PDA

View Full Version : How does anyone play this game?

Henge1759
01-14-2015, 08:16 PM
I hate this game!!! They took something I loved and destroyed it.( I'm not talking about the story). I hate the climbing mechanics!!! Every time I do a mission involving windows, he never climbs through them, and yes I am hitting the correct button. Stealth sucks in this game. If you can't attract the soldiers then why even have hidden spots?? You can't pick bodies up or whistle. I know alot of people complain about the fighting being changed. I can fight fine, even though it seems the number of enemies is ridiculous. I don't like the buying skills to better yourself in the game. It seems like everything is geared for you to spend more money to max out your character, so playing is somewhat fun. I will never buy another AC game, if they remain like this. It is so frustrating on a timed mission, to watch Arno Climb above a window, drop below it, climb above it, jump side to side. All this while trying to go into it, only to run out of time or be shot to death. Also I hate that nobody ever misses my character, He is constantly getting shot, weather from a distance or in close combat.
I can accept making a challenge for a new game, but this is overboard. I am having no fun playing at all, and feel like I have to force myself to play since I wasted my money on the game!!

Jackdaw951
01-14-2015, 08:27 PM
The parkour is much improved. The window thing can be dodgy, but it works well most of the time. (Be sure to *only* press the go-inside button when in position.) The character growth through skills and gear augments I welcome. I think it's terrific, very RPG-like. About the lack of whistle and hiding bodies, I agree. Those are missed. You can use cherry bombs to attract, however. Not the same, but it's something.

There is nothing wrong with the stealth in the game. Remember the RPG comment? Now your level of stealth is affected by your stats. With the proper augments, you can practically walk unnoticed by the guards. In fact, with disguise, completely unnoticed. Nothing more satisfying than a peasant woman walking up to a pair of guards, and transforming into a badass assassin as they drop dead silently.

For ranged attacks, there is ranged armor; and smoke bombs break those attackers' line of sight. Besides, getting shot by multiple guards while standing out in the open should kill just about anybody.

Hood2theBurbs
01-14-2015, 08:37 PM
I'm really tired of people complaining about stealth. It's really not that hard to sneak through enemies filled locations, we have plenty of tools for stealth, take advantage. Phantom blades, berserk blades, smoke bombs, poison smoke, and fire crackers seriously stop complaining and use your brains, be a little creative you'll be surprised how easy it is. I mean the enemy A.I is still an absolute joke why are people having such a hard time?

Perk89
01-14-2015, 08:45 PM
Ubisoft had a lot of good ideas for Unity but they were implemented horribly. The "engaged" parkour, the dedicated stealth system, all these are wonderful concepts that 'L33t' players will adamantly defend because it makes them feel skilled and above the general peasant populace.

in all practicality, those "advancements" were an unmitigated disaster. Parkour has become a nightmare. Entering windows, trying to wall-eject, sticking to places where I don't want to be, forceably being dragged directions (often compromising my stealth) and the general lack of flow in locomotion have made parkour completely unfun. Lest we forget how far "Down Parkour" has come from the E3 demo, where Arno would leap off buildings, grab on to various poles and slowly make an awesome descent to the ground, to the in-game model which simply has us fall to 4 or 5 different ledges before hitting the ground (often times when we simply wanted to use the "drop" feature anyways and save time.)

Also agreed that stealth is a nightmare. I believe it has a lot to do with the new engine though. I get that you want to show off your stuff Ubisoft, but seriously, it's remarkable how a top-secret order can recruit 60 plus men to guard even the most insignificant of things. It isn't just that though. Poor mission design has been a huge part. How many Assassination missions have you done where your target is conveniently perched, motionless, upon an elevated platform while 10 guards stand around him, also motionless, conveniently facing every possible direction? That's just lazy mission design. It is, or course, not limited to that. Psychic guards that can see through walls, and the qualm I've mentioned a number of times recently that was for reasons beyond comprehension, brought back from AC3's bad stealth system-silent, unseen activities giving away your position in restricted areas if they are classified as "high profile."

But hey, just like in previous games, at least if the poor stealth system falls apart at least we can use our advanced arsenal and insanely deep roster of combat techniques to have some fun, right?
No, we can't do that either? That was all removed? What? Why?

Shame.

MonsterBot314
01-14-2015, 08:56 PM
I'm going to guess with there hands?

Jackdaw951
01-14-2015, 08:59 PM
Sorry, but since you made it personal with that "l33t/peasant" comment, I can't let your post go unchallenged. If you don't get the new system because you're mentally stuck in the old, I can't help you. Only you can learn the new ropes. As I said, the window mechanic works well most of the time. The key is to stop pressing all the other buttons frantically. It's not bad, but also not perfect. Wall eject requires a tap of the "Up" button (A, for Xbox users). Holding the "Up" button for any length of time means climb, regardless of what else may be pressed or tilted.

How exactly is parkour a nightmare? Arno is very predictable once you get used to him. And you can direct him up or down for the first time ever. And he still does do the "awesome" leaps and swings on the way down, if you direct him properly with high profile + joystick + "Down". This system is notably more polished than Black Flag's, and I love that game like no other AC.

No guard has ever seen me through a wall, or even through a stone pillar. There is a sort of hive mind, which I grant is not realistic. But if you're suddenly detected by a guard who didn't see you, then you were also detected by a guard who did.

And I don't know how anyone could fault the number of ways in which you can put some serious hurt on your enemies. If anything, attack methods are overpowered.

Henge1759
01-15-2015, 02:38 AM
How exactly is parkour a nightmare?.

My Character has hung from window frames, push drop button he lands on balcony. Push forward to walk in door on balcony, climbs above onto window frame. Rinse, repeat. On the church steeples that have spires around them, I try to drop down, he goes up onto a spire. A lot.
On the aspect of fighting and stealth, I'm sure as I progress more into the game, I can equip stuff to make Arno a god. Early on though, it gets really old,and not fun to play when you keep getting enemies sent after you in droves. Also with stealth, I have had the NPCs that are allies, give me away on missions. In the middle of stealth, next thing I know 20 enemies are shooting at me.
I am aware that those of us who liked the old games with Ezio are being told it was unrealistic. I loved those games and on some level I do agree they were easy. The combat now is very difficult, You get shot from someone, who there is no indication you were even in combat with. I am still very early in the game, but every mission I have done so far, has way to many enemies to fend off. If 1 guard away from the others sees me and I kill him in seconds, it has somehow alerted all the guards in a 2 block radius.

Hrafnagud72
01-15-2015, 02:50 AM
I'm really tired of people complaining about stealth. It's really not that hard to sneak through enemies filled locations, we have plenty of tools for stealth, take advantage. Phantom blades, berserk blades, smoke bombs, poison smoke, and fire crackers seriously stop complaining and use your brains, be a little creative you'll be surprised how easy it is. I mean the enemy A.I is still an absolute joke why are people having such a hard time?

That's debatable. It's hard to be stealthy when guards have x-ray vision and can see you through walls.

Henge1759
01-15-2015, 02:50 AM
The character growth through skills and gear augments I welcome. I think it's terrific, very RPG-like.

Don't get me wrong I like the Idea character growth, I come from a long age of dork D&D players. But come on, do I really need to spend a skill pt. on how to double assassinate 2 guards, standing right beside each other. I'm not a real life assassin, but if 2 people were standing next to each other on the street, I am pretty sure I can stab them both in the neck without training. Also spend a skill pt. on firing a ranged weapon? I was able to pull a trigger the first time I picked up a gun, with pretty good aim as well. If you want to do the skill pt thing, then make it improvements, like firing on the run, or long distance accuracy. Or make it so you can learn to make special moves in hand to hand combat.

xPLAY3R1x
01-15-2015, 03:24 AM
The Parkour is not improved, IMO. In fact, it's become needlessly complicated for the sake of "realism", or even "flair".

The new turn Arno has actually BREAKS the rhythm of Parkour since I don't know when he is going to do it which means he can just pivot on a roof corner and be going the opposite direction I want him to go. That's not improvement. It's just needless complication and player frustration.

The window bug is the worst. There is a CO-OP mission where you have to literally do a speed run through second story windows to kill certain baddies, and the current system makes it damn near impossible because he just will not go through the damn window like he is supposed to! This is more of what I mean about the Parkour becoming frustrating instead of being improved on, or rewarding.

Arno also sticking to things he should not makes a lot of missions a lot harder than they should be if the system were done properly.

I don't know how many times I have been in the perfect position perched on a i-beam, or above two guards who decide to move away, but I can't easily follow them (from above) because Arno wants to either leap toward the wall, or even down on the ground. The camera itself controls Arno's direction, but I think it is bugged as well since it sometimes forces itself to align in directions you don't want to go, for whatever reason. So, not only am I fighting the Parkour mechanics, but also the camera at the same time! None of the previous games were this bad. In fact, the older games were a lot more fluid and "realistic feeling" than Unity.

The "stealth" in this game is laughable. You really don't even need to do stealth per say to finish the game, or the CO-OP missions. You can build a "tank" character and just wade in swords swinging and guns blazing and achieve the same thing as sneaking around for five minutes waiting for one guard to come over so you can Cover Assassinate him. I also agree we need ways to attract guards like whistling, or whispering (Splinter Cell) since this is a corner stone of Stealth a.k.a. Get the AI to come to you; separate and dominate.

Also, I mentioned this on another thread, there is a definite input lag / delay when issuing Arno commands. This just compounds the above issues to the Nth degree...

Jackdaw951
01-15-2015, 04:41 AM
I assure you guys that with experience, 90% of your parkour gripes will go away. I have nearly no issues at all now running across rooftops or up & down walls. I know how far Arno will jump, what it takes to get him to drop on to a rope across buildings, how to hop 2-3 times down from a high point to the ground, and how to leap across buildings reliably without breaking my stride. Yes, there are rough spots, and these can get frustrating at times. But they will be few and far between after some determined practice. Most of the time, it all feels very much like acrobatic freedom. It's particularly important to let go of the high profile button at times when Arno might jump up when you don't want him to. And aim his path more with Look than with Move.

Freyr1983
01-15-2015, 07:02 AM
IMO , i think the parkour in unity have improved alot from the old games . as give more control how you want arno to move up and can parkour down more easily than previous ac games.

Hood2theBurbs
01-15-2015, 07:08 AM
That's debatable. It's hard to be stealthy when guards have x-ray vision and can see you through walls.

This RARELY happens. It happened only twice to me, how common is this REALLY? So common that it's game breaking? I seriously doubt that.

Kiltraki
01-15-2015, 02:13 PM
I actually found the gameplay in this far superior to past games. After playing Unity for a while it is such a drag to go back to the previous systems. Especially pre-AC3. So clunky.

It made me appreciate Unity's gameplay that much more. There is definitely improvement to be made (stealth more smooth and less sticky, combat less glitchy and parkour less floaty and clunky) but it is a good step in the right direction.

Shahkulu101
01-15-2015, 02:24 PM
The core mechanics and Unity are leaps and bounds above any other Assassin's Creed game -- same goes for the assassination missions. To me, that cannot be argued. That being said they still need some serious work, especially stealth which is just so below par in comparison to other stealth titles - even Ubi's own games - which is baffling to me since AC is supposed to be their most cherished franchise.

Whether or not is more fun is subjective however, I personally got bored of being a one man army and exerting no effort whatsoever but each to their own...

phoenix-force411
01-15-2015, 02:27 PM
Try soloing the "The Tournament" mission's flag challenge, that will really make this thread seem a lot more useful.

Henge1759
01-16-2015, 01:45 AM
The window bug is the worst. There is a CO-OP mission where you have to literally do a speed run through second story windows to kill certain baddies, and the current system makes it damn near impossible because he just will not go through the damn window like he is supposed to! This is more of what I mean about the Parkour becoming frustrating instead of being improved on, or rewarding.

I assume you mean the one where you need to kill 9 snipers in pretty quick fashion. LOL that was the finale straw that made me start this thread. It was really pissing me off!!!!