Originally Posted by Tully__ Go to original post
    They were right on top of their decisions, but those decisions were made and the actions performed late on a Friday. Unfortunately this didn't give the PR people time to release prepare a statement before the weekend. The outcome of the investigations wasn't available until later on. The PR announcements were made at the earliest time that the PR contacts were able to confirm the information.
    And what was stopping them from leaving the keys active for an extra couple of days while their PR team put together a strategy for releasing the news? And then filtering that information directly to the people who were affected via email (linked to their uPlay accounts) and via uPlay itself? While Ubisoft may be in the right in revoking the keys, their handling of this situation has been nothing short of an absolute shambles.

I finally got a reply to my Support ticket where I explicitly asked about my activation key. It took Ubisoft's support a week to give me the same cut and pasted nonsense that's been posted here:

Hello,

We strongly recommend that players purchase keys and downloadable games only from the Uplay Store or their trusted retailers. We regularly work with our authorized resellers to identify and deactivate fraudulently obtained and resold keys. In this case, we confirmed activation keys were recently purchased from EA’s Origin store using fraudulent credit card information and then resold online. These keys may have been deactivated. Customers who may have been impacted should contact the vendor where they purchased the key for a refund.

I do apologise for what has happened and understand this is unfortunate.

Kind Regards,

Adam
    No direct answer actually specifying that my code was one of EA's fraudulently obtained ones and they tell me off about where I buy my keys from BEFORE answering the question I asked. Thanks for patronising me and not actually giving me a specific answer, Ubisoft.

Originally Posted by MicFo Go to original post
    I'm sure managers think all this will be going away, the clouds will move. And they will, here and elsewhere, on this particular event. But they won't for Ubi in general. Every time you guys put other games on the market I will be there, and many of us will, to remind everyone in every gaming forums on the planet what happened here this week.
    Yes, good! Reminders are great.

Remind everyone that if you take the gamble and go to one of these shady websites and buy a key that turns out to be stolen. It will likely be revoked. Regardless of who made the game.

In this case it just happened to be ubisoft. Next time you buy a stolen key it will probably be someone else.

If you buy a game from any company that turns out stolen, they will likely revoke it. Ubisoft is just the latest company to start doing this. Many were already doing it, and more will start. When you buy a stolen key, they get paid NOTHING. You didn't support them at all.

I too am looking forward to Witcher 3 (IMO the Witcher games are better than anything Ubisoft has ever made). Remind everyone when it comes out that if they purchase from a shady key seller site like G2A, CJs CDKeys, Kinguin, etc, that they are taking a risk of buying stolen keys. If that happens, CD Projekt Red will be well within their right to revoke the keys. I hope they do, because they make great games and deserve to be paid for them.

Originally Posted by stoker2015 Go to original post
    Suppose that a hacker with a stolen creditcard mislead a so called official reseller then Ubisoft will not revoke these keys wich then also are "stolen" ? Suddenly you are protected against fraudulent acting ? Come on this is by far a turn around world.
    Your wording isn't very clear. To be clear, these keys were stolen from an official seller, EA's Origin. Ubisoft was not paid for them.
    They keys are stolen property which rightfully belongs to the original owner.

If someone buys a car with a stolen credit card, then sells it to me. If it gets reported and found in my possession, I don't get to keep it.

Ubisoft takes no responsibility at all and leaves thousands of players in the cold. If they really mean business to stop this fraudelent way of trading then they would start a law suit against all so called shady key sellers. !
    Ubisoft isn't responsible for selling you stolen keys. You went to a shady site with a known history of selling stolen keys, then are suddenly surprised when "OMG! They sold me a stolen key too!"

They may start a law suit too, but in the mean time, they need recover their stolen property, as anyone would in their situation.

But no. Every sold key is a player and a customer for Ubisoft with the chance to sell more and more. You call them shady sellers; Ubisoft treats them as a silent partner. The more business for them the more people are binding with Ubi accounts. And when the **** hits the fan..................bye bye individual buyer; no rights no support. Ubisoft is then deaf and blind. Its high time that Ubisoft takes this very seriously and takes steps to protect buyers of good taith.
    No, when you buy property stolen from a business, you are not that business' customer. NONE of your money went to ubisoft. They got zero business, and if they let you keep the key then they encourage you this to happen more in the future and lose even more business.

These keys were sold to you in bad faith by your key seller.

Why not more contracts with resellers and publish a list of them ?
    These sites COULD become official sellers if they wanted to, but they CHOOSE not to. They choose to operate in the gray and black markets dealing with keys obtained from third parties, some of which are thieves.

I do agree publishing a list of official sellers would be a good idea. I gave a starter list earlier in this thread.

It is now a totally shady world with dozens of resellers and Ubisoft playing the innocent party. High time for more action Ubisoft
    Yes, Ubisoft was the innocent party when games were stolen from them and sold.
    Just like Rebellion was the innocent party when Sniper Elite 3 keys were stolen and sold.
    Just like Unknown Worlds was the innocent party when Natural Selection 2 keys were stolen and sold.
    Just like Activision was the innocent party when Modern Warfare 3 copies were stolen and sold.
    etc etc

If I steal your car and sell it, you are the innocent party. Should you be forced to let the buyer keep your car?

The best way to protect yourself and support game developers is to purchase from legit retailers.

KmarkoPL's Avatar Banned
    I just got shocked !!
    Few days ago I got Season Pass banned , I got it from G2play
    Today am starting the game , and what I see, reactivated Season Pass .
    Any one got some thing like that ??

My far cry 4 copy was banned at the time and just showed up again in Uplay. Anyone else got this?

Originally Posted by uau40 Go to original post
    My far cry 4 copy was banned at the time and just showed up again in Uplay. Anyone else got this?
    Yep,
    just had the same with mine as well.

Tully or Mr_shade or anyone from Ubi has a comment on the reactivation???

Mine also seems to be reactivated.

Ubi-Kay's Avatar Community Manager
    Hello everyone.

After further investigation into the matter of keys that were fraudulently purchased on EA's Origin store, we are reinstating keys for consumers who already had successfully activated and started playing the games. Any remaining fraudulently obtained and resold keys have been deactivated.

We are working with EA to prevent situations like this from happening again, and we will continue to deactivate keys that are found to be fraudulently obtained and resold. We strongly recommend that players purchase keys and downloadable games only from the Uplay shop or trusted retailers.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by Ubi-Kay Go to original post
    Hello everyone.

After further investigation into the matter of keys that were fraudulently purchased on EA's Origin store, we are reinstating keys for consumers who already had successfully activated and started playing the games. Any remaining fraudulently obtained and resold keys have been deactivated.

We are working with EA to prevent situations like this from happening again, and we will continue to deactivate keys that are found to be fraudulently obtained and resold. We strongly recommend that players purchase keys and downloadable games only from the Uplay shop or trusted retailers.

Thank you.
    Dear Ubi-Kay,
    I find this move very honorable from Ubisoft and a great commercial gesture.
    Thank you for this, it gives me hope (a little bit) in a gaming industry that cares about its customers.

Dear all that were on "this" side of the story, thank you for spreading the word,
    I hope our voices helped them reaching this decision.

Originally Posted by slump3r Go to original post
    Dear Ubi-Kay,
    I find this move very honorable from Ubisoft and a great commercial gesture.
    Thank you for this, it gives me hope (a little bit) in a gaming industry that cares about its customers.

Dear all that were on "this" side of the story, thank you for spreading the word,
    I hope our voices helped them reaching this decision.
    Hey Slumper you were one of the more civil people on this thread so I am glad you got game key back. I guess Ubisoft isn't quite as evil as people wanted to make them out to be, giving thousands of people "free" games despite Ubi not seeing a penny of the money.

My only hope is that awareness of this issue will help discourage people form using these shady resellers in the future, largely because it really hurts the smaller indie devs who can't afford to absorb the loss from stolen keys like Ubi can. I also hope people don't fault any publisher who takes this action to protect themselves, like Devolver Digital, Unknown Worlds, etc have had to do, because it is their right to recover stolen property, even if in this case Ubi decided to be generous.