PDA

View Full Version : Dead Kings is the nail in the coffin

DGEKSTROM
01-15-2015, 03:51 PM
While I can appreciate Unity's new parkour mechanics and the elimination of the crafting system(because why an assassin of all people would have to hunt animals to craft their own gear is beyond me), I cannot understand why they would implement a half baked cover mechanic, while at the same time removing two long-standing mechanics that have always been a part of the assassin creed series: the whistle and the ability to hide bodies. Those two gameplay mechanics are necessary for any stealth based game period.

But the nail in the coffin for me was starting up the new Dead Kings DLC. I just started playing the main campaign and understandably I thought the exclamation point on my map was the next chapter in Unity's campaign, only to find out it was actually the DLC, and now I can't back out of it without completing the first chapter. And with every enemy reflecting what a leveled up Arno should be since it takes place after the main campaign, has proven to be exceptionally difficult since I'm still nothing more then an apprentice.

Alphacos007
01-15-2015, 04:00 PM
I'm sorry but I'll have to disagree. While whisper is definitely usefull, it is not necessary for any stealth games. Except for AC3, AC4 and Splinter Cell Blacklist, I never played stealth games (and I play all of them) that had such thing. And the DLC is not obligatory, you went there because you wanted to, the exclamation point doesn't send you there, it was probably pointing at the Cafè Theather but not on Franciade, your mistake there buddy.

DGEKSTROM
01-15-2015, 04:18 PM
I fast traveled next to the exclamation point, but little did I know that would automatically start the DLC. I think that's just poor implementation. The player should be the one to start up any and all DLC. The game shouldn't be making that decision for you.

At the end of the day assassins creed is nothing more than a game. I appreciated being able to use the whistle in previous games, and for those that didn't care for it didn't have to use it. but if the developers are going to start changing this series to reflect more stealth based games in the vein of splinter cell and hitman, then they need to understand just why it is those series of games are considered the best amongst stealth enthusiasts.

SOLIDSOUTHCENTRA
01-15-2015, 08:43 PM
you can back out you just have to play a little bit. The whistle is definitely missed.

Alphacos007
01-15-2015, 08:53 PM
You should read where you click then, you probably clicked on the wrong place, because the DLC doesn't start itself when you get near the starting point, you actually need to click on the Fast Travel to Franciade option. I'm sure you just say the fast travel, didn't read what else was written, and pressed the confirmation button. Again, not their fault.

JustPlainQuirky
01-15-2015, 11:32 PM
I came here to appreciate the punny title of this thread.

tdtdtdtd
01-16-2015, 12:38 AM
Ubisoft stock dropped dramatically after ACU was released. I hope it goes down further after this ****stain that passes for a DLC is released.

Alphacos007
01-16-2015, 02:07 AM
I came here to appreciate the punny title of this thread.

I didn't notice that untill you said it. Can't stop laughing now.

wildp1tch
01-16-2015, 03:01 AM
Punny title indeed. There have been so many nails in so many coffins before one should think half of UBI is locked in some coffin struggling to get out. As for the OPs comments, as far as I have played it, it seems rather solid and indeed you have to fast travel to Franciade to kick off DK so I cannot see any fault on UBIs part. You can also travel back after the first mission. So nothing's lost.

As far as wishing ill to Ubisoft I will say that I too think that some poor choices have been made in making ACU but also some decent progress. If you do not like the game there's remedy for the future: do not buy any more. That's also how you can personally contribute to plunging UBIs stock price further. Please don't get me wrong I'm all for informed debate, but you're not making an argument, you Sir are simply ranting which is totally unproductive.

cawatrooper9
01-16-2015, 06:39 AM
I really liked the DLC... :rolleyes:

wvstolzing
01-16-2015, 07:04 AM
The title reminds me of the coffin salesman in Le Chuck's Revenge...

BoBwUzHeRe1138
01-16-2015, 10:08 AM
I'm sorry but I'll have to disagree. While whisper is definitely usefull, it is not necessary for any stealth games. Except for AC3, AC4 and Splinter Cell Blacklist, I never played stealth games (and I play all of them) that had such thing. And the DLC is not obligatory, you went there because you wanted to, the exclamation point doesn't send you there, it was probably pointing at the Cafè Theather but not on Franciade, your mistake there buddy.

Erm... and Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, and both versions of Splinter Cell: Double Agent.

And Chaos Theory is one of the most beloved stealth games ever.

People tend to list a few different games when really discussing stealth: Thief, Deus Ex, MGS. Chaos Theory is a beloved game that included the whistle. It may not be quite as respected and lauded as the other games but it definitely should be.

Kiltraki
01-16-2015, 10:47 AM
I enjoyed the DLC but thought the story they were trying to tell is just too expansive and deep for a 2 hour DLC.

wildp1tch
01-16-2015, 12:24 PM
The title reminds me of the coffin salesman in Le Chuck's Revenge...

Stan. Classic!