PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Worth it?

DRascal
01-11-2015, 05:39 AM
Hi this is just an inquiry, perhaps I am being lazy or perhaps I am just AC'd out. I was wondering if Rogue is worth playing if it has anything at all to do with the main story line at all or is just an excuse to play a "Templar" I am a die hard AC player and fan and I got Rogue and Unity at the same time on the same day, I swore I would follow the timeline and play Rogue first. Well after a couple of hours of Rogue which felt alot like AC4 I fell for all the hype about Unity and loaded it up. Now that I have finished Unity to my dismay I find it difficult to boot up Rogue. I don't know if it is just AC burnout or the fact that Unity was lukewarm at best, for me, or that Rogue seem s so much like an AC4 clone( I hope that it isn't, I have too much faiht in UBI for that)

I am still struggling with the fact that we are supposed to be playing a Templar but he just seems like an Assassin with Assassin skills in different colored robes doing Assassin missions with just different title names.

So back to my original question though I know I will play it eventually, I am curious about just how much it is worth, and without any spoilers please, does the story tie in to the rest and will I find it immersive or interesting?

On a side note it would be kinda interesting to play a full fledged born to the bone Templar with Templar training and Templar only skills, perhaps just a DLC, to explore the true Templar philosophy unbiased and first hand.

Donmecca23
01-11-2015, 05:59 AM
I played Unity from launch but I didn't pick up Rogue until boxing day. I actually like Rogue better. The new control and such in Unity are great but I found Rogue more interesting as a whole game. Also - I haven't fallen through the ground once in Rogue, as compared to falling through is several times in Unity.

I liked Rogue's story more than I liked Unity. I would recommend Rogue.

Alphacos007
01-11-2015, 06:06 AM
I recommend Rogue, it's hard to say much without spoiling, but the story was awesome imo. The gameplay on the other hand is pretty much like AC4 with a few minor changes.

Fatal-Feit
01-11-2015, 07:00 AM
If you feel burned out, don't play it. You won't enjoy something you don't want to play. It's a video game. Something you do for entertainment, not a job.

Personally, I played it and love it. About 30 hours in the PS3 version and I can't wait for its PC release. The setting is great (similar to AC3 with IV's finess), the gameplay is fantastic (a good expansion upon IV's), stealth is very present (enough to deem it a stealth game, not the pseudo stealth this franchise used to pass off --pretty much what Black Flag had without the tailing), and the story is fantastic. Shay's a good protagonist, the plot's very unique, and overall, it's pretty good for AC.

That said, the game has got some downsides.

* Not worth the 60$ price tag - No MP or big expansions
* Not much back and forth philosophy going around towards the mid to end game - Yeah, don't expect the a game revolving around the Templar's philosophy. It feels more like a reverse Brotherhood but with a more credible story.
* Voice acting, sounds, and soundtrack are kind of grade B-ish.

SixKeys
01-11-2015, 07:36 AM
Have they announced when Rogue's PC release is yet?

SpiritOfNevaeh
01-11-2015, 07:55 AM

They said "Early 2015."

The_Kiwi_
01-11-2015, 08:35 AM
Rogue is definitely worth it
The story is far more entertaining and more substantial than Unity's
Once Shay turns Templar, the game hooks you

wvstolzing
01-11-2015, 10:24 AM
That's a tricky question to ask on these forums; there's *some way* in which anyone here could consider it 'worth it'.

-- though maybe not at full price, as others have mentioned. You might want to wait for a sale or something, and then gauge whether you still want to play some new AC; if yes, and there's a good discount, it would be a good choice.

travilanche
01-11-2015, 10:55 AM
I played it about halfway through and stopped. The story is great, but the gameplay is identical to ACIV. I probably just played IV too much. But it is exactly the same. And despite Ubi's promise that fighting Assassins would be hard...it isn't. They are barely harder than regular guards. The combat is way too easy. This is the main thing that needs to be updated. Fighting 20 guards is nothing as they attack one at a time still while the others just stand there and watch like a bunch of tards. The AC series could definitely learn a few things from the Arkham series.

i hate to admit this but I am getting burned out on this series. They have to change the combat because it has just gotten ridiculous. It is no fun when every group of guards has Down syndrome. Waaaay too easy.

play it if you aren't tired of black flag. Otherwise skip it.

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-11-2015, 10:59 AM
Guess I'm going against a bit of a crowd here!

I would not recommend Rogue.

If you enjoyed the naval element of AC4 (forts, islands, combat, ship upgrading) then Rogue is essentially a copy+paste of that with some minor tweaks, so the game may be for you.

It doesn't have the charm of AC4 though. I consider Rogue DLC. There are just not enough innovations to justify a full game.

So me personally I would not recommend you buy Rogue. If it's about the lore you can watch a cutscene movie on Youtube, but there are better games out there for the same price tag, or even cheaper.

I can expand on why Rogue is mediocre at best if you would like. More than happy to.

Hans684
01-11-2015, 11:54 AM
The story is worth more then Unity, it's last-gen so don't have to high hopes for gameplay.

The_Kiwi_
01-11-2015, 12:00 PM
The story is worth more then Unity, it's last-gen so don't have to high hopes for gameplay.

Don't undermine the game due to last generation hardware

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-11-2015, 12:06 PM

Well since it's last-gen it doesn't quite have the graphical spectacle of ACU, nor any of the gameplay improvements.

Not saying Rogue is worse because it's last gen, but being current-gen has a lot of benefits.

Hans684
01-11-2015, 12:31 PM

I'm not, just saying it won't have the things like Unity because of it's hardware.

The_Kiwi_
01-11-2015, 12:36 PM
Well since it's last-gen it doesn't quite have the graphical spectacle of ACU, nor any of the gameplay improvements.

Not saying Rogue is worse because it's last gen, but being current-gen has a lot of benefits.

That's rather subjective though.

I'm not, just saying it won't have the things like Unity because of it's hardware.

Just because these "things" are only in Unity because of better hardware, it doesn't mean these "things" are better

Hans684
01-11-2015, 01:10 PM
Just because these "things" are only in Unity because of better hardware, it doesn't mean these "things" are better

Can you show where I said it was better?

The_Kiwi_
01-11-2015, 01:30 PM
Can you show where I said it was better?

I never said that you said it was
What I said was its own point

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-11-2015, 01:52 PM
That's rather subjective though.

Some of those things are definitely subjective. However most people seem to agree that the combat is better. Obviously some are not happy with it and still prefer the spam counter-fest of the previous games, but most seem to agree it's better. Parkour seems to be 50/50, and stealth, while not perfect is definitely better than previous games.

Also you get things like visual and audio improvements.

But yes I see what you mean

Will_Lucky
01-11-2015, 04:29 PM

The PC version was actually rated by the German Rating authority last month so take from that what you will.

THE_ELF1969
01-11-2015, 07:56 PM
I bought rogue after xmas and got it for $40 which I still think is to much for what you get. Now with that being said I liked the story line and the game does play like black flag but to see the other side of the fued was refreshing. I just think they threw it out there like hey heres something till you can afford a ps4 and thanks for the money. I will always play assassins creed till they stop making them anymore because I like the story to it but if they keep treating the players as a bank then I will just stop giving them money and watch the cut scenes on youtube to get the story. If they keep going on with this way of thinking then they will lose their base and will die out quickly.

wvstolzing
01-11-2015, 08:22 PM
If you're intending to get this for PC, it might be wiser to wait for one of those ridiculous sales that Steam has at the beginning of Summer.

For consoles, you could try getting it used ... I just sold my PS4 Unity for $35, actually. Similar deals would pop up for Rogue sooner or later.

NondairyGold
01-11-2015, 09:43 PM
It's got it's pro's and con's but overall, I feel it's well worth getting. Apparently it's being released on PC on the 31st of March.

http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Creed-Rogue-PC/dp/B00OAPODFY

Selestina118
01-12-2015, 04:41 AM
I got both Rogue and Unity for Christmas, so I've been playing a little of each here and there. I'm a bit farther in Rogue and I like it a little better. While Unity is shiny, I like Rogue a bit more - at the get go it felt a bit more solid since it was on the tried and true old-gen system. I'm not going to lie though - Shay has quickly become one of my favorite characters in the series, so I tend to play it more just for him. :p (Who knows - maybe I'll start to like Arno more as I get further into Unity as well?)

The_Kiwi_
01-12-2015, 04:42 AM
I got both Rogue and Unity for Christmas, so I've been playing a little of each here and there. I'm a bit farther in Rogue and I like it a little better. While Unity is shiny, I like Rogue a bit more - at the get go it felt a bit more solid since it was on the tried and true old-gen system. I'm not going to lie though - Shay has quickly become one of my favorite characters in the series, so I tend to play it more just for him. :p (Who knows - maybe I'll start to like Arno more as I get further into Unity as well?)

I wouldn't count on it.

Selestina118
01-12-2015, 04:50 AM
I wouldn't count on it.

Yeah - that's what I'm afraid of. ^.^;; At least I can dress him up like the Phantom of the Opera.

Ziiimmie
01-12-2015, 07:06 AM
Im going to buy this game soon the price is dropping fast which is great and im craving some new AC tbh last one i bought was ACIV might purchase Freedom Cry dlc also while im at it haha!

Ureh
01-12-2015, 08:10 PM
Im going to buy this game soon the price is dropping fast which is great and im craving some new AC tbh last one i bought was ACIV might purchase Freedom Cry dlc also while im at it haha!

I'm with you on that one.

I've got an Andrew Jackson and I'm not afraid to use it!