PDA

View Full Version : Help with BnZ techniques: Please advise

MAstaKFC
05-18-2004, 07:00 AM
Hello guys, I'm a relative n00b at flight simming, and because of my current net connection, I'm limited to offline play. For a 'quickie' to hone my skills, I usually play QMB and use the Zero as I feel it's quite n00b friendly. However, the other day, I picked up using the Mustang and seem to have a few problems. I've read a few posts of the forum about not trying to outturn the zero, gain altitude/energy advantage, don't go under 3000m etc.

My problem is this. After the initial head-on against a zero, I try to gain altitude and zoom away, the Zero turns and follows me. After about 2-3 km distance outrunnung him and about 500~1000m height advantage, I'm stuck with what to do. If I turn, then it becomes another head-on match. Is this the way it's meant to be played? Just keep flying away, then head on the guy, zoom, head on, again and again? Is there a less risky way of defeating your opponent? Or maybe I should climb higher? Or maybe I'm not turning right?

I know QMB is a bit unrealistic, but that's the best I can live with until I get broadband. Thanks for the tactics and hints, guys. I know there are some Mustang aces out there.

MAstaKFC
05-18-2004, 07:00 AM
Hello guys, I'm a relative n00b at flight simming, and because of my current net connection, I'm limited to offline play. For a 'quickie' to hone my skills, I usually play QMB and use the Zero as I feel it's quite n00b friendly. However, the other day, I picked up using the Mustang and seem to have a few problems. I've read a few posts of the forum about not trying to outturn the zero, gain altitude/energy advantage, don't go under 3000m etc.

My problem is this. After the initial head-on against a zero, I try to gain altitude and zoom away, the Zero turns and follows me. After about 2-3 km distance outrunnung him and about 500~1000m height advantage, I'm stuck with what to do. If I turn, then it becomes another head-on match. Is this the way it's meant to be played? Just keep flying away, then head on the guy, zoom, head on, again and again? Is there a less risky way of defeating your opponent? Or maybe I should climb higher? Or maybe I'm not turning right?

I know QMB is a bit unrealistic, but that's the best I can live with until I get broadband. Thanks for the tactics and hints, guys. I know there are some Mustang aces out there.

Heavy_Weather
05-18-2004, 07:05 AM
yeah thats generally the idea with that tactic, however you can keep the advantage if you stay higher than him. once you gain hieght advantage you can get behind him at will, or just pick him off as he tries to climb up to meet you.

"To fly a combat mission is not a trip under the moon. Every attack, every bombing is a dance with death."
- Serafima Amsova-Taranenko: Noggle, Ann (1994): A Dance with Death.

Insuber
05-18-2004, 07:07 AM
Masta,

Spiral Climb --> Height and Angular advantage --> dive on the bandit --> no firing solution for the Zero.

Regards,
Insuber

PS: There excellent tutorial tracks for the Spiral Climb on the net

LilHorse
05-18-2004, 10:36 AM
You're right in that the QMB is a bit unrealistic. One of the key aspects of good BnZ work is to only go at it when you have the altitude advantage. As far as I know QMB doesn't give you that when you start off. You are always at co-altitude with the baddies which makes it difficult to gain sufficient alt. without losing a good amount of speed, since it also starts you out at a pretty low speed.

BnZing AI is a lot more work than humans IMHO. The AI flight model is simplified so that it can do things that, if you were flying the same plane, you couldn't. Especially if they are veteran or ace. Also, you can't really bounce AI because they have the "magic rear-eye radar". Ever notice that when you get in a certain range after they've been flying straight and level that all of a sudden they start manouvering to the bejezzus?

If all this sounds discouraging for learning BnZ offline, it is. The good news is that you don't need broadband to fly online. I connect with dial up and have no problems, even while running comms. But then there's bad news for online (at least to start). Prepare to get your a$$ handed to you for a good while. But it is online that the tactic really comes into it's own. You can BnZ on your own but it's best to do it with a wingman. In general it takes patience, discipline, and thought. That is, it's best to plan things out as much as you can in advance. The rest I'm sure you know- climb high, attack with alt. advantage, come in fast, shoot when in range and, whether you hit or miss, extend away and gentle climb up for another pass.

I encourage you to try online, get comms and join a squad who will teach you. Once you're comfortable online you'll only fly offline to sharpen your gunnery and practice ground pounding.

dieg777
05-18-2004, 11:15 AM
In Quick missions try to get lateral and vertical seperation -this will give you room to manouver. As soon as you see the dot -usually at 1 o clock -start a slow rate of climb to the opposite side (11 o clock). This will give you height advantage when you merge, if the enemy pulls up to you then you can continue your climbing turn untill he looses E following you and has to dive or if the enemy flies straight split S and start your dive .

GUNNER
Gunner get a decent signature
Gunner learn to fly
Gunner learn to shoot
Gunner not run out of bullets just as I get on his six

MAstaKFC
05-19-2004, 04:43 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys. Could someone please tell me the optimal climbing angle and speed for the mustang without losing too much energy? I can't get the 'feel' of what is right and what is wrong.

609IAP_Recon
05-19-2004, 05:01 AM
I actually go nose down to pick up speed, at merge go vertical.

if you want to extend with the mustang, keep the speed fast (for me 300+) and do a gradual climb.

think speed in the mustang, it is one of the fastest aircraft in the game. zero's are slow.

use your superior speed to your advantage.

Salute!

IV/JG51_Recon

http://www.forgottenskies.com/jg51sig2.jpg

LeadSpitter_
05-19-2004, 05:06 AM
lowering your proppitch will let you maintain your energy for a longer ammount of time when bnzing, 100 pitch will slow you down very quickly

http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/leadspitter/LSIG1.gif

dieg777
05-19-2004, 06:30 AM
Check out link below for tutorials on tactics for merge and BnZ
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Tailspin/index.htm

these might help

GUNNER
Gunner get a decent signature
Gunner learn to fly
Gunner learn to shoot
Gunner not run out of bullets just as I get on his six

MAstaKFC
05-19-2004, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the help, guys. I love this game.