View Poll Results: Is nostalgia preventing each game from becoming a fans' favorite?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes,veterans will never get the unique feeling back.

    13 76.47%
  • No,the latest games feel equal/better than the first to me.

    4 23.53%
  1. #1

    New games and nostalgia debate

    Hi there

    As the title suggests,this thread's goal is to discuss whether nostalgia can prevent veterans of the series from truly enjoying the future installments,no matter how good they are.Before i present you my views on this topic,i would like to give my mini AC-History/Biography:I found out about AC from a friend of mine in summer 2011.The game he showed me was ACB.So,i bought ACB and i was truly fascinated by its world!It is my favourite game to date(even though realistically it is not) and it is no wonder why that it is the only game that i have completed every mission,and that Rome is my favourite AC city.So after that i got to play ACR and eventually all games of the series.But,every year the AC games feel less and less special,with a few exceptions like ACIV.

    The reason that led me to write this,is an AC2 video that i watched.I felt nostalgic,even though AC2 is by no means close to being my favourite AC.Hell,i even feel nostalgic for AC3 sometimes,even though i initially "hated" it!!In the meanwhile,in the "making of ACU" videos a developer says that"We want people to enjoy the fantasy of being an assassin again".I agree that ACU was the most assassiny game since AC1,but surely ACU felt like "more of the same",instead of:"OMG,it is like doing it for the first time!!!"So,why was i so amazed by ACB?Obviously it was my first AC and also one of my first action/open world games.But it wasn't just that.I fear i will never get that unique feeling back...Was it the beautiful ambient music?Was it Ezio?Was it Desmond and the overrarching MD narrative?

    He thing is that especially after AC3 everyone finds something to hate about the games."Connor's emotionless character" in AC3,"Pirate's Creed" in AC4,"Broken mechanics" in ACU....None gives these games a chance because they are stuck in the past.Some people judge the games before they are even out!Because in reality,Connor was not "emotionless", he was just different from Ezio.AC4 was not about the "Pirate's Creed",but in fact it was the most "Assassin's Creed " game since 2007.ACU may have had bugs,but it was the first game to focus and rebuild the core pillars after a very long time.

    On the other hand,Ubi also made mistakes.As i said,some games like ACU and AC3 were filled with bugs.Most importantly,though,they abandoned the MD overrarching narrative.Previously the reason why we relived Altair's,Ezio's and Connor's life was to help Desmond.Love or hate Desmond,his story gave a meaning to the series.Now,we are stupid initiates,resulting in self-contained stories,which may or may not turn out to be good.So,here is what is going to happen from now on(unless ubi changes strategy):Every year we will get a new game,with the self contained story of Arno,Samuel Fey etc,but overally the story won't progress at all.

    Anyway,maybe i have gone a little bit off-topic.I didn't express my thoughts as well as i wanted,but i hope you get the overall feeling.
    Are the veterans of the series doomed to find"cons" in the future game,no matter how good they are?Will a future game ever become the absolute favourite of the community,or are we stuck in the past?

    Or is it maybe that the previous games are in fact superior and that Ubi can never reach that level again?
    (I don't believe this is the case because ACIV is many fans' favourite)
    Share this post

  2. #2
    Well....kinda. I mean, not everyone's that nostalgic about the series yet (as it's not THAT old),but there still are basic symptoms of the whole 'when I was younger unicorns roamed the land and grass was greener and sky was bluer and everything was great' thing. So, yeah, it's a more local and smaller scale representation of 'they don't make good games/music/movies/books anymore' and 'the next generation sucks' thing (EVERY generation says the next generation sucks, fyi )
    Share this post

  3. #3
    SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    11,781
    I'm torn on this. ACU was the first game since ACB to really ignite my passion for the assassin fantasy again. ACB came out 5 years ago. Let that sink in. Unity is the first game in 5 years that feels like a "proper" AC game to me.

    I enjoyed AC4 for what it was, but I don't have particular desire to go back and replay it, at least not straight away. With the first three games in the series, I was replaying them all the time, because they gave me a feeling no other game could match. ACU isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it must have done something right to make me feel like finally, after 5 years, there was another entry that I really, truly enjoyed again. That feeling of awe at the graphics and detail, the sense of immersion, the open mission structure, the possibilities. The un-evenness of the story doesn't really bother me, I'm more of a gameplay person anyway, and the gameplay is a ton of fun.

    What the first three games had over all the others was modern day and a more precise parkour system. That's it. If the new games had the same precision in controls and a captivating overarching narrative - with a sense of direction actually leading up to something - I would consider them just as good as the old ones, maybe better. Problem is, those two elements were a crucial part of what got me into the series in the first place and now they're gone, replaced with stuff I don't care about. Ships are a fine distraction, but I want to climb buildings. Make climbing buildings fun again, instead of a chore. Initiates is the worst piece of corporate bullcrap in existence and I want no part of it. Just give me a game that works with missions I can replay a thousand times in different ways, and make it feel meaningful, not just a buggy pit stop on the way to the next annual release.

    TL;DR I can't pick an option because Unity proved to me that the feeling of the old games can be achieved, but I worry that with all the whining about difficulty and whatnot Ubi will scrap the things that worked in ACU and go back to the same dull formula of the past 5 years.
    Share this post

  4. #4
    Originally Posted by Farlander1991 Go to original post
    Well....kinda. I mean, not everyone's that nostalgic about the series yet (as it's not THAT old),but there still are basic symptoms of the whole 'when I was younger unicorns roamed the land and grass was greener and sky was bluer and everything was great' thing. So, yeah, it's a more local and smaller scale representation of 'they don't make good games/music/movies/books anymore' and 'the next generation sucks' thing (EVERY generation says the next generation sucks, fyi )
    Yeah i agree with you.
    Most people,especially outside of these forums,treat AC2 like "the best AC Eveeeeeeeeerrrrr!!!!".While,in reality it has some flaws.Its popularity derives drom being the second game of the franchise.If the same game was released today with updated gtaphics and maybe mechanics,it would not be so popular.

    Generally,i believe most fans,including me,will find flaws and try to undermine the future games,even if they are great
    Share this post

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by SixKeys Go to original post
    I'm torn on this. ACU was the first game since ACB to really ignite my passion for the assassin fantasy again. ACB came out 5 years ago. Let that sink in. Unity is the first game in 5 years that feels like a "proper" AC game to me.

    I enjoyed AC4 for what it was, but I don't have particular desire to go back and replay it, at least not straight away. With the first three games in the series, I was replaying them all the time, because they gave me a feeling no other game could match. ACU isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it must have done something right to make me feel like finally, after 5 years, there was another entry that I really, truly enjoyed again. That feeling of awe at the graphics and detail, the sense of immersion, the open mission structure, the possibilities. The un-evenness of the story doesn't really bother me, I'm more of a gameplay person anyway, and the gameplay is a ton of fun.

    What the first three games had over all the others was modern day and a more precise parkour system. That's it. If the new games had the same precision in controls and a captivating overarching narrative - with a sense of direction actually leading up to something - I would consider them just as good as the old ones, maybe better. Problem is, those two elements were a crucial part of what got me into the series in the first place and now they're gone, replaced with stuff I don't care about. Ships are a fine distraction, but I want to climb buildings. Make climbing buildings fun again, instead of a chore. Initiates is the worst piece of corporate bullcrap in existence and I want no part of it. Just give me a game that works with missions I can replay a thousand times in different ways, and make it feel meaningful, not just a buggy pit stop on the way to the next annual release.

    TL;DR I can't pick an option because Unity proved to me that the feeling of the old games can be achieved, but I worry that with all the whining about difficulty and whatnot Ubi will scrap the things that worked in ACU and go back to the same dull formula of the past 5 years.
    You make some good points here.Indeed ACU really improved on many aspects.But i didn't like the story that much,so...
    As for the climbing,i fear that the rumored grappling hook will make it even more automatic and easier than before
    And finally,i disagree with you on ACIV.It may have had a rural environment,but it featured maybe one of the best stories of the series(that explored the Creed),while also adding solid stealth mechanics
    Share this post

  6. #6
    The fact is with any Franchise, especially with an Annualized one like Assassin's Creed, nostalgia is not the problem since most people don't give the games a great deal of chance. Annualization is a problem mostly because of the tunnel vision of marketing and knee-jerk fan reactions enduring over reasoned and considered judgments over problems of the game.

    The point is that until AC3-AC4, I see every game bursting with ideas and ambitions. There are ebbs and flows in open-ness and gameplay, weak integration of features and mechanics yes, but the basic idea was that the games would try and introduce something really new to the games, either in storytelling, open-world, new features and whatnot. Now did all this work well, no. Sometimes, it bit off more than it chewed, a lot of times you can see it fell flat on their faces.

    But UNITY is the absolute pits and nadir. I don't see any inspiration, love, effort or care in this game. The game's much touted open-ness is not open-ness at all, but just poor mission design that is unworthy to be compared with AC1.
    Share this post

  7. #7
    SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    11,781
    Originally Posted by dimbismp Go to original post
    You make some good points here.Indeed ACU really improved on many aspects.But i didn't like the story that much,so...
    As for the climbing,i fear that the rumored grappling hook will make it even more automatic and easier than before
    And finally,i disagree with you on ACIV.It may have had a rural environment,but it featured maybe one of the best stories of the series(that explored the Creed),while also adding solid stealth mechanics
    I don't think we disagree on AC4 really. I agree that it has a pretty good story and the gameplay is even better. But I just don't have the same attachment to it as I do to the early games. I started a second replay of AC4 a while ago and I'm not even at the haflway point yet. I just don't have the drive to go back and play it endlessly like I did with the others. Unity at least has more potential to keep me coming back because there's still a ton of content to explore and co-op is fun. It's a shame there are so many (mostly technical) problems that prevent it from achieving true greatness. Even if the early games have flaws, they were at least fully playable.
    Share this post

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by VestigialLlama4 Go to original post
    The fact is with any Franchise, especially with an Annualized one like Assassin's Creed, nostalgia is not the problem since most people don't give the games a great deal of chance. Annualization is a problem mostly because of the tunnel vision of marketing and knee-jerk fan reactions enduring over reasoned and considered judgments over problems of the game.

    The point is that until AC3-AC4, I see every game bursting with ideas and ambitions. There are ebbs and flows in open-ness and gameplay, weak integration of features and mechanics yes, but the basic idea was that the games would try and introduce something really new to the games, either in storytelling, open-world, new features and whatnot. Now did all this work well, no. Sometimes, it bit off more than it chewed, a lot of times you can see it fell flat on their faces.

    But UNITY is the absolute pits and nadir. I don't see any inspiration, love, effort or care in this game. The game's much touted open-ness is not open-ness at all, but just poor mission design that is unworthy to be compared with AC1.
    Actually ACU was by far the best regarding mission design

    (Thanks locopells )
    Share this post

  9. #9
    Locopells's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,988
    Welcome.
    Share this post

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by dimbismp Go to original post
    Actually ACU was by far the best regarding mission design
    I have seen that stated as an article of faith, but I have yet to see a single defense for the levels outside of "It's not as linear as <INSERT TITLE> here". The truth is the gameplay of ACU is nothing unique or special. It's simply the basic gameplay adapted for the Next-Gen without any new improvements or additions. And unlike AC1, it has poor mission design to accomodate it. The one genuinely good level is the first one at Notre Dame/Sivert all the others are structured the same way of "four-ways to get past the door".

    In fact all I have heard in UNITY's defense is that "It's not as ---- as ----" I have not come across any thread where people discuss great levels or great moments, the way in AC3, people liked the Naval and the Bunker Hill assassination.
    Share this post

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►