PDA

View Full Version : Better optimization anyone?

leo_assassin93
01-09-2015, 10:51 AM
Hello Ubisoft,

I write this with a belief that you guys do care a bit for your PC customers since you still port to PC. I can't even begin to express how disappointed I was when I saw ACU's minumum system requirements. A GTX 680 and an octacore AMD processor as minimum. Anyone who knows anything about consoles and PCs knows that we don't need the kind of hardware you guys recommended to match up to current gen consoles. My rig is a decent one (by my definition, a gtx 660, AMD FX 6300 combination) and I don't even meet minimum!!

Well, this is partly me being a cry baby about not meeting requirements (though, I could buy it and play it at low setting like some do, but I refuse to do so). But this is also me being pissed off about you believing that a majority of PC gamers own $1000 and higher builds (had a snicker when even these guys had trouble with ACU).

So here's a request from a guy who can afford a gtx 660 at best and from all those like me, could you PLEASE make and optimize Assassin's Creed titles such that a majority of fans can play future titles (the Victorian London setting is getting me so pumped!!) not just those who own GTX 980s. At least till the next gen of consoles arrive. At your current rate of minimum requirement demands, we'll probably need $3000 systems to run you "next-gen" titles.

Yours sincerely

jandraelune
01-09-2015, 12:15 PM
A little winded explanation of the source of lag on PCs. It's a bottleneck of Draw Call's.

Here's the thing with the consoles running on lower end hardware and preforming better then PC on higher end hardware.

Consoles are making use of Mantle and APU cores...both have the same APU which is odd as PS4 runs better quality then Xbox One.

This APU is a dual quad core CPU at 1.75ghz per core and the GPU...this gets a little confusing. The GPU is 18 CU's with 64 core's per CU for a total of 1,152 cores running at 800mhz per.

Now the APU and Mantle will put the work load on what ever core is free and in this case that is lets just say 8 for CPU and 18 for GPU...thats a total of 26 threads. PC's with out Mantle are limited to at most 16 with Intel's HT of 2 per core and 8 with AMD's 1 per core. Here with Mantle you remove the middleman and the CPU does not have to have ALL traffic passed through it but instead traffic goes directly between asker and source. This removes on it's own 3/4's of the CPU overhead. So not only is all that overhead removed but you have larger bus width and a faster bus.

PC version of Unity that I know of is not running on Mantle but Dx11. Dx11 is limited to 10k Draw Calls...but Mantle is aimmed at 100k Draw Calls for the same performance lvl.

YazX_
01-09-2015, 11:31 PM
A little winded explanation of the source of lag on PCs. It's a bottleneck of Draw Call's.

Here's the thing with the consoles running on lower end hardware and preforming better then PC on higher end hardware.

Consoles are making use of Mantle and APU cores...both have the same APU which is odd as PS4 runs better quality then Xbox One.

This APU is a dual quad core CPU at 1.75ghz per core and the GPU...this gets a little confusing. The GPU is 18 CU's with 64 core's per CU for a total of 1,152 cores running at 800mhz per.

Now the APU and Mantle will put the work load on what ever core is free and in this case that is lets just say 8 for CPU and 18 for GPU...thats a total of 26 threads. PC's with out Mantle are limited to at most 16 with Intel's HT of 2 per core and 8 with AMD's 1 per core. Here with Mantle you remove the middleman and the CPU does not have to have ALL traffic passed through it but instead traffic goes directly between asker and source. This removes on it's own 3/4's of the CPU overhead. So not only is all that overhead removed but you have larger bus width and a faster bus.

PC version of Unity that I know of is not running on Mantle but Dx11. Dx11 is limited to 10k Draw Calls...but Mantle is aimmed at 100k Draw Calls for the same performance lvl.

Consoles dont use mantle and XBox1 will not support it, Mantle is targeted for PC originally and not intended for consoles, PS4 is using its own libraries, low level API GNM, high level API GNMX and shader language PSSL, Xbox1 is using a modified version of DX, though, the part about bottleneck in drawcalls for PC and consoles is true, consoles dont have draw calls bottleneck since the APIs used have low level access to hardware but on the other hand they have weak hardware, while PCs are bottlenecked by DX11 which masks low level access to hardware, AMD Mantle concept is not new, several APIs existed before but they didnt get adopted by developers.

Mantle is an API and any game should support it (Coding game using it) to be used when running it, none of Ubisoft games use Mantle on PC and i dont believe this will change for released or new games due to Nvidia is being a game tech partner with Ubisoft.

However, DX12 is coming this fall and it will support low level access, threading and many other features which boosts performance up to 70% according to Microsoft benchmarks, so hopefully we will see games based on DX12 this year.

AherasSTRG
01-10-2015, 12:25 AM

I need to get myself a console that runs Unity using Mantle.

PC version of Unity that I know of is not running on Mantle but Dx11. Dx11 is limited to 10k Draw Calls...

That's the only thing that actually makes sense in Jand's post. Ubisoft employees were just too lazy to code a few extra lines to optimise the game on the PC using the DX11 Library. Ubisoft deliberately sold us an unoptimised product for a second time this year.