PDA

View Full Version : DEV : Do you plan to address the really bad LOD's of NPC models ?

Pau1o88
01-21-2015, 06:10 PM
So I'm fully up to date with the all the Patches and whilst the frame rate has never really been an issue for me the LOD popping of all the NPC character models is terrible on the PS4.

I've seen models pop, change color and some even change shape so dramatically that it totally spoils my experience in the AC world.

If uploaded a short video for you to see exactly what I mean.

Watch the group of NPC character models over my right shoulder, you will see how one poor guy even has a hat then loses it. His coat changes color etc etc

VIDEO HERE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PHOzVQG5Zs)

JoeRogo76
01-21-2015, 06:53 PM
This is also one of my biggest pet-peeves with the game. It just looks awful. Unfortunately, Ubi support has been god-awful lately and it seems as though they might have jumped ship on the game in terms of support.
In all honesty, I think that they might just leave it as is at this point. After all the next Assassin's Creed game is less than a year away :p

bitebug2003
01-21-2015, 07:06 PM
LoD = Level of Detail

With buildings too (Dead Kings)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/Bitebug2003/AssassinsCreedregUnity_20150117010713_zps3e6a10e7. jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/Bitebug2003/AssassinsCreedregUnity_20150117010236_zps8e1cc14b. jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/Bitebug2003/AssassinsCreedregUnity_20150117013415_zps9a022dbd. jpg

Pau1o88
01-24-2015, 12:41 AM
That looks more like a streaming issue, but either way its still terrible and needs fixing.

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 12:44 AM
LoD = Level of Detail

With buildings too (Dead Kings)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/Bitebug2003/AssassinsCreedregUnity_20150117010713_zps3e6a10e7. jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/Bitebug2003/AssassinsCreedregUnity_20150117010236_zps8e1cc14b. jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/Bitebug2003/AssassinsCreedregUnity_20150117013415_zps9a022dbd. jpg

I had this happen to me too

DemonLord4lf
01-24-2015, 01:22 AM
In ubisoft's defense (cant believe i just said that) this is a brand new engine. You never know what its going to look like once you release it to the public. When you draw a picture or write a story, you know exactly what you want people to think, that doesn't mean people will think that way. Same thing applies for games. When you design a game you picture it being played a certain way, sorta like tunnel vision. Its really up to the QAs to find the problems. Who knows, maybe there were a lot of other issues that were much more severe that we'll never be aware of that took precedence over the graphic issues.

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 01:24 AM
In ubisoft's defense (cant believe i just said that) this is a brand new engine. You never know what its going to look like once you release it to the public. When you draw a picture or write a story, you know exactly what you want people to think, that doesn't mean people will think that way. Same thing applies for games. When you design a game you picture it being played a certain way, sorta like tunnel vision. Its really up to the QAs to find the problems. Who knows, maybe there were a lot of other issues that were much more severe that we'll never be aware of that took precedence over the graphic issues.

No excuse.

Other companies have to deal with new engines all the time.

DemonLord4lf
01-24-2015, 01:28 AM
No excuse.

Do you need a cookie?

Sorry, just looked at your avatar and it looks like he needs a cookie.

In all seriousness though, I do agree that other companies have to deal with the same thing. However, unlike other companies, Ubisoft loves to punish itself by making sure it has an AC released every year. I think 2 AC in one was far too ambitious. I do believe they should've just focused on one game instead of two. AC Rouge came out nicely, but could've been better. AC Unity just feels like they ran out of time. However, as i stated, there might have been more severe issues that we'll never know about that made fixing the graphics seem like a waste of time at the moment.

aL_____eX
01-24-2015, 01:28 AM
No excuse.

Glitches can always happen and textures popping in, NPC going nuts etc. That's no Ubisoft exclusive problem. The more complex an engine and game details get the higher the chance to experience some buggy moments.

edit: I'm not defending the messed up crowds btw. There's some work to do on it or they better cut them again for better performance.

JustPlainQuirky
01-24-2015, 01:31 AM
However, unlike other companies, Ubisoft loves to punish itself by making sure it has an AC released every year.

Poor time management is not an excuse for poor quality.

It just means they need to change their work ethic.

Glitches can always happen and textures popping in etc. That's no Ubisoft exclusive problem. The more complex an engine and game details get the higher the chance to experience some buggy moments.

Hence why they need to dedicate more time to polishing and such.

If there's more complexities, there needs to be more amount of touching up.

DemonLord4lf
01-24-2015, 01:32 AM
Poor time management is not an excuse for poor quality.

It just means they need to change their work ethic.

Exactly!!!

aL_____eX
01-24-2015, 01:52 AM

You can't erase every possibility of bugs in a game. There are so many random things happening at some points which sometimes get corrupt by doing a certain thing at a certain place for example. Most of the glitches are found randomly. That's no excuse for bad clipping (Unity has lots of this) and all this other stuff of course. You're right there, such things have to be polished.

Pau1o88
01-24-2015, 04:05 AM

You have to ask yourself how on earth the two issues listed here managed to get past QA and then the producers / Directors / Leads etc.

The crowd / LOD popping is everywhere and the Texture streaming is on the biggest building in the DLC !

How on earth did they not see this ?

DemonLord4lf
01-24-2015, 04:08 AM
You have to ask yourself how on earth the two issues listed here managed to get past QA and then the producers / Directors / Leads etc.

The crowd / LOD popping is everywhere and the Texture streaming is on the biggest building in the DLC !

How on earth did they not see this ?

I'm sure there is a reason, if the gamers will agree it was a good reason is a whole other issue.

Jackdaw951
01-25-2015, 05:06 PM
I had this happen to me too

Remote LOD on nearby building for me too. Very rarely, though. Yeah, it's most likely a streaming issue. The choices are freeze the action entirely until the proper LOD streams in, or let it get blurry while the disk I/O sorts itself out. I'll take the latter any day. It could also be a bug, but I've never had nearby buildings stay blurry indefinitely. (They've always filled in properly at some point.)

xPLAY3R1x
01-25-2015, 08:49 PM
From what I have read, this is a case of too many cooks spoiling the soup.

The execs want yearly releases which means no time for R&D or even QA testing anymore. A year sounds like a lot, but it's not considering games have to hit certain milestones as the year goes by and have the RTM ready to be shipped for disc printing a few months before that 12-month time table is up. Problem is most execs don't know game development from a hole in the ground and just think (like a lot of consumers) coding games is not that hard and it will be ready whenever they want it to be.

The devs are partially to blame because they, too, overreached with Unity because they had to know it would not run at a minimum of 30fps on current XB1 and PS4 hardware specs given, the amount of detail and NPCs on screen at any given time.

For once, Unity is a true PC game for AC. This is the only way to enjoy it maxed out graphically + above 30fps consistently, IMO. The AMD CPU and GPU just are not powerful enough in current consoles to keep up with the bandwidth and constant texture streaming needs of an open world game of this type. Remember, PS4 and XB1 are basically proprietary laptops that play strictly games and by definition they are going to have cheap and low-end mobile hardware as a rule.

Altair1789
01-25-2015, 09:32 PM
LOD/ Draw distance on buildings for PC is actually really bad

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/950438-Unity-s-Building-Texture-Draw-Distance-is-Woefully-Low

wickywoowoo
01-26-2015, 12:29 AM
I have not seen anything like that on my PS4 version. Yet again, I say I started my game after all patches were installed so my game save was after that to avoid confliction. I really wish Ubisoft would look at that as people installing patches then using a game save made before the patches existed seems an obvious conflict. I feel like I say it every post but it is in the hope someone at Ubisoft sees this.

mgg93
01-26-2015, 12:53 AM
As a matter of fact, right from the very early AC Unity days, the teleporting/morphing/disappearing people in Paris has been what bugs me the most about the game. Honestly, I would have been fine with the fps of Patch 2 if they had fixed the crowds. It's just a horrible immersion-breaker for me, just standing in a street and watching how a couple spawns right beside you, or how a lovely lady turns into a screaming man magically. I seriously hope the dev team doesn't give up on Unity and fixes this. If Unity stays like this, I'm not buying Victory, period. And I would hate not to buy it, I've been asking Victorian London for years.

Pau1o88
01-26-2015, 06:11 PM
LOD/ Draw distance on buildings for PC is actually really bad

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/950438-Unity-s-Building-Texture-Draw-Distance-is-Woefully-Low

Looks like this is infact an engine thing then not so much a console based problem.

I'll be honest that I've been a fan of AC since the very first installment but this version has been enough to put me off buying anymore.

joelsantos24
01-26-2015, 06:39 PM
Glitches can always happen and textures popping in, NPC going nuts etc. That's no Ubisoft exclusive problem. The more complex an engine and game details get the higher the chance to experience some buggy moments.

edit: I'm not defending the messed up crowds btw. There's some work to do on it or they better cut them again for better performance.
Yes, errors and glitches are always a possibility. That being said, it is unquestionable that, both the level and the amount of errors experienced in Unity, were in fact ubiquitous but in the time of the PS1. Everyone can agree that these sort of errors are just not usual, in this time and era, and that the game was simply not ready. That is it, period.

What troubles me the most, however, is that, since the release of the game and the chaotic period that followed right after, we have had nothing but a written statement from Ubisoft, excusing themselves for all that happened, and offering us a game for free. Not once, have we heard from any of the developers, approaching the problems we had been having. They actually preferred to release a fundamentally damaged game, rather than doing that which many producers had been doing all year long, to postpone the release dates and further develop the game. Fortunately, I have been one of the lucky ones, since I have only had one essential error (the one which causes Arno to get stuck on supposedly solid structures, like haystack wagons), but that does not erase the fact that the error list is indeed overwhelming.

Altair1789
01-26-2015, 09:56 PM
Looks like this is infact an engine thing then not so much a console based problem.

I'll be honest that I've been a fan of AC since the very first installment but this version has been enough to put me off buying anymore.

Yea, it's not due to my settings or specs. I know people who play on ultra with a really powerful PC but get the same results