PDA

View Full Version : performance issues with nvidia users

CHosIN1
01-12-2015, 06:42 PM
I have not verified the actions on nvidias forums, they have some solutions to stuttering issues here are the links..

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/803028/geforce-900-series/gtx-970-low-fps-in-games-pretty-good-benchmarks-as-far-as-i-can-tell-/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/802242/geforce-900-series/300mhz-underclock-to-stop-voltage-throttle-/3/

If you try hardware or software mods post your results. If it helps

I might give it a try when home tonight. But it states that when the hardware is pushed it throttles itself back. It dosent just apply to 900x series video cards. They happen to use ACU for example..... That being said FYI

Fatal-Feit
01-12-2015, 06:47 PM
Some of our club members should definitely check this out.

Reytime
01-12-2015, 07:42 PM
Hah, so basicly, underclock your GPU by like 25%, lose a few FPS, stutter gone. I'll have to try that out on my 770 before I get a 970 in a few days..

CHosIN1
01-13-2015, 03:02 PM
or up your core voltage. my 970s are overclocked from factory i def think i need to up the voltage some. but the thermal load on the GPU COULD be throttling it back according to articles

Lignjoslav
01-13-2015, 03:17 PM
If I understood correctly, the problem is that some sort of power consumption limit is achieved and that causes throttling. The fix gets rid of the throttling by underclocking the GPU, thus preventing it from reaching the limit.

On AMD side, there is a control panel setting that allows you to tweak the power limit (maximum power usage). If Nvidia has something similar, it might be worth a try.

CHosIN1
01-13-2015, 03:29 PM
If I understood correctly, the problem is that some sort of power consumption limit is achieved and that causes throttling. The fix gets rid of the throttling by underclocking the GPU, thus preventing it from reaching the limit.

On AMD side, there is a control panel setting that allows you to tweak the power limit (maximum power usage). If Nvidia has something similar, it might be worth a try.

that is correct. please post if it works in your case with specs.

Lignjoslav
01-13-2015, 03:37 PM
Well, I don't have any major stutter issues, so I can't say if it's doing anything for Unity or not. The setting does work as intended, though, if I fire up FurMark, the framerate grows linearly with this setting +20% power => +20% framerate. Other applications don't normally bump into this problem, but Unity seems to do so on your cards, so it would be worth a try. The only question is whether there is such a setting on Nvidia cards, because, like I said, I'm an AMD user. But if there is the option, I'd give it a go.

CHosIN1
01-13-2015, 07:39 PM
Well, I don't have any major stutter issues, so I can't say if it's doing anything for Unity or not. The setting does work as intended, though, if I fire up FurMark, the framerate grows linearly with this setting +20% power => +20% framerate. Other applications don't normally bump into this problem, but Unity seems to do so on your cards, so it would be worth a try. The only question is whether there is such a setting on Nvidia cards, because, like I said, I'm an AMD user. But if there is the option, I'd give it a go.

it dont with nvidia control panel but the manufacture usually includes something in it to do it. i will check when home for the proper verbiage inside evga's software. But on the other hand the posters have confirmed it is in some cases hardware locked by in my case 3 resistors. But i thought worth mentioning here. :-)