PDA

View Full Version : I don't get the Sage plot (might contain spoilers)

dargor5
01-14-2015, 08:02 PM
I've finished black flag and the guy at the end remembers all like the sage we saw with Edward. With Germain he hints at memories too.

Are these memories like ones from the animus (pass through ancestors) or are the sages playing with reencarnation? Also was the first sage human? Or the other race?.

Because you never see a hint of the sage having children so I assume is just a reencarnation kinda thing. Or is it something else?

Aphex_Tim
01-14-2015, 08:08 PM
Not entirely sure how it works but a Sage is essentially an incarnation of Aita, who was Juno's husband. If you recall in AC3, Juno talked about how they tried many different things to try and save themselves from the solar flare. One of these things was an experiment involving Aita, which ended with Juno having to kill him. I think it has something to do with that but perhaps another forum member can explain this better.

Anyway, a Sage basically has two identities but the three sages we've seen so far were all fully aware of that (though it's never really touched upon with Germain) and they all tried to bring back Juno in some way. I think this is some weird-*** backlash from one these first-civ experiments.

aL_____eX
01-14-2015, 08:11 PM
ACIII and ACIV Spoilers obviously
Sages are all reincarnations of Aita, Juno's husband. They are all human beings with their own mind but additionally carry Aita's memories within them. Aita (or the current sage - altough there can be more than one at a time) wants to bring back Juno into a living form since she's currently trapped in the world's network structures.

I can only recommend to watch the ACIII Desmond missions if you haven't played it or watched it already. There you will learn more about it.

edit: Aphex beat me. To learn more about said experiments, watch the videos I recommended.

dargor5
01-14-2015, 08:18 PM
ACIII and ACIV Spoilers obviously
Sages are all reincarnations of Aita, Juno's husband. They are all human beings with their own mind but additionally carry Aita's memories within them. Aita (or the current sage - altough there can be more than one at a time) wants to bring back Juno into a living form since she's currently trapped in the world's network structures.

I can only recommend to watch the ACIII Desmond missions if you haven't played it or watched it already. There you will learn more about it.

edit: Aphex beat me. To learn more about said experiments, watch the videos I recommended.

So how does his memories get transfer is never explained?

Ureh
01-14-2015, 08:21 PM
It's sorta explained in one of Kavanagh's letters:
http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Thom_Kavanagh's_letters

In my originale Lyfe, I died in the midst of my Beloved’s experiment. This Method of which she spoke – of the Transference of Mind into Machine, and from thence into a Human Body –- was a Failure. Yet an instructive one, I believe. For in my last Moments, I Recollect her comforts to me, and a cleare Promise that my death would not be an end, but a beginning.

“There is another Way, Beloved,” said she to me, “Imperfect, yet possible. Firstly, I will agree to carry out Minerva’s experiments, her terrible Gift to the Humans. Yet my purpose will be contrary;-- my purpose will be your Immortality! In collecting Samples of the Code in the Human’s blood, I will add my own Augmentations;-- Samples of your Code, transfigured in such a way that when the proper Pieces come together, it may further transfigure the Zygote of a newly conceived Child. In this Way, you shall be reborn, again and again throughout the Ages. With luck, this recessive Recurrence shall never die out, but travell on like a Raft downstream along the Tide of Inheritance.”

wvstolzing
01-14-2015, 08:27 PM
[COLOR=#000000]It's sorta explained in one of Kavanagh's letters:

The Kavanagh letters offer the best insight into who a 'Sage' is.

I'm not at all sure what the significance of Germain being a Sage is. Seems pretty arbitrary to me.

aL_____eX
01-14-2015, 08:28 PM
The Kavanagh letters offer the best insight into who a 'Sage' is.

I'm not at all sure what the significance of Germain being a Sage is. Seems pretty arbitrary to me.
Filler stuff to make Unity's story look more exciting with some 'wow' effect. At least for those who actually noticed his different coloured eyes. All the others and people who started with Unity don't get any clue...

Perk89
01-14-2015, 08:55 PM
Yeah. What they said.

what I personally want to know- Is the Sage supposed to be the "Father of Understanding"...?

dargor5
01-14-2015, 09:03 PM
Yeah. What they said.

what I personally want to know- Is the Sage supposed to be the "Father of Understanding"...?

I think is God. Who is god to them well....

Hans684
01-14-2015, 09:07 PM
I think is God. Who is god to them well....

No god, most likely a First Civ. member that's yet to be revealed.

dargor5
01-14-2015, 09:12 PM
No god, most likely a First Civ. member that's yet to be revealed.
My point exactly.
Juno, Minerva, both gods of roman times so another first civ person migt be this god.

Why do they call him father of understanding is yet to be seen. Im scared that maybenwhen we see it itll be the end of the franchise :(

Hans684
01-14-2015, 09:16 PM
My point exactly.
Juno, Minerva, both gods of roman times so another first civ person migt be this god.

Why do they call him father of understanding is yet to be seen. Im scared that maybenwhen we see it itll be the end of the franchise :(

Their not gods, they simply came before and was far more advanced than us.

dargor5
01-14-2015, 09:22 PM
Their not gods, they simply came before and was far more advanced than us.

Man I know that, :p but they were gods in the eyes of ancient civ like romas. This you see in AC2

SixKeys
01-14-2015, 09:45 PM
I hate the idea that the Father of Understanding might actually be a person. I always figured it was just a metaphor for enlightenment.

aL_____eX
01-14-2015, 10:00 PM
I hate the idea that the Father of Understanding might actually be a person. I always figured it was just a metaphor for enlightenment.
I still think it is.

wvstolzing
01-14-2015, 10:01 PM
I hate the idea that the Father of Understanding might actually be a person.

Same here.

I always figured it was just a metaphor for enlightenment.

Same, likewise; though I also find the presuppositions behind the association, possibly of 'the' Enlightenment with Templar ideology, greatly irritating.
I'm aware that in the 'extended universe', they're trying to paint a nuanced picture of the Templars' role in the passage into modernity -- and part of the story appears to be that in the heydays of the Italian Renaissance, they pretty much 'blew it' with the Borgias -- though it's hardly satisfying.

Locopells
01-15-2015, 12:43 AM
To clear up the one point that had not been explained by others - Aita's DNA (presumably with his memories encoded, in the same way that they are with everyone else in the AC universe) was implanted into human DNA by Juno. When it activates in a mother's womb (which seems to be random) then it overwrites the DNA of a recently conceived child (sorta like Trojan malware) with Aita's, causing a Sage to be born.

Don't ask me how that's supposed to work (sci-fi...), but presumably Juno intended the Sage's to help resurrect her.

Namikaze_17
01-15-2015, 01:45 AM

I think it still may be for the Templars...

Germain ( Aita) must know/known someone/something that's behind the saying.

But is it a person? Perhaps. But I doubt it.