PDA

View Full Version : My Dead Kings Review *Spoilers Inside*

RinoTheBouncer
01-15-2015, 02:12 PM
First of all, thank you Ubisoft for a beautiful gift to us, the fans. The fact that it’s free isn’t what matters, what matters is that you thought you’d somehow make us happy, and it did make me happy. So thank you!

Now let me start with everything that I loved about it, I must say that I was very impressed with the references to Egypt, the Apple and a bit more First Civ. stuff. I’ll discuss the latter later in this review. The gameplay was almost the same as Unity. I didn’t face any major issues with the gameplay of ACU, and I didn’t face any here, either. Everything was running like ACU and I was happy with it. The fact that the sequence is focused on Arno and Arno alone was great, because it made me like Arno even more. I loved him in ACU, but here, it made me like him more.

The Guillotine Gun was great as a melee weapon, and it was a very powerful as a ranged one. It took me a while to get the hang of it and I don’t know why for some reason, shooting at certain enemies can kill them instantaneously even if I wasn’t directly targeted at them, while others will survive it even if it’s pointed at their faces. Maybe I missed something, I don’t know. As I didn’t really focus much on anything but the story itself.

I loved the nature of the puzzles. They were crafted in a similar way as the Nostradamus Enigmas and Murder Mysteries. That was a nice addition and same for the Stories of Franciade. It gave the feeling of Dead Kings not just being a story but a whole package a long with it’s side missions, outfits, weapons..etc. I also loved the fact that there were more indoor missions. That part has always interested me since the very first game when we start as Altair exploring the underground tomb of Solomon.

As for the stuff I didn’t like about it, I was hoping for a longer experience like Freedom Cry or The Tyranny of King Washington which were pretty long and immersive. I love AC so much and the longer the experience is, the better for me, because it means I can keep having more and more fun with it, especially that I’m the type of player who cares about the story-driven missions more than the side quests or the online multiplayer stuff.

I loved the outfits, but I was hoping that we’d start the experience with one of these outfits and not what we’re wearing in the game, and same goes for the beard which looked amazing in the CGI trailer but it wasn’t in the game. I was hoping for a new look, something like how the last chapter of ACII changed how Ezio looked. Like the outfits felt like a bonus given with the game, not something that Arno actually wore in this experience and they all relied on being found and unlocked rather than worn by Arno because this is what he really wore when he went to Saint Denis, as shown in the trailers of Dead Kings.

Another thing I disliked was the redesign of the first civ. sites and the artifact. One of the most amazing things about the First Civ. in the previous games was the architecture. They’re built in such a way that is so modern, so intriguing, so beautiful, so thrilling and so high-tech and they truly feel like a world of their own. That’s what made me so hooked to those parts and same for the artifacts which always looked so minimalistic and futuristic in nature. Here, we get more of an ancient-looking Temple with floating assassin spirits with no explanation as to how they’re there or what they represent and the lantern we get in the end is pretty much like the Apple, yet looks so ancient, like it’s Mayan or something. It felt out of place in the world of the First Civ.

I really wish we get to go back to the architecture of the First Civ. temples in ACIII, ACII and AC:B. Those were breathtaking and everything about them was so mysterious, so scientific, so futuristic and so beautiful. So I truly hope that this style doesn’t carry on to the next game, as it feels like it’s more like a level out of Tomb Raider, Soul Reaver or Uncharted than Assassin’s Creed.

I wished that we got more narrative to at least explain more about this artifact, and who made it..etc. instead of being left to our past knowledge and imagination, and the same goes for how Arno and Napoleon seem to have had a falling out and didn’t have a single conversation throughout the game. Had we focused on The Apple that Napoleon got in ACU (shown by the yellow glow on his face), the whole thing would’ve been a lot more interesting, instead of a lantern that summons bats and causes seizures. And same goes for the modern day purpose of this chapter. At the start, we seem to get a new sequence, but we don’t know why we’re following it. Like is the “me” who’s playing with the Helix stuck in there to something that we have to go through this to be ejected from the Helix?

Now as for the reference to Egypt, I was stunned that moment and the ending left me hungry for more and I truly wish we get to see something revolving around Egypt. Yes, it was kinda implied that Arno will stick around in France, but maybe if he gets to go to Egypt later or perhaps contact someone who’s in Egypt and we start playing as them or their grandson or something in Egypt, that would be wonderful. I wanna know who this Al-Mualim of Egypt is and what will become of the Apple that Arno sent to him.

By the way, I absolutely LOVED the “Requiescat in pace” line at the start, I was like “OMG! the Ezio effect!”.

So all in all, thanks for this lovely gift, (and thanks for the season pass gift as well, I’m LOVING FC4). I had a great time playing through it and I wanna checkout the side missions and continue playing FC4 which I only finished it’s prologue, last night. And I’d be really happy if we get another episode of Dead Kings. The ending left me even more hungry for more Arno story. Thanks for giving us a chance to write our feedback here on the official forums and taking the time to read it.

Best regards,
RinoTheBouncer (Reno)

Fatal-Feit
01-15-2015, 02:58 PM
As always, an amazing review by one of the most passionate fan of the franchise. :)

(crud, I should have heed that spoiler warning)

phoenix-force411
01-15-2015, 03:02 PM
I loved most things about it, but I agree about the length of the game. Also, don't even get me started with the first mission having the challenge "Do not get into conflict," because that took me an hour just to do and I was getting frustrated.

Alphacos007
01-15-2015, 03:07 PM
Completely agreed with you. And that "Hidden Temple" soundtrack, holy mother of God, I was stunned when I got to the temple for the first time and that music started to play. It really felt like the first time we enter the Vault in AC3. It was a great DLC, even through pretty short and lacking further explanations.

Namikaze_17
01-15-2015, 03:45 PM
Great Review as always, Rino. ^__^

Kiltraki
01-15-2015, 05:41 PM
Great review amigo.

I feel like the story presented here would have been great for a sequel, with some tweaks. Again, just like Unity I felt like the story was just too short to really give the plot justice.

Unity's plot on paper is a work of genius. It's interesting, has twists and has a lot of depth. It has interesting characters, charm, emotion and relevance to the historical time period. In the game though many things were left out or under developed. Example Arno wrote letters to his father, which was never mentioned in game. It would have added more emotion to his father's death. More impact. The characters, while incredibly awesome and interesting to listen to, were under developed or under utilised. Mirabeau, a moderate who wants everyone to cooperate to fight the greater evil. Pierre, a dedicated stern Assassin who lives to kill Templars. He is an extremist assassin. Marqui, a sexually deviant yet charming atheistic noble with with... interesting ideas for novels (the goat it is Arno). Napoleon, a well spoken artillery tactician who really knows what's going on behind the scenes. How could I forget Elise, an independent, driven gorgeous woman. These characters were awesome but just frankly not given enough screen time. I liked these characters but not once did I care for them.

I went a bit off topic there, but my same issue applies here. There is a lot of depth to the Dead Kings plot, but the length is far too short to meaningfully explore it. I mean you have:
- Arno's struggle with the past
- France still in midst of Revolution
- Leon plot
- Manuscript plot
- Napoleon plot
- Raiders plot
- First civ plot

I felt like it would have made a great sequel. Unity would have been a large scale, dark redemption story with a large cast of characters in the midst of the Revolution, where everything is high stakes.
Dead Kings could have been a more personal sequel, with more focus on Arno and less about surrounding history or characters. The focus would be completely on him now that Elise is gone.

TLDR; Interesting plot but impossible to give justice in a 3 hour story.

Couple things I enjoyed about the DLC:
- Requescat in Pace. I thought this was absolutely brilliant. An awesome callback to the Ezio days. Funny when he says 'this doesn't mean anything to you, does it' in a mockery tone. Fit Arno's personality I thought.
- Egypt being brought up. This could be me just being optimistic but I'd like to think these could be clues to a future installment. I am ever so waiting for a game in Egypt, and I really hope we get it soon. Europe is awesome but we need to expand.
- Leon. He was surprisingly bearable considering how annoying kids usually are in games and movies. It was cool seeing Arno as a kid with his father, and then Arno being with Leon. Some cool age progression there.

The only thing I didn't like is that:
- Napoleon goes from being a perfectly normal guy in Unity to being some ****bag in DK. I feel like this happened in Rogue as well. They flip the script and say "these guys are actually the enemy now!" and instead of making it convincing they just make it feel cartoony. The Napoleon in Unity was pretty different to the Napoleon in DK.

aL_____eX
01-15-2015, 06:49 PM
https://33.media.tumblr.com/8cb046e6f16e05f8521e15de31927f52/tumblr_mt80mvKYGn1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

SteelCity999
01-15-2015, 07:12 PM
Dead Kings had the one thing that Unity did not.....a connection to the modern day, first civ, that we know matters. It asks question but gives few answers. Sound like any other games in the franchise?

Overall it was a pretty solid DLC. Wish it would've been longer.

aL_____eX
01-17-2015, 03:08 PM
Sooo... what exactly is the new artifact we saw in Dead Kings? It wasn't an Apple (way too small) and it was not the latern (it was inside the latern, which only functioned as a vessel), it was more some kind of ball-shaped-apple-of-eden-like thing? Or is there something I don't get?

Hrafnagud72
01-17-2015, 03:28 PM
I'm split on Dead Kings. They had some good things going for it but they dropped the ball. I like that they made a connection to the first civilization. But they didn't flesh any of it out. It left you with more questions than answers. The story was incredibly short and when it ended I was like what the hell. They don't explain the ghosts, they don't explain what the PoE is, how is got there, what its purpose is. They don't explain how Napoleon suddenly turned into the enemy. At the end of Unity Arno seems content and knowing his purpose and the beginning of DK he seems like he's come undone. What happened between the end of Unity and DK that made him unravel? It all just seems really random to me.

RinoTheBouncer
01-17-2015, 04:47 PM
As always, an amazing review by one of the most passionate fan of the franchise. :)

(crud, I should have heed that spoiler warning)

Much appreciated, my friend. :)
When are you planning on playing it?

Completely agreed with you. And that "Hidden Temple" soundtrack, holy mother of God, I was stunned when I got to the temple for the first time and that music started to play. It really felt like the first time we enter the Vault in AC3. It was a great DLC, even through pretty short and lacking further explanations.

I just got the soundtrack from the iTunes Store. Still haven’t listened to it in full, but it was amazing to listen to it within the game. Hidden Temple is amazing, I totally agree.

I loved most things about it, but I agree about the length of the game. Also, don't even get me started with the first mission having the challenge "Do not get into conflict," because that took me an hour just to do and I was getting frustrated.

I personally didn’t even bother looking at any side quests and optional objectives. I was just following the story. I was very well leveled up so I didn’t really worry about being detected or surrounded. That was a plus side for me, since I was after the story more than anything. But I just wish it was as long as Freedom Cry or ToKW...

Great Review as always, Rino. ^__^

Thank you, my friend. Glad you like it :)

Great review amigo.

I feel like the story presented here would have been great for a sequel, with some tweaks. Again, just like Unity I felt like the story was just too short to really give the plot justice.

Unity's plot on paper is a work of genius. It's interesting, has twists and has a lot of depth. It has interesting characters, charm, emotion and relevance to the historical time period. In the game though many things were left out or under developed. Example Arno wrote letters to his father, which was never mentioned in game. It would have added more emotion to his father's death. More impact. The characters, while incredibly awesome and interesting to listen to, were under developed or under utilised. Mirabeau, a moderate who wants everyone to cooperate to fight the greater evil. Pierre, a dedicated stern Assassin who lives to kill Templars. He is an extremist assassin. Marqui, a sexually deviant yet charming atheistic noble with with... interesting ideas for novels (the goat it is Arno). Napoleon, a well spoken artillery tactician who really knows what's going on behind the scenes. How could I forget Elise, an independent, driven gorgeous woman. These characters were awesome but just frankly not given enough screen time. I liked these characters but not once did I care for them.

I went a bit off topic there, but my same issue applies here. There is a lot of depth to the Dead Kings plot, but the length is far too short to meaningfully explore it. I mean you have:
- Arno's struggle with the past
- France still in midst of Revolution
- Leon plot
- Manuscript plot
- Napoleon plot
- Raiders plot
- First civ plot

I felt like it would have made a great sequel. Unity would have been a large scale, dark redemption story with a large cast of characters in the midst of the Revolution, where everything is high stakes.
Dead Kings could have been a more personal sequel, with more focus on Arno and less about surrounding history or characters. The focus would be completely on him now that Elise is gone.

TLDR; Interesting plot but impossible to give justice in a 3 hour story.

Couple things I enjoyed about the DLC:
- Requescat in Pace. I thought this was absolutely brilliant. An awesome callback to the Ezio days. Funny when he says 'this doesn't mean anything to you, does it' in a mockery tone. Fit Arno's personality I thought.
- Egypt being brought up. This could be me just being optimistic but I'd like to think these could be clues to a future installment. I am ever so waiting for a game in Egypt, and I really hope we get it soon. Europe is awesome but we need to expand.
- Leon. He was surprisingly bearable considering how annoying kids usually are in games and movies. It was cool seeing Arno as a kid with his father, and then Arno being with Leon. Some cool age progression there.

The only thing I didn't like is that:
- Napoleon goes from being a perfectly normal guy in Unity to being some ****bag in DK. I feel like this happened in Rogue as well. They flip the script and say "these guys are actually the enemy now!" and instead of making it convincing they just make it feel cartoony. The Napoleon in Unity was pretty different to the Napoleon in DK.

Thank you. I love your review as well. The DLC was really good, but I think we can all agree that the length was the greatest and only problem, because had it been longer, the obscure parts of the story will have been given time to be discovered. This is just wishful thinking, but if they release another DLC, I’ll be really happy.

Sooo... what exactly is the new artifact we saw in Dead Kings? It wasn't an Apple (way too small) and it was not the latern (it was inside the latern, which only functioned as a vessel), it was more some kind of ball-shaped-apple-of-eden-like thing? Or is there something I don't get?

Well the size of the Apple that we saw in the epilogue got me wondering as well, as it looks smaller than the Apples that we know. The Lantern felt like it came out of nowhere, like the Sword of Eden, except that the latter was known from previous games. I think it would’ve been more interesting if we were after the Apple that Napoleon had. Like Arno didn’t know anything about it when Napoleon got it, and now he does, so he’s after it. I also wanna know what those floating spirits were and what led Arno and Napoleon to hate each other all of a sudden.

https://33.media.tumblr.com/8cb046e6f16e05f8521e15de31927f52/tumblr_mt80mvKYGn1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

I appreciate that a lot, my friend. :cool:

RA503
01-17-2015, 07:11 PM
is nothing so strange about a smaller apple,the first civ improve the tecnology like humankind made with cell phones...

reposting what I post in another tread : The database updates after you beat the DLC with the information about Napoleon's prison, it said that after a short time he is released and start his campaign in egypt (like in the history books)Shaun ponctuate that napoleon found something in cairo,is the apple, the golden thing that he collect in the sequence 8 is probably only the key.

also, the apple have to be smaller to fit in napoleon's pocket like in AC 2 glyph...

RinoTheBouncer what you think about the Eve reference in the end ? http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/995519-Who-is-the-mysterious-lady-DEAD-KINGS-SPOILERS

Jackdaw951
01-17-2015, 07:28 PM
Terrific in-depth review, Rhino. Thank you. I enjoyed the DLC for what it was, but I don't follow the lore and story anywhere near as closely as you do. I fully agree that it should have been longer. I got through everything I wanted to do in a couple of sittings. Then again, you can't beat what you get for free.

RinoTheBouncer
01-18-2015, 12:00 AM
RinoTheBouncer what you think about the Eve reference in the end ? http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/995519-Who-is-the-mysterious-lady-DEAD-KINGS-SPOILERS

I’m glad somebody’s discussing that part too. It inspired me to write an article all about it on my fan page (linked below). The name Eve is a common name, so it could be anyone, but why Eve, specifically? I’m sure or let’s say I hope that it has something to do with the original Eve, somehow.

Terrific in-depth review, Rhino. Thank you. I enjoyed the DLC for what it was, but I don't follow the lore and story anywhere near as closely as you do. I fully agree that it should have been longer. I got through everything I wanted to do in a couple of sittings. Then again, you can't beat what you get for free.

Thank you, my friend. I’m glad you enjoyed reading through it :)

I’m not really complaining about it. I’m just posting a feedback about the unexplained stuff. After all, this was supposed to be a paid DLC. So it makes me wonder had it not been free, would we still get the same or perhaps a larger experience? I’m sorry, I’m not trying to say that Ubisoft half-a**ed it cause it’s free, as I’m greatly appreciative of this gift and love it just the way it is, but just wondering if the project was planned to be bigger than this had the whole glitches with AC:U thing not happened.

Alphacos007
01-18-2015, 12:29 AM
The artifact was indeed very small, but I suppose it was just a small apple. Except for the size, it was identic to the other apples, and the visual effects that appear when you use it were exactly the same. What really got me wondering is that it seems to control animals instead of humans, after all you use it to make the bats attack the enemies. Maybe it's smaller because it's made to control animals instead of humans, and that demands less energy because the animals are not so intelligent like us? Who knows...

http://puu.sh/ewSk1/a861500911.jpg

aL_____eX
01-18-2015, 12:34 AM
For me it looks nothing like an Apple of Eden. The apples always have this futuristic First Civ structures we now from the ACIII vault for example. This things looks more like royal jewelry or something like that because of the golden shell.

If this IS and Apple, then Ubi... you messed it up.

RA503
01-18-2015, 01:27 AM
I’m glad somebody’s discussing that part too. It inspired me to write an article all about it on my fan page (linked below). The name Eve is a common name, so it could be anyone, but why Eve, specifically? I’m sure or let’s say I hope that it has something to do with the original Eve, somehow.

but I reserch on google and found nothing about a famous woman with the name Eve in the time of french revolution,and a fictional character with this name is a obvious tease for the fans.

Altair1789
01-18-2015, 01:51 AM
Overall I thought it was pretty good. It could've been better or given more closure, but I liked the writing

For me it looks nothing like an Apple of Eden. The apples always have this futuristic First Civ structures we now from the ACIII vault for example. This things looks more like royal jewelry or something like that because of the golden shell.

It looked like he was refining whatever it was. Who knows, maybe it's a fake of whatever it was supposed to be, but I doubt it's the apple

Alphacos007
01-18-2015, 05:51 AM

Wot? It looks almost identical, even the "writings" on it look the same:
The apple:
http://puu.sh/eFLeX/fff1c9a9ee.jpg
The one from DK:
http://puu.sh/eFLgr/1c9d2e41d4.jpg
Putting them in the same perspective:
http://puu.sh/eFM89/c53f3d4f47.jpg
Using a real-made one so that the similarity in the writings can be better seen:
http://puu.sh/eFNkL/fd92dd979b.jpg

STDlyMcStudpants
01-19-2015, 04:51 AM
I thought Dead Kings was crap... launch trailer made undelivered promises...
I wouldve been so mad if i bought it

pacmanate
01-19-2015, 01:49 PM
Dead Kings was terrible! Firstly its glitchy as hell, my mortars didn't shoot sometimes, the combat was still broken and sometimes I couldnt even run. Also I didn't even understand why I was taking orders from a kid, it seemed so out of place to me. I didn't want Arno to get his faith back, we hardly saw him LOSE it. I wanted to see him with a cold tone for the majority of the game. I am so glad I didn't have to pay for this.

Not to mention Napoleon being arrested was the most random thing ever.

killzab
01-19-2015, 02:07 PM
Dead Kings was terrible! Firstly its glitchy as hell, my mortars didn't shoot sometimes, the combat was still broken and sometimes I couldnt even run. Also I didn't even understand why I was taking orders from a kid, it seemed so out of place to me. I didn't want Arno to get his faith back, we hardly saw him LOSE it. I wanted to see him with a cold tone for the majority of the game. I am so glad I didn't have to pay for this.

Not to mention Napoleon being arrested was the most random thing ever.

Well it actually happened... they just didn't bother explaining it ...

Mathias_Borealis
01-19-2015, 03:53 PM
What i did like about the DLC:
More stable FPS (noticeable) than Paris. Maybe because of less crowd.
Made me know about Saint-Denis and all the Kings buried into (wikipedia helps).
Nice riddles, easier to guess since they were on a smaller map and you are able to get hints which don't ruin the riddle but give you more info to understand it and resolve.

And that's all because i didn't like that it was very short, this was a chance for ubi to show us that their dlc are worth the money (this was included for a 29,99 euros season pass bundled with a 2d game), which they totally missed. First of all if you plan to make a season pass, please make all the dlcs about the game we bought, do not put other projects inside the season pass to fill the void... because what i learned from this loss (because it's still a loss) is that for sure i'll not buy a season pass for a game that 3 months after its publishing is already too much old to care of. If i didn't care about this serie i would have sold the game the instant i finished this dlc while it still sits here near to my ps4, completed at 100% but not replayable at all (i still have not Alzhemier that i need to replay the campaign one month after i finished it). Also no one mentioned the co-op missions bundled with this dlc which are an epic trash. Defend 3 defenders (lol) for 20 minutes around the town with random guys spawning. Do that 3 times for all the weapons. Sorry but this isn't fun at all. Multiplayer in other ACs was honestly more fun because at least it provided some longevity, it would have been cool if there were both modes available, versus and co-op, but it's obvious you didn't care about replayability at all. Seriously i don't know how people here can be ok with this policy of dropping a broken game, which is also very short but since it's more broken than short it's longevity isn't analized at all by anyone, and still we're 3 months later hearing that the game is already too much old to get a patch 5 for getting a stable FPS on consoles because we've ALSO learned since 2 months that there is already another AC ready to go and we prolly need to pay other 69 euros to see in 9 months (meanwhile ac unity price will be 2 dollars) the fixes that should have been also on Unity during this year.

So thanks for this free try of one of your dlcs in 2015 but imo they're not worth it, and you know that the only real problem here is that you bake games one right after the other "but we develop those for 4 years" but still in 3 months you managed to fix hundreds of bugs guess what could have happened if unity was released november 2015, maybe it was cool enough to even reach something like 3 Dead Kings-like DLCs or just 2 bigger dlcs (and these are worth a season pass). EDIT: actually it's all up to the story if it's worth to buy it

also seriously open a poll, prey god, do something but SUPPRESS THE COMPANION APP. it's no fun at all it's just a glitch hole like initiates. PLEASE. Simply all the IN GAME content must be unlockable IN GAME. I still cannot believe that there are lines of code and textures installed into my ps4 that require me ANOTHER APP in ANOTHER device or SITE to be used. On the g*****n cover it's written: PS4 not IPAD

i'll skip this serie for a long time since next one and prolly the others will face the same APPROACH (not problems my friends, it's totally the approach of the company) of this unity which to me is more like an AC diaspora

seriously start another IP ubisoft if you've so much manpower

pacmanate
01-19-2015, 06:29 PM
Well it actually happened... they just didn't bother explaining it ...

Ah, I missed the part where I said that it never happened.....

Which I didn't.

It was random in the sense that it had nothing to do with anything.

Shahkulu101
01-19-2015, 06:40 PM
He's arrested because they find out he was using soldiers to search for the artifacts illegally.

That was explained.

killzab
01-19-2015, 10:13 PM
Ah, I missed the part where I said that it never happened.....

Which I didn't.

It was random in the sense that it had nothing to do with anything.

No need to be so passive/aggressive...

EmptyCrustacean
01-22-2015, 04:33 AM
I'm split on Dead Kings. They had some good things going for it but they dropped the ball. I like that they made a connection to the first civilization. But they didn't flesh any of it out. It left you with more questions than answers. The story was incredibly short and when it ended I was like what the hell. They don't explain the ghosts, they don't explain what the PoE is, how is got there, what its purpose is. They don't explain how Napoleon suddenly turned into the enemy. At the end of Unity Arno seems content and knowing his purpose and the beginning of DK he seems like he's come undone. What happened between the end of Unity and DK that made him unravel? It all just seems really random to me.

This. All of this.

Hrafnagud72
01-22-2015, 05:20 AM
To add to my last post. I liked that they brought back the caverns, hidden things, and puzzles in DK. Though a lot of the times I felt like the biggest challenge was how to get through 60 guards rather than figuring out the puzzle on how to reach the end of the cavern to find what you are looking for. The caverns ended up being rather straight forward with tons of guards in the way between the beginning and end, which was disappointing.