PDA

View Full Version : Dead Kings review by IGN

SOLIDSOUTHCENTRA
01-13-2015, 03:40 AM
Review is up on IGN. It is 1/4 the size of Paris. Not bad.

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-13-2015, 03:59 AM
http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/01/13/assassins-creed-unity-dead-kings-dlc-review

7.8/10

+Large New Area
+New Weapons / Enemies
+Extra Side Missions

– Convoluted Storyline
– Lantern Sections

'Convoluted storyline'. So you can bet there will be first civ stuff :)

By the way don't listen to the actual review. IGN are terrible when it comes to credibility. Just posting the review for discussion and interest.

Perk89
01-13-2015, 04:40 AM
Looks like they threw in more side mission content rather than adding a lot to the main campaign. That's frustrating.

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-13-2015, 05:04 AM
Apparently there is an annoying Robin style kid that works with Arno.

Ughhhhhhh

SquareToShoot
01-13-2015, 12:28 PM
But it's free!!!

The_Kiwi_
01-13-2015, 12:32 PM
But it's free!!!

So are a great many things, not all of which are good
But it's true, no one should complain about getting free content, but they have the right to complain about the quality of it

I for one am looking forward to it, but I don't trust/like IGN at all so I'll be going into the DLC with a clear mind
Hopefully it redeems the atrocity of the main story

Shahkulu101
01-13-2015, 01:18 PM
I watched spoilery video coverage and interestingly...

Arno is helping Marquis De Sade with a certain task, in order to gain safe passage out of France and into Egypt. Could they have been planning a sequel for Arno and then threw out the plans after his, and Unity's, reception? Perhaps there IS a second Arno game coming this year and Victory is 2016's game. I swear if they cook up something interesting between him and Napoleon and then just drop it I'll be really annoyed.

I-Like-Pie45
01-13-2015, 03:39 PM

Arno is helping Marquis De Sade with a certain task, in order to gain safe passage out of France and into Egypt. Could they have been planning a sequel for Arno and then threw out the plans after his, and Unity's, reception? Perhaps there IS a second Arno game coming this year and Victory is 2016's game. I swear if they cook up something interesting between him and Napoleon and then just drop it I'll be really annoyed.

oh well as a fan of connor I look forward to mocking Arno fans who come in with the inevitable give us an Arno sequel threads

Journey93
01-13-2015, 03:42 PM

god I hope not I (and many others) have had enough Arno for a lifetime
and I doubt they will go back to their old formula (The Ezio days)

Dead Kings was already finished (or almost finished) by the time Unity released so of course they couldn't just abandon it but even if they wanted
to bring Arno back they wouldn't because Unity was so badly received

dargor5
01-13-2015, 03:46 PM
This guys at IGN talking like "hey its free yay" its not free because ubis are nice guys. Its free as an apology for the jnitial mess of Unity

Shahkulu101
01-13-2015, 03:49 PM
oh well as a fan of connor I look forward to mocking Arno fans who come in with the inevitable give us an Arno sequel threads

That would require Arno to have fans.

I-Like-Pie45
01-13-2015, 03:51 PM
Normally I'd say I ate them, but I personally don't like the taste of French people. They're at least better tasting than the British, but they're not to my culinary style.

Megas_Doux
01-13-2015, 03:55 PM

I liked Arno more than Unity´s history itself and I think his and Connor´s situation are different because Arno is almost non existent within and without the fandom for bad or good whereas Connors has been way more "discussed" than him for bad or good......

If Arno does not get a sequel I wont cry, cough, cough, spam, cough, cough the hell out of this place about it. However If a sequel was already planned for 2015 and then cancelled only to push/rush another tittle with another protagonist -Victory- out the door to meet the "annual game" requirement, then I´ll pissed.

Having seconds thoughts, wasting Napoleon would be shame.... But what can you do about it???????

Namikaze_17
01-13-2015, 04:08 PM
However If a sequel was already planned for 2015 and then cancelled only to push/rush another tittle with another protagonist -Victory- out the door to meet the "annual game" requirement, then I´ll pissed.

I agree.

I may not like Arno, but him potentially getting screwed out of his sequel does suck.

Plus that ending following up to a Napoleonic Wars game would've been nice to see at least.

Megas_Doux
01-13-2015, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE=Megas_Doux;10516036] However If a sequel was already planned for 2015 and then cancelled only to push/rush another tittle with another protagonist -Victory- out the door to meet the "annual game" requirement, then I´ll pissed.[ /QUOTE]

I agree.

I may not like Arno, but him potentially getting screwed out of his sequel does suck.

Plus that ending following up to a Napoleonic Wars game would've been nice to see at least.

Not only because of that, but mostly due to the fact that rushing a game is THE worst choice......I wont stomach another $60 beta product again.

DumbGamerTag94
01-13-2015, 04:33 PM
god I hope not I (and many others) have had enough Arno for a lifetime
and I doubt they will go back to their old formula (The Ezio days)

Dead Kings was already finished (or almost finished) by the time Unity released so of course they couldn't just abandon it but even if they wanted
to bring Arno back they wouldn't because Unity was so badly received

i find it funny when people say "Unity was so badly received". Based on what????? You can't go off of this forum because this is barely even anything close to 1% of AC players. Besides that people on these forums are wayyyyy over the top in their expectations and farrrrr to nitpicky of anything in all the AC games. Hell if you go by this forums General consensus on the AC series AC2 would be divine perfection and all other AC games have 0/5 ratings.

The truth is IGN gave unity a 7.8/10. Metacritic gave it 3.5/5. And the Xbox live reviews for the game give it 4/5 stars. Based on these(two of which are aggregate scores based on many reviews but also allows haters who angrily give it 0 ratings to drag down the average due to outliers which very much harms the statistics due to their reactionary rather than honest reviews) Unity averages between these 76% positive reviews. That's a fairly decent positive response. Especially when considering most people's major problem was glitches and most reviews were made before the patches. That's even more impressive because it's reception was still 76% positive WITH THE GLITCHES! So with the bugs fixed I'm sure the general public will find it even more favorable.

I'd be so bold as to predict an 80-85% positive review rating average if people were surveyed among the general population rather than a poll on here.

Journey93
01-13-2015, 05:09 PM
i find it funny when people say "Unity was so badly received". Based on what????? You can't go off of this forum because this is barely even anything close to 1% of AC players. Besides that people on these forums are wayyyyy over the top in their expectations and farrrrr to nitpicky of anything in all the AC games. Hell if you go by this forums General consensus on the AC series AC2 would be divine perfection and all other AC games have 0/5 ratings.

The truth is IGN gave unity a 7.8/10. Metacritic gave it 3.5/5. And the Xbox live reviews for the game give it 4/5 stars. Based on these(two of which are aggregate scores based on many reviews but also allows haters who angrily give it 0 ratings to drag down the average due to outliers which very much harms the statistics due to their reactionary rather than honest reviews) Unity averages between these 76% positive reviews. That's a fairly decent positive response. Especially when considering most people's major problem was glitches and most reviews were made before the patches. That's even more impressive because it's reception was still 76% positive WITH THE GLITCHES! So with the bugs fixed I'm sure the general public will find it even more favorable.

I'd be so bold as to predict an 80-85% positive review rating average if people were surveyed among the general population rather than a poll on here.

^ you do know that even Ubisofts stock went down by 9% after Unity right? Also were you even on the internet when it was released?
there was a huge ****storm because of all the glitches and bugs it was a unfinished game

only a 7.8 for such a hyped game is not enough for Ubisoft have you seen it winning any GOTY? nope
so of course it wasn'T a complete flop and I imagine the sales were very good BUT for AC standards it was badly received

couple that with a lackluster story the majority didn't like at all, no MD progression etc. overall the game was a major disappoinment for fans and for Ubisoft sry but its the truth

Namikaze_17
01-13-2015, 05:23 PM
Not only because of that, but mostly due to the fact that rushing a game is THE worst choice......I wont stomach another $60 beta product again.

I understand...

Assassin_M
01-13-2015, 05:35 PM
Eeeeeuuiiiihhhhhhh. Convoluted story line. That is very specific. Too specific. So specific that I may know what they're talking about.

Frank9182011
01-13-2015, 05:36 PM
Anyone playing this yet able to confirm the presence of ambient music in the new map?

Megas_Doux
01-13-2015, 05:40 PM
Eeeeeuuiiiihhhhhhh. Convoluted story line. That is very specific. Too specific. So specific that I may know what they're talking about.

Which is?

Assassin_M
01-13-2015, 05:42 PM
Which is?
There's probably gonna something unexplained or out of nowhere like the animal powers in AC III. Or maybe Minerva will appear again. Giving a message to Desmond but forgetting that she screwed up badly and that he's dead and that Arno is not his ancestor.

DumbGamerTag94
01-13-2015, 05:58 PM
^ you do know that even Ubisofts stock went down by 9% after Unity right? Also were you even on the internet when it was released?
there was a huge ****storm because of all the glitches and bugs it was a unfinished game

only a 7.8 for such a hyped game is not enough for Ubisoft have you seen it winning any GOTY? nope
so of course it wasn'T a complete flop and I imagine the sales were very good BUT for AC standards it was badly received

couple that with a lackluster story the majority didn't like at all, no MD progression etc. overall the game was a major disappoinment for fans and for Ubisoft sry but its the truth

Stocks are not a good gage of quality at all(some really cheap poor quality companies have great stocks(Walmart for example)) Stocks are a speculative market. So whenever there is any bad news at all there's always an adverse effect on stocks. If I had a dollar for every company that drops 9% I'd be a millionaire within a week. All that the stock dropping indicates is that ubi as a company had bad press at that time due to the buggy and premature release of Unity and said bad press caused stock brokers and mutual funds managers to pull some of their shares. That's all. It's not at all anything to do with "Unith sucks let's drop Ubi" it's just speculation and response to bad press. I'd guarantee that almost none of those stock holders ever saw or played the game. So stock is in no way tied to how good a game is at all. It describes the company. Not one particular product. It was ubis handling of unity that dropped stock not Unity itself.

So apparently a game has to be GOTY for it to be good to you???? WTF??? Do you realize how unrealistic that bar is your setting?

Lackluster story that wasn't well received? Based on what? These forums?? Twelve year olds that hate romance stories? Sci Fi Fans? A combination of all three perhaps??? Here's some evidence for the contrary. An excerpt from an article posted recently on these very forums:

"The Writer's Guild nominated ‪#‎ACUnity‬ and ‪#‎ACFreedomCry‬ for achievement in writing and storyline in the videogame field. Freedom Cry was included because it was released at the end of 2013 and therefore made it into the list that way. The award ceremonies will be held Saturday February 14th in LA New York city."
So there's that.........

And what is AC standards?? AC has always been on the fringe of major games and never really has been EXTREMELY a popular. It's still popular but opening nights don't have lines around the block like COD or something(trust me I was there). And ACs typically have gotten the same reception as Unity in terms of percentages. In fact I'd argue Unity would have outdone them if glitches at release hadn't hindered reviews. As it's only rated slightly less than most AC games.

It seems your "AC standard" which is your own invention and opinion.....is simply unrealistic. It seems for you an AC game must be GOTY or it sucks. It's this kind of ridiculous high bar setting that makes all the AC games on this forum get scathingly bad reviews on release and endless debate post release. Many forumers such as yourself seem to have lost a grip on reality and confuse personal opinion of "disappointment" due to not meeting insane expectation with a crappy game. Despite all contradictory evidence.

The facts stand as follows.....unity was fairly well received with an average of 76% favorability(at release with bugs) and most likely even higher since Christmas adding more reviews who have only ever played after patches. And the story has been nominated for an award. Not to mention its countless awards at E3 also.

So no matter what you say the facts still stand that Unity was positively received. Despite all your opinions.

bitebug2003
01-13-2015, 06:13 PM
Assassin’s Creed ® Unity - Dead Kings DLC Launch Trailer [EUROPE]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lwv22M-Bpw

Looks pretty good :)

Journey93
01-13-2015, 06:25 PM
Stocks are not a good gage of quality at all(some really cheap poor quality companies have great stocks(Walmart for example)) Stocks are a speculative market. So whenever there is any bad news at all there's always an adverse effect on stocks. If I had a dollar for every company that drops 9% I'd be a millionaire within a week. All that the stock dropping indicates is that ubi as a company had bad press at that time due to the buggy and premature release of Unity and said bad press caused stock brokers and mutual funds managers to pull some of their shares. That's all. It's not at all anything to do with "Unith sucks let's drop Ubi" it's just speculation and response to bad press. I'd guarantee that almost none of those stock holders ever saw or played the game. So stock is in no way tied to how good a game is at all. It describes the company. Not one particular product. It was ubis handling of unity that dropped stock not Unity itself.

So apparently a game has to be GOTY for it to be good to you???? WTF??? Do you realize how unrealistic that bar is your setting?

Lackluster story that wasn't well received? Based on what? These forums?? Twelve year olds that hate romance stories? Sci Fi Fans? A combination of all three perhaps??? Here's some evidence for the contrary. An excerpt from an article posted recently on these very forums:

So there's that.........

And what is AC standards?? AC has always been on the fringe of major games and never really has been EXTREMELY a popular. It's still popular but opening nights don't have lines around the block like COD or something(trust me I was there). And ACs typically have gotten the same reception as Unity in terms of percentages. In fact I'd argue Unity would have outdone them if glitches at release hadn't hindered reviews. As it's only rated slightly less than most AC games.

It seems your "AC standard" which is your own invention and opinion.....is simply unrealistic. It seems for you an AC game must be GOTY or it sucks. It's this kind of ridiculous high bar setting that makes all the AC games on this forum get scathingly bad reviews on release and endless debate post release. Many forumers such as yourself seem to have lost a grip on reality and confuse personal opinion of "disappointment" due to not meeting insane expectation with a crappy game. Despite all contradictory evidence.

The facts stand as follows.....unity was fairly well received with an average of 76% favorability(at release with bugs) and most likely even higher since Christmas adding more reviews who have only ever played after patches. And the story has been nominated for an award. Not to mention its countless awards at E3 also.

So no matter what you say the facts still stand that Unity was positively received. Despite all your opinions.

I get that you like the game and it sucks if it isn't liked by so many people but you are just being silly
sure this forum is not even 5% of all assassins creeds fans but calling them 12 year olds is just being a butthurt fanboy and what does sci fi have to do with anything??
just because we wanted more MD? so basically what AC is about?

Also we shouldn't care what players think (not only on these forums but on many other sites player felt Unity was the weakest game so far) but what some Writer's guild thinks WTF? just because they have the same opinion as you? give me a break and e3 awards don't mean **** that was just to generate hype and not even the complete game

its funny how you make your own opinion to be some kind of fact where is this undisputable evidence you keep talking about? you are being desperate and grasping at straws
it was average received at best from a critics perspective and pretty bad from a players perspective

just deal with it jesus it seems you are the one who lost grip on reality stop being a blind fanboy

Perk89
01-13-2015, 06:29 PM
Is someone really arguing that Unity was received favorably? Lol

if you enjoy the game, then by all means, nobody here is going to take issue with that. But let's not try to warp reality. Unity has been one of the biggest distasteful pieces in terms of public reception that I've seen in all my years of gaming. Let's not rewrite history to try and accommodate your personal interest.

Journey93
01-13-2015, 06:33 PM
Is someone really arguing that Unity was received favorably? Lol

if you enjoy the game, then by all means, nobody here is going to take issue with that. But let's not try to warp reality. Unity has been one of the biggest distasteful pieces in terms of public reception that I've seen in all my years of gaming. Let's not rewrite history to try and accommodate your personal interest.

exactly tell that to the guy who's calling people here 12 year olds just because they don't agree with him

aL_____eX
01-13-2015, 06:46 PM
IGN gave it 7.8/10

Too much catacombs I guess :rolleyes:

DumbGamerTag94
01-13-2015, 07:01 PM
I get that you like the game and it sucks if it isn't liked by so many people but you are just contradicting yourself
sure this forum is not even 5% of all assassins creeds fans but calling them 12 year olds is just being a butthurt fanboy and what does sci fi have to do with anything??
just because we wanted more MD? so basically what AC is about?

so we shouldn't care what players think (not only on these forums but on many other sites player felt Unity was the weakest game so far) but what some Writer's guild thinks WTF? just because they have the same opinion as you? give me a break

its funny how you make your own opinion to be some kind of fact it was average at best from a critics perspective and pretty bad from a players perspective
If if if... we can all speculate what could have been thats all I'm hearing fact remains that Unity wasn't received as well as the previous games

just deal with it jesus it seems you are the one who lost grip on reality stop being a blind fanboy

Firstly I don't think ACU was awesome. It's not even close to beat in the series. I'd rate it an 8/10. Which btw is fairly close to the general review numbers floating about (76% specifically). I thought it was good. Nowhere near great.

Second I didn't call all forumers twelve year olds I listed them as a separate category.

Yes I included Sci Fi because of MD. Because depending on if you value the overarching MD narrative more or the self contained historical one it can dramatically change your opinion on the story. As they have largely abandoned MD(after 3 games of lost direction and a plot going nowhere it was an inevitability).

Third. These forums are not even approaching 1% of consumers and nowhere near as close to the 5% you claim.

Fourth I do care what players think. But I won't base my findings for the entire population off of just my own opinion and a few individuals infind on a forum or the comment section of a review. Mainly because only the most radical haters take the time to do that.

Fifth where are your numbers and statistics for your claim that is was generally negatively received by players? Because Xbox live has reviews based on over 1500 players right now and the average is 4/5 stars. Meta critic which aggregates professionals and gamers which gave it a 3.5 out of 5. Which in both of these cases are fairly positive reviews. In Xboxs case very positive. And the professionals ranked it 7.8 out of 10 at IGN. So there's my factual numbers for gamers and professionals where are yours? Bacause all I am seeing is your opinion being spouted over and over again while until this post I had not shared my own opinion.

Sixth. You claim GOTY is an achievement of merit but a writers guild award isn't??? When neither of those things are chosen by gamers btw. Both are chosen by committees. Writers guild being chosen by a game writers Union which makes them pretty darn qualified to judge writing. Where are your credentials? If many game writers nominated it clearly they see some merit there.

Finally. You accuse me of being a biased fanboy when I never even gave my own opinion and instead only used physical evidence. And you give no numbers and only spout opinions. The only number you gave was stock drops which are completely unrelated to the games reception and happen all the time to companies. Showing you clearly have no understanding of how that works either.

but feel free to not properly read my posts. Ignore my facts and numbers and twist my own words against me if you'd like. It won't make you any more credible or correct. It's very clear you are an insanely biased and angry hater unwilling to consider facts and only accepts opinions concurrent with his own as fact. Fell free to continue on that road of you'd like. But I just had to give the true facts and numbers before you continued along your nonsensical opinionated rantings.

Journey93
01-13-2015, 07:16 PM
Firstly I don't think ACU was awesome. It's not even close to beat in the series. I'd rate it an 8/10. Which btw is fairly close to the general review numbers floating about (76% specifically). I thought it was good. Nowhere near great.

Second I didn't call all forumers twelve year olds I listed them as a separate category.

Yes I included Sci Fi because of MD. Because depending on if you value the overarching MD narrative more or the self contained historical one it can dramatically change your opinion on the story. As they have largely abandoned MD(after 3 games of lost direction and a plot going nowhere it was an inevitability).

Third. These forums are not even approaching 1% of consumers and nowhere near as close to the 5% you claim.

Fourth I do care what players think. But I won't base my findings for the entire population off of just my own opinion and a few individuals infind on a forum or the comment section of a review. Mainly because only the most radical haters take the time to do that.

Fifth where are your numbers and statistics for your claim that is was generally negatively received by players? Because Xbox live has reviews based on over 1500 players right now and the average is 4/5 stars. Meta critic which aggregates professionals and gamers which gave it a 3.5 out of 5. Which in both of these cases are fairly positive reviews. In Xboxs case very positive. And the professionals ranked it 7.8 out of 10 at IGN. So there's my factual numbers for gamers and professionals where are yours? Bacause all I am seeing is your opinion being spouted over and over again while until this post I had not shared my own opinion.

Sixth. You claim GOTY is an achievement of merit but a writers guild award isn't??? When neither of those things are chosen by gamers btw. Both are chosen by committees. Writers guild being chosen by a game writers Union which makes them pretty darn qualified to judge writing. Where are your credentials? If many game writers nominated it clearly they see some merit there.

Finally. You accuse me of being a biased fanboy when I never even gave my own opinion and instead only used physical evidence. And you give no numbers and only spout opinions. The only number you gave was stock drops which are completely unrelated to the games reception and happen all the time to companies. Showing you clearly have no understanding of how that works either.

but feel free to not properly read my posts. Ignore my facts and numbers and twist my own words against me if you'd like. It won't make you any more credible or correct. It's very clear you are an insanely biased and angry hater unwilling to consider facts and only accepts opinions concurrent with his own as fact. Fell free to continue on that road of you'd like. But I just had to give the true facts and numbers before you continued along your nonsensical opinionated rantings.

discussing this with you is pointless I can see that now I don't have time to write huge walls of texts
you showing some xbox live numbers doesn't mean anything I'm talking about the general consensus not only on this site (which you constantly bash and say that it consists only of haters even though many here are some of the biggest AC fans I know, just because they don't agree with you and say that Unity sucks) but many other websites too

and if you can'T see that it was badly received from gamers everywhere then I don't know what to tell you
you just keep living in denial and be delusional

bitebug2003
01-13-2015, 07:39 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion - Either disagree or agree with it and desist with the bickering

I enjoyed AC: Unity for it's story, location and history - that's what I have always looked at first and I put it way above AC:3 in that regard.

But it's the gameplay I had issues with - I loved parts of it but other parts were just frustrating (including the Companion app).

There was just too much of everything and not enough main story - the Main campaign(s) are getting shorter and shorter which is a shame.

Too many cockades (for silly rewards).

WAY too many locked chests that required you to fight before you even got near one.
There were times you also had to pick locks on doors to then engage in a fight to then pick the lock on the chest.

The Paris Stories/Murder Mysteries/Enigma's could have been reduced to half the amount.

(I realise the side quests are optional but so is buying the game - that was optional too)

Too many guards in enclosed spaces
Too many people in enclosed spaces

Too many guns!

But as I said I did like the story, location and history and for me that outweighs the downsides of AC:Unity.

And I hope AC: Victory will focus more on the story and less on the side content - (and preferably NO co-op - it's not needed).

The_Kiwi_
01-13-2015, 08:14 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion - Either disagree or agree with it and desist with the bickering

I enjoyed AC: Unity for it's story, location and history - that's what I have always looked at first and I put it way above AC:3 in that regard.

But it's the gameplay I had issues with - I loved parts of it but other parts were just frustrating (including the Companion app).

There was just too much of everything and not enough main story - the Main campaign(s) are getting shorter and shorter which is a shame.

Too many cockades (for silly rewards).

WAY too many locked chests that required you to fight before you even got near one.
There were times you also had to pick locks on doors to then engage in a fight to then pick the lock on the chest.

The Paris Stories/Murder Mysteries/Enigma's could have been reduced to half the amount.

(I realise the side quests are optional but so is buying the game - that was optional too)

Too many guards in enclosed spaces
Too many people in enclosed spaces

Too many guns!

But as I said I did like the story, location and history and for me that outweighs the downsides of AC:Unity.

And I hope AC: Victory will focus more on the story and less on the side content - (and preferably NO co-op - it's not needed).

My hope for Victory is that the inevitable DLC isn't actually part of the main story like AC2 and ACU
Their DLCs are missing chunks of the narrative, and should be there in the beginning
ACU can kinda get away with it, because the chunk it was taken from was from just before the very end, but still, that ending in Unity would probably need DK in order to make sense
DLC should be like The Lost Archive or Freedom Cry, where it's clearly a separate story, but is connected to the main story

BTW I read somewhere that the original team that created the competitive multiplayer will return for Victory, so if this is true, perhaps that would replace co-op?

aL_____eX
01-13-2015, 08:16 PM
My hope for Victory is that the inevitable DLC isn't actually part of the main story like AC2 and ACU
Their DLCs are missing chunks of the narrative, and should be there in the beginning
ACU can kinda get away with it, because the chunk it was taken from was from just before the very end, but still, that ending in Unity would probably need DK in order to make sense
DLC should be like The Lost Archive or Freedom Cry, where it's clearly a separate story, but is connected to the main story

BTW I read somewhere that the original team that created the competitive multiplayer will return for Victory, so if this is true, perhaps that would replace co-op?
Maybe they modify the Coop part in Victory and add some sort of competitive MP again, but no way they are going to drop it after one installment.

Namikaze_17
01-13-2015, 08:24 PM
Never got interested in Multiplayer...it bored me just running around and killing people.

95% of the reason why I'm getting Unity is for the co-op to play with friends.

The other 5% are for Bishop. ^__^

Perk89
01-13-2015, 08:59 PM
I've only just dug into the first couple of memories, and there are some up's and down's:

Stylistically, Franciade reminds me a bit of older AC games which is a definite positive. Paris, while looking nice, lacked a lot of the artistic charm previous games had and I think it definitely hurt the narrative/atmosphere overall. Franciade reminds me a bit of Forli, and seems to get back the environmental charm last gen AC games had.

That said, that moment of bliss is broken when Unity's core elements rear their head. Parkour is still awful and unruly, stealth is a mess, with guards that see through walls and the ability to GPS to my location if I do something "high-profile" hurr durr just as present as ever, and storywise, even through I've only done the first sequence in Ubisoft's defense, is just as Unityish as ever with the what/why/how being explained poorly not only in individual missions but the overarching plot as well.

Perk89
01-13-2015, 09:05 PM

i think AC2's DLC in terms of quality was unquestionably the best in the series. It was just very very high quality. I can see how people who bought the game at release though didn't like how it was done.

Frank9182011
01-13-2015, 09:08 PM
I've only just dug into the first couple of memories, and there are some up's and down's:

Stylistically, Franciade reminds me a bit of older AC games which is a definite positive. Paris, while looking nice, lacked a lot of the artistic charm previous games had and I think it definitely hurt the narrative/atmosphere overall. Franciade reminds me a bit of Forli, and seems to get back the environmental charm last gen AC games had.

That said, that moment of bliss is broken when Unity's core elements rear their head. Parkour is still awful and unruly, stealth is a mess, with guards that see through walls and the ability to GPS to my location if I do something high-profile" hurr durr just as present as ever, and storywise, even through I've only done the first sequence in Ubisoft's defense, is just as Unityish as ever with the what/why/how being poorly explained poorly not only in individual missions but the overarching plot as well.

Ambient music?

aL_____eX
01-13-2015, 09:13 PM
Ambient music?
Am I the only one who is actually hearing ambient sounds in Unity? :rolleyes: Maybe my game is glitched - in a positive way.

ACfan443
01-13-2015, 09:47 PM
Am I the only one who is actually hearing ambient sounds in Unity? :rolleyes: Maybe my game is glitched - in a positive way.

Could you be more specific, what are you hearing exactly? Game is silent except for when you pass nearby cafes where the customers are singing French period songs. The only 'ambient music' glitch I've had is where the 'transition-to-incognito' music gets stuck and loops over and over until you re-enter combat, but that doesn't count since it's a glitch and only a rare occurrence.

If you could record and upload some free-roam gameplay that would be great.

aL_____eX
01-13-2015, 09:50 PM
I can hear ambient music near many of the huge places, in Cafe Theatre, at Notre Dame, in Les Invalides etc. It's not always there, and it feels like it's more noticeable when walking through alleys of poorer districts.

Of course I'm not talking about the 'Shanties'. :)

DanPenfold
01-13-2015, 09:52 PM

Hehe. You sure you can here it?

ACfan443
01-13-2015, 09:59 PM
I can hear ambient music near many of the huge places, in Cafe Theatre, at Notre Dame, in Les Invalides etc. It's not always there, and it feels like it's more noticeable when walking through alleys of poorer districts.

Of course I'm not talking about the 'Shanties'. :)

Those are ambient sounds, not ambient music, you're getting the two mixed up - we can all hear the former.

This is ambient music:

http://youtu.be/KvZHAT7xHO4

And it's most definitely not in the game.

aL_____eX
01-13-2015, 10:03 PM
There are pieces involving piano and violins in Unity so it's ambient music for me. :rolleyes: I will see if I can find the ones I happened to hear in the game so far...

Btw, different parts of the main theme are definitely one of the ambient music pieces kicking in at different locations. Sometimes calmer parts and sometimes more powerful parts. I'm still looking for the other ones I've heard...

Torimoose
01-13-2015, 10:17 PM
I never had any of the problems anyone talked about. Having replayed the AC games through Brotherhood multiple times, the parkour in Unity is superior (even if I do cuss at not being able to get through windows). However, my finish of the game was a "ho-hum, so this is it?" feeling at 99% completion. Since Christmas I have been unable to connect to the Ubisoft servers to play multiplayer with the ragers who refuse to play stealth.

So... No replay value (can't save individual games), starting a new game loses everything I have (including competition wins which I have 2, helix points, millions of livre, and creed points), Multiplayer is the same d^%#ed thing over and over and over with no diversity in the ragers running up and killing guards.

I dl'd the Dead Kings and played the first mission, turned to my husband and said "Well, this sucks. I'm bored, back to Mordor." I don't know if I will bother with it again. Oh and I'm 52, female and I've been a gamer since Space Invaders came out, just in case anyone wants to pass off my comments as a whiney fanboy. My rating from all of the AC games? A very disappointing 5

bitebug2003
01-14-2015, 01:20 AM
I never had any of the problems anyone talked about. Having replayed the AC games through Brotherhood multiple times, the parkour in Unity is superior (even if I do cuss at not being able to get through windows). However, my finish of the game was a "ho-hum, so this is it?" feeling at 99% completion. Since Christmas I have been unable to connect to the Ubisoft servers to play multiplayer with the ragers who refuse to play stealth.

So... No replay value (can't save individual games), starting a new game loses everything I have (including competition wins which I have 2, helix points, millions of livre, and creed points), Multiplayer is the same d^%#ed thing over and over and over with no diversity in the ragers running up and killing guards.

I dl'd the Dead Kings and played the first mission, turned to my husband and said "Well, this sucks. I'm bored, back to Mordor." I don't know if I will bother with it again. Oh and I'm 52, female and I've been a gamer since Space Invaders came out, just in case anyone wants to pass off my comments as a whiney fanboy. My rating from all of the AC games? A very disappointing 5

Aside from ONE co-op mission I played all of them on my own (including the heists).

It's a chore yes but at least there won't be others to break your play-style.

The one I did play with 4 others it was like you said - 'kill everything on sight' (although that mission was hard and I couldn't get through the first part without killing everyone).

Perk89
01-14-2015, 02:15 AM
*minor early DK spoiler*

Leon does a lot for Arno as a character, and though I'm roughly probably about halfway through, I'd say they should have more screen time together. I almost wonder if they were setting Leon up to be the next great Assassin protagonist before Unity... Well.. You know... Imploded... Eh, probably not. Ubi hasn't shown that much commitment to the narrative since the closure of the Ezio trilogy.

and what's with the Outpost missions? It's like they took all of Unity's horrible stealth gameplay candy combines it into one awful, miserable, playground of death and psychic guards

VestigialLlama4
01-14-2015, 10:54 AM
Leon does a lot for Arno as a character, and though I'm roughly probably about halfway through, I'd say they should have more screen time together. I almost wonder if they were setting Leon up to be the next great Assassin protagonist before Unity... Well.. You know... Imploded... Eh, probably not. Ubi hasn't shown that much commitment to the narrative since the closure of the Ezio trilogy.

I was praying for that kid to die. Not because I hated him as a character(he's alright) but because I wanted to see if the "darkest story in the Franchise" was something more than empty marketing air.

Anyway Dead Kings is a turgid terrible DLC campaign, redeemed for the fact that it's free. It's an AC tomb level dolled up into a campaign, the story does nothing, says nothing and means nothing. It doesn't complement the main story (Bonfire and Forli DLC, Da Vinci Disappearance) and it isn't self-contained or unique(Tyranny of Washington, Freedom Cry).

Aphex_Tim
01-14-2015, 11:05 AM
T

http://youtu.be/KvZHAT7xHO4

Goosebumps