PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Dead Kings

similarly
01-22-2015, 03:11 AM
For the most part, I enjoyed Dead Kings. I liked the map. I felt it had the right number of chests, and was satisfied with the missions.

However, I have a few problems.

1. Other weather would be nice. It's ALWAYS gray and cloudy. It would be nice it, once the main campaign is finished, it could be sunny once in a while. It's dreadfully depressing.
2. Ubi has indicated that Dead Kings is best played AFTER one has finished the main Unity Campaign. However, many of the missions give weapons that are completely useless at my current level. Why give us such weak weapons? I'm not talking about the guillotine guns, which are awesome, but rather about some of the other weapon rewards. It doesn't make sense.
3. I'm disappointed with the number of bugs in the game. The rooftop corners are a problem when free-running. Arno sometimes gets caught in a running-in-place loop. There are clipping issues, graphical glitches, some people appearing or disappearing out of nowhere. I know many people complained of these issues with the main game. I had very few problems with Unity, but Dead Kings is a different story.
4. Although I finished everything except the riddles, only the first and last guillotine guns have been unlocked, and I can't equip them. I filed a bug report, and the response was essentially "thanks for letting us know. We're aware of the problem."

Watching the ending credits, I was struck by how many managers and directors were on the team. With all those directors and managers, didn't anybody stop to QC this game before it went out? Maybe if Ubi had had fewer managers and directors, and more people actually WORKING, this game might not be so bugged.

Just my two bits.

Lignjoslav
01-22-2015, 03:58 AM
Dead Kings feel a bit different in several subtle ways.

One of the cool things about Unity was that enemies didn't respawn too soon. In Dead Kings, you make a loop in the underground tunnels and you'll encounter the same bunch of Raiders you killed minutes earlier.

The riddles (Nostradamus enigmas) in Unity made more sense. You were usually looking for a landmark, or if it was a generic object, it was within your sight. In Dead Kings, you may be sent to find a tree-stomp or some red house that's on the other side of the map. And everything being gray because of the lighting, the player probably never noticed the house was red (I haven't).

Everything being gray also makes smaller and sometimes not so small objects easy to overlook, even when you're staring at them.

I played the game with French spoken language and English subtitles (it suited me better than listening to British English in this settings). In Unity, all of the text was in English; in Dead Kings, some of the documents acquired during missions were in French, with no translation.

Reytime
01-22-2015, 03:59 AM
Just started it, seems nice. I love the setting, I like these misty ''autumn'' urban settings alot. Reminds me of Acre in AC1 which had some areas which I loved so dearly.

One thing tho, why does Dead Kings look so washed out? It almost feels like I'm playing on a lower resolution. I'm not using FXAA either, using MFAA/MSAA. Was this done to increase performance? It's not that bad, it does create objects in the distance to seem nicer, a bit more cinematic I'd say. Just wondering why they chose to do so.

Lignjoslav
01-22-2015, 04:09 AM
I think they wanted everything to look bleak for the sake of the atmosphere. It probably did look fairly bleak in the days depicted in Dead Kings.

Acre had a bluish-greenish tint. It was a bit gloomy. Oh, how I couldn't wait for the last district of the city to unlock, so that I could climb that beautiful Gothic cathedral! And I was endlessly sorry that I couldn't get inside. Still, probably my least dear city of Assassin's Creed.

similarly
01-22-2015, 06:15 AM
I don't mind the bleak look for the missions. It does create the mood. But I just felt AFTER the missions ...

Reytime
01-22-2015, 08:13 AM
After playing some more I can't help but think the blurry filter was put in because of downgraded textures, Paris looks much sharper and detailed.