PDA

View Full Version : Should Ubisoft kept Desmond alive?

DGEKSTROM
01-16-2015, 02:20 PM
As any Assassin Creed fan is aware, the first five games starred Desmond when the game would shift back to present day. And for the most part, it seemed as though Ubisoft were building towards a present day AC title starring Desmond. It would after all make sense since Altair and Ezio are amongst Desmond's lineage of ancestors, and considered to be some of, if not THE best assassins of all time. And with Desmond re-living their conquests through the Animus, he was essentially being trained by the best assassins that one could learn from.

But lo and behold, they kill him off, and now Ubisoft seems to be spinning their wheels not really knowing where to take the game next. AC: Unity was developed by 10 teams, and not one of those teams were responsible for creating any present day material outside of a few vid-coms with Rebecca.

It's also incredibly sad to think that after EIGHT GAMES, there still isn't a clear cut answer as to just what the hell is going on.

yankeegamergirl
01-16-2015, 02:30 PM
I really did enjoy the modern day aspects of the game. I like third person protagonists in my video games so I did enjoy playing as Desmond. The first person modern day was okay but I really don't enjoy first person game play at all most of the time. I wouldn't lament him so much if Ubisoft gave us another third person but it doesn't seem to be where they are heading. Overall I agree with your sentiments. There are some really great articulate posts that have touched upon this topic which you might be interested in with people who you probably would share a lot in common with in terms of your opinions on the game.

auditorevita
01-16-2015, 03:20 PM
Yes.
Ubisoft must kept Desmond alive.

because I think so modern days is essential in Assassin's Creed .
and, I think so desmond is essential in modern days of Assassin's Creed .

and, because Desmond is a main character of Assassin's Creed .

DGEKSTROM
01-16-2015, 03:21 PM
I really did enjoy the modern day aspects of the game. I like third person protagonists in my video games so I did enjoy playing as Desmond. The first person modern day was okay but I really don't enjoy first person game play at all most of the time. I wouldn't lament him so much if Ubisoft gave us another third person but it doesn't seem to be where they are heading. Overall I agree with your sentiments. There are some really great articulate posts that have touched upon this topic which you might be interested in with people who you probably would share a lot in common with in terms of your opinions on the game.

Thank you for the info. I might just do that.

Hans684
01-16-2015, 04:11 PM
Technically he isn't un-alived but he's in The Gray with Juno(properly pissed) and Clay, so he still lives but without a body.

Kiltraki
01-16-2015, 04:30 PM
Depends what you're asking here.

Should they have kept Desmond around? Probably not. They should have presented his death better though

Should they bring back a 3rd person protagonist? Absolutely

SixKeys
01-16-2015, 04:32 PM

Should they have kept Desmond around? Probably not. They should have presented his death better though

^ This. It's unlikely to happen though. Having an overarching MD story running through a game series with a yearly release schedule is a nightmare to write. If they ever stop with the annual releases, then maybe there's a chance of a proper MD returning, not before.

DGEKSTROM
01-16-2015, 07:03 PM

I agree that his death should've been handled better. And while it was interesting to see a first person perspective of the current day activities in recent games, I agree that the third person protagonists should be brought back as I prefer these characters to have personalities.

wildp1tch
01-16-2015, 08:33 PM
The sacrifice of Desmond to save the world from impending doom was an intensely climactic point in the story. I don't necessarily disagree with it. Protagonists have always died in literature, films and games. Think of Romeo and Juliet or John Marston of RDR .

At least in AC IV:BF we had a glimpse of the now freed Juno. The introduction of sages had quite some promise. I could see a plot of a loving husband traveling through time and space to finally be reunited with his one true love.

What became of Juno? What's the matter with Germain? Is he aware of him being a reincarnation of Ata? How does his demeanor relate to Juno? Since ACIII I've been waiting for the Juno story line to unfold in modern day AC.

After AC III I had presumed that Abstergo would become agents of Junos will to enslave humanity and that a new modern day Assassin, a successor to Desmond would take it on to relive past memories, so as to somehow prevail over Juno and her henchmen. And wasn't that somehow Desmonds promise from AC III, when he told Minerva: "Whatever Juno's planning - however terrible it might seem today - we'll find a way to stop it. But the alternative, what you want ... There's no hope there."?

I still have hope that this plot line will unravel sometime down the road in a future release.

SOLIDSOUTHCENTRA
01-16-2015, 08:45 PM
Desmond is dead.

BloodyAugust
01-16-2015, 09:43 PM
Although not a fan of Desmond in particular, the games do feel rudderless without a real lead. I have no real clue what is going on in modern times now, some boring Initiates are on a boat having drama, idk what Abstergo is trying to do besides find the suddenly super important Sages and I don't connect with faceless voiceless beta-tester person.

Most games stopped using the silent protagonist years ago because it does not really add to immersion.

DGEKSTROM
01-16-2015, 10:02 PM
The sacrifice of Desmond to save the world from impending doom was an intensely climactic point in the story. I don't necessarily disagree with it. Protagonists have always died in literature, films and games. Think of Romeo and Juliet or John Marston of RDR .

At least in AC IV:BF we had a glimpse of the now freed Juno. The introduction of sages had quite some promise. I could see a plot of a loving husband traveling through time and space to finally be reunited with his one true love.

What became of Juno? What's the matter with Germain? Is he aware of him being a reincarnation of Ata? How does his demeanor relate to Juno? Since ACIII I've been waiting for the Juno story line to unfold in modern day AC.

After AC III I had presumed that Abstergo would become agents of Junos will to enslave humanity and that a new modern day Assassin, a successor to Desmond would take it on to relive past memories, so as to somehow prevail over Juno and her henchmen. And wasn't that somehow Desmonds promise from AC III, when he told Minerva: "Whatever Juno's planning - however terrible it might seem today - we'll find a way to stop it. But the alternative, what you want ... There's no hope there."?

I still have hope that this plot line will unravel sometime down the road in a future release.

I appreciate your well read and very articulate response. Unfortunately I see the only way that the assassins creed story can get back on track is for Ubisoft to take a 2 to 3 year hiatus. I just think that the storyline has spun so wildly out-of-control that for Ubisoft to not even mention anything about present day activities in AC: Unity, gives us an inside look to just how clueless the writers are.

wildp1tch
01-16-2015, 11:41 PM
I agree with your view with regard to the utter confusion that is modern day AC.

What we have to take into account here is, that there were very many calls to get rid of modern day altogether. I perceive that Unity is an attempt to actually - arguably smoothly - phase out modern day, without at the same time offending gamers who bought into it from the get-go. Additionally I see how it actually benefits UBI. It pleases the community who was already uninterested, it also frees resources that are tied into the creation of modern day, from writing all the way down the production line, thereby cutting into cost of production and finally it allows them to effectively lose all the entanglement that could make - probably has already made - writing future issues of the game with some level of consistency a hellish and costly nightmare.

Telling a story is one thing, tying a storyline together across multiple iterations. settings and many levels of abstraction is a completely different beast.

wildp1tch
01-16-2015, 11:55 PM
In any case the approach taken was, to me at least, a poor effort and very unsatisfactory.

I would accept a more radical take informing us that Desmonds death is the "... and they lived happily ever after" moment and from now on we are treated to "The adventures and exploits of Assassins & Templars past".

Such a strategy wouldn't make me any happier. Alas! It would be a clear cut.

playlisting
01-17-2015, 12:03 AM
They should have. He was far too underused. They built him up and gave him all these skills, then they just killed him off. Wasn't a satisfactory end to Desmond to say the least. Only in AC3 did Desmond actually get out into the field to do work but even those missions weren't particularly special.

RADAR__4077
01-17-2015, 01:36 AM
They should have. He was far too underused. They built him up and gave him all these skills, then they just killed him off. Wasn't a satisfactory end to Desmond to say the least. Only in AC3 did Desmond actually get out into the field to do work but even those missions weren't particularly special.

This.

Someone brought up RDR. The key difference with that is they didn't try to drag out the story by replacing John Marston with the faceless saloon drunk. You play a few missions as Jack to give him closure, and a reasonable explanation of why you are still able to explore and do side missions.

Perk89
01-17-2015, 01:49 AM
I agree that he was killed prematurely. I don't think his death was poorly done though. I would like to see him brought back.

I also contend that given how little actual modern day content is in each game, writing and creating it isn't that much of creative burden. If they wanted to, they could extremely easily do what comic companies do. Gather everyone together, tell them what's going to happen and by extension their role at a particular point in the plot, and then send that company on their way. No, the problem is that Ubisoft very clearly has no idea which direction they want to want to take with the modern day, explaining why every character and plot thread has been left in a stasis tube through 3 games. I think they may want to get rid of it altogether, which is a shame because it's one of the best aspects of their narrative, for the sole purpose of attracting new customers, but are becoming increasingly hindered from doing so by a fanbase that is becoming more and more frustrated with the lack of progress on the MD front.

wildp1tch
01-17-2015, 01:57 AM
Someone brought up RDR. The key difference with that is they didn't try to drag out the story by replacing John Marston with the faceless saloon drunk. You play a few missions as Jack to give him closure, and a reasonable explanation of why you are still able to explore and do side missions.

That's of course absolutely true.But the point I was making was about how the death of a protagonist can be used as culmination of a plot.

Perk89
01-17-2015, 02:11 AM
Can anyone explain to me why the Templars would even be after a sage in Unity when they presumably already had one in John or whatever his name was. (The IT guy from AC4)

i mean they they had pretty clearly wanted one for hundreds of years soooo... What? He wasn't good enough for them? They tossed his remains over Olivier's balcony and said "Sure I wanted one, but not that one."

wildp1tch
01-17-2015, 02:21 AM
[...] I think they may want to get rid of it altogether, which is a shame because it's one of the best aspects of their narrative, for the sole purpose of attracting new customers, but are becoming increasingly hindered from doing so by a fanbase that is becoming more and more frustrated with the lack of progress on the MD front.

You are making a very valid point I never considered. I understand how lore and complexity might be considered an impediment to attracting new customers. The question is whether it's worth alienating longstanding fans in favor of new customers. It's presumably a very risky wager.

Perk89
01-17-2015, 02:31 AM
You are making a very valid point I never considered. I understand how lore and complexity might be considered an impediment to attracting new customers. The question is whether it's worth alienating longstanding fans in favor of new customers. It's presumably a very risky wager.

And I get where that concern would come from, but it just isn't valid. The series skyrocketed to borderline A-List heights with the modern day being an influential and noticeable part of the narrative. The series hasn't seen that increase in popularity since they have begun the process of putting it in the background. I'm not saying the MD aspect is what was drawing people, but it very clearly wasn't pushing them away.

Shahkulu101
01-17-2015, 02:35 AM
No, but his death shouldn't have been so lame and they shouldn't have dropped the overarching narrative after killing him off.

wildp1tch
01-17-2015, 03:15 AM
And I get where that concern would come from, but it just isn't valid. The series skyrocketed to borderline A-List heights with the modern day being an influential and noticeable part of the narrative. The series hasn't seen that increase in popularity since they have begun the process of putting it in the background. I'm not saying the MD aspect is what was drawing people, but it very clearly wasn't pushing them away.

I'm not aware of any valid objection to be made. As a matter of fact I believe the overarching narrative and associated lore to be the prime reasons to keep coming back to the franchise. I know they are in for me. Furthermore the general discussion does not leave the impression that anyone is demanding expanded MD from what was present through AC III. A steady and consistent continuation would have sufficed.

VoldR
01-17-2015, 03:46 AM
I'm playing for the story, what the writers have in mind, not what I want it to be. So if someone dies, so be it. How tragic it is depends on how well we like the person.

I for one do miss his point of view on the situation, even considered a truce with the Templars.

Now as for which "view"
I like both TPS & FPS perspective
Only thing that let me down in BF onwards, is the lack of dialog. FPS can go around jumping on rooftops as well, as proven in some games but the lack of words just makes him/her dull. I don't want to think its me as it was the first idea for it...

And we know its not one person we're seeing (maybe 2 or 3) So no need to hide their voice. Just let them speak when necessary. I just started blackflag, so I don't know if the person even make a sound if someone pushes him. Forgot if he even breaths hard. when waking up in rogue at the beginning.

But like I said just started BF so maybe I didn't hear any dialog from peoples playthroughs & there will be some I don't know.

I don't dislike it, just wish there's more to it then moving around and clicking. Like with Desmond we get to travel around the country at the least.
:)

VoldR
01-17-2015, 05:31 AM
Should make two timelines, the current one we have and another where as Minerva showed, he came out alive to br III Ng up the world.

That'll make Ubosoft's story writers crazy.
:D

Hans684
01-17-2015, 12:55 PM
Can anyone explain to me why the Templars would even be after a sage in Unity when they presumably already had one in John or whatever his name was. (The IT guy from AC4)

i mean they they had pretty clearly wanted one for hundreds of years soooo... What? He wasn't good enough for them? They tossed his remains over Olivier's balcony and said "Sure I wanted one, but not that one."

Actually the Assassins blew up the place where they had John.

king-hailz
01-17-2015, 01:09 PM
Sometimes I think he should have stayed alive but I think it still would have been average. They need to have a new third person protagonist.

Ubisoft should hire someone who can write a good story that takes care of both! The closest we have come is the person who wrote rogue since rogue had a great story and to be honest although the modern day didn't progress I think that is the best handling of characters and dialogue we have ever seen in the modern day... We just need a better plot for it.

RinoTheBouncer
01-17-2015, 04:23 PM
Desmond and Ezio were the best things that ever happened to the franchise. One held the modern day part together and made it so relevant, important and rich and the other gave us the 3 best games in the entire franchise. Nothing against the other games, but those were like the apex of the franchise. I dont think well ever get as much lore as we did during the Desmond Saga and the Ezio trilogy, specifically.

auditorevita
01-22-2015, 02:24 PM
I think Desmond will probably resuscitation. 

Assassins is looking for artifacts of the dead resuscitation.

DragonAgeLegend
01-22-2015, 02:43 PM
I would love for Desmond to return, but he's gone most likely forever. I would however love to have a new modern day story protagonist, following their journey into the Aniums.

EmptyCrustacean
01-22-2015, 03:45 PM
^ This. It's unlikely to happen though. Having an overarching MD story running through a game series with a yearly release schedule is a nightmare to write. If they ever stop with the annual releases, then maybe there's a chance of a proper MD returning, not before.

I'm so fed up with this exuse. Yes, annual releases affect the gameplay itself and optimisation but as for story a year is more than enough. Movies are written, filmed and released within a year. A tv series has 22 episodes per year, each episode contributing to a larger story arc. A year is plenty of time to write a decent MD story.

Bastiaen
01-22-2015, 05:39 PM

It's explained pretty clearly in Assassin's Creed Rogue. Project Phoenix is essentially Abstergo trying to completely rebuild first civ genome. They used John as much as they could, and considered themselves very fortunate to have found him, because it meant progress for project Phoenix, but they still need more FC DNA to complete the genome.

RzaRecta357
01-22-2015, 05:55 PM
I don't think he should come back but I think we should have a female protagonist in main day to take over for him.

AjinkyaParuleka
01-22-2015, 07:20 PM
They made him a plot tool in ACIII,which was a veeeeeeeery bad idea,he would've died,but ubi didn't make his death good enough,A fan video uploaded to youtube and a post in forums actually had a better death for him.

GunnerGalactico
01-22-2015, 07:53 PM
It probably wasn't the best idea to have Desmond killed off. For me personally, the MD we have currently is mundane and boring. I don't like the: "first-person floating tablet view", hacking computers (it's bad enough that I didn't complete hacking the ones in AC4, now I've got Rogue to do as well :rolleyes:) and secret Abstergo projects. I feel that they should bring back third person MD.

DisbandedBox359
01-23-2015, 01:26 AM
Technically he isn't un-alived but he's in The Gray with Juno(properly pissed) and Clay, so he still lives but without a body.

I can just imagine the awkward silence between those 3

LUR21
01-23-2015, 06:12 AM
My theory. Desmond is still in a way alive. He is just not Desmond anymore. Nor is he called Desmond any more.