. Week of the elder races then becomes better by default, so if you want to play damage boosting events just go for week of the elder races (all your creatures are human anyway other than anael and those commanders).

- Warding inquisitors are an absolute must. I've seen people play 4x to quite good success as well. They are integral to keeping your fragile board alive against removal and when tokens are allowed to constantly grow they just end the game on their own (every token deck poses this threat, but only Haven can really protect them well in standard). This is especially true with barracks tokens because they have retaliation, unlike their counterparts in necropolis and inferno. This means once they grow big enough they can't even be taken down or poked at by creatures. Recycling warding inquisitors is key to beating slower decks, while against tempo decks they will protect your board from removal if you are under pressure and need blockers. They are least valuable against very aggressive pure creature aggro (e.g. Kiril) but in general too valuable to not play in this type of deck.

- No revised tactics I think is a mistake. Dead drawing constructions hurt if you draw your barracks early and even if it's a one off you get to banish less useful early cards even if you draw it late.

Maybe;

- Crusader treasurer is an interesting card but I think for the current standard meta it's too slow. I'm assuming you cut tithe collectors and replaced them with this thinking they served a similar purpose (if you didn't then ignore me) but they are very different. The reason tithe is superior to the treasurers is because by simply playing them you open up yourself to the strong curve of turn 1 tithe turn 2 construction. Without tithes, starting on turn 1 you cannot pump out construction on turn 2 (if you are the starting player without dragon crystal) which IMO makes a huge difference. They also can be fodder for your revised tactics as well as serve as meat shields midgame or fuel for time of war.

- As much as I like angel commander, it feels out of place in this deck. With barracks on board, you generally want to be able to play creatures that will spawn tokens especially after a board wipe. Similarly, if you are under a lot of aggressive pressure you also want to be playing creatures which will replenish tokens when you use them to chump block. As I mentioned in an earlier post you are often posing multiple threat sources once you establish your barracks so angel commander's untargetable ability is kind of moot since the human tokens pose a bigger threat to your opponent. Generally overall not synergistic with a barracks deck.

- I think martyr loses value when you don't play 1 drops. Sure you can migrate a token and use it as fodder, but then you waste the attack damage. Things like crusader watchman if tagged and can't be healed of course are decent but you only have 3 in your deck and you have a decent amount of creature healing meaning more often than not they will be pretty valuable. On the same note, without small creatures like tithe/wolf trainer you will also kind of struggle to find an apt minion to sacrifice with altar of asha.

Cass raxx is a top tier deck in standard at the moment that doesn't have any autolosses I can think of. Its got a reasonable chance against any deck so you can safely assume if you're losing a lot to 3 of the 5 factions its play rather than deck.

As for the deck, I rock 4 construction, 4 barracks. You should certainly include 1 to 2 revised tactics as it will help your late game once you have a couple of barracks on board.

I use 8 1 drops, 8 2 drops. I use all humans. Don't even use anael as I haven't found him that useful. Time of need is good and I use 2 Horseshoes cos you don't want your late game to peter out.

6 spells should be enough or you can end up with inconsistent starts though 8 is acceptable if it plays better for you.

Tactics wise you should get barracks down fast! Get it down in shooter free lane. Pump it and make pressure.

Use blinding lights in barracks lane often is best.

Anyway its a very good deck. Better overall than any Anastasia deck.

BTW I have found elite squire to be amazing at protecting your stacks early game. I use 4 of them. Watchmen are junk imo.

Licker34's Avatar Senior Member
    Watchmen are just a 2drop back row drop, there are better cards, but that's the purpose they serve. Also if you are playing Healing Priest then Watchmen can become very annoying for some decks. But you have to consider your positioning better, meaning you basically have to play your back row barracks on an edge.

I'm sure you can be succesful with or without them. Much as Wolf Priest is sort of up to your preferred play style, and what kinds of decks you are facing a lot. Wolf priest is really good vs. inferNO rushers for example.